Whitlock Motor

Playtime

Visit site
Does anyone know if there is any servicing/maintenance required on a Whitlock/Autohelm drive motor?

The motor has 'steered' the boat for almost 10,000 miles including 1000 miles recently with a very stiff rudder (lower bearing problem). I was particularly wondering if the brushes should be changed at some point - preferably before they actually stop working!

The motor is Model No DU145 and the boat is a Bavaria 38 Ocean, centre cockpit with cable steering. The motor is fitted at the base of the pedestal.

I have asked the same question of the Whitlock Spares agent but, as yet, have not received their reply.

Playtime

Visit site
Apparently my query to winchservicing.com has been passed on to Cliff (I was informed today) so I hope to get a reply from him in the next couple of days.

Playtime

Visit site

Cliff has now replied and can't help. The motor is procured as a complete unit from Lewmar and there are no spares. He has no idea where Lewmar obtain them.

So, back to the original question - should the brushes be changed on such a motor before they actually fail?

Assuming the answer is 'yes', can anyone suggest where replacement brushes might be obtained?

cobolt

Visit site
The DU145 was the Whitlock reference to essentially a Lewmar Constellation Drive, although the design has changed slightly since then.

The motor is a sealed pancake motor, and is not serviceable to change brushes. A replacement motor kit (including mounting ring etc.) is available under part number 89300078

BR.

PARISIENNE

Visit site
Ihave a Lewmar/ Whitlock autopilot chain drive motor which was connected to a Raymarine ST80 System. The steering became very difficult so we removed the motor and the pancake drive. The pancake motor is working and we thing the remaining geers at the other end ot the unit may be frozen. We're about to attack that end but wonder if anyone has had any experience doing this and more importantly, how does one get a maintanence manual or schematic of the entire assembly. Please advise if you have any info. Thanks Tony