Which sub 37 ft yacht to cross the North Atlantic in?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Let me guess, lots of rolling downwind perched atop of a relatively high elevation Moody centre cockpit?

A good friend has circumnavigated in his Moody 36 and still lives aboard. Other friends did the original RAF Tradewinds rally in their Moody 425. No problem.

It's easy to manage a downwind sailplane to reduce rolling.

You will never please everyone though, some are a bit Fussy McFusspot.

RobF

Visit site
I can see why the simplicity of a tiller appeals, but if they're happy with a wheel steered yacht with emergency tiller, I would go down the Hallberg 34 or 352 route.

johnalison

Visit site
I can see why the simplicity of a tiller appeals, but if they're happy with a wheel steered yacht with emergency tiller, I would go down the Hallberg 34 or 352 route.

There are plenty of HR 34s like mine with tillers. I wouldn't regard it as an ideal ocean boat though, having a tall modern rig, though it would be perfectly capable and a number have done it. It also has a spade rudder, which though strong is not what he wants. The 352 is also a bit smaller than he wants and consequently slower, especially with the old rig.

jneale

Visit site
Want a tried and tested? Go to Mailasail/Lynn Rival and read their story. Seems they have now bought a Cat. in Portugal. Will be bringing Lynn Rival back for sale and then taking Cat. back across the Atlantic, No personal interest, other than having met them in Greece many years ago and have followed their adventures with interest ever since though, obviously, not enjoying the bit when taken by Somali pirates.

jwilson

Visit site
It's not for the Golden Globe, but he wants a boat that meets the basic requirements of that race.

"A boat designed prior to 1988 that have a full-length keel with rudder attached to their trailing edge."

After reading about recent spade rudder losses on the Atlantic, he's worried about it.
Not to mention fin keel failures.
He'll be taking the Northern route, so no champagne sailing!

Leaving out good fin and skeg boats seems odd, as others have said many Rivals, some S&S including She 36 and this Victoria 34 just coming up for sale with us are just as seaworthy as Rustlers and have some advantages. A longish fin keel and a skeg-hung rudder are structurally very different from modern deep fins and spades. http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/boats/d59517/d59517.htm - it's even tiller steered ....

GHA

Visit site
I reckon people get too picky over stuff that is simply unimportant. It's only three weeks.

Have been across and back twice in my 1977 moody 33 with no drama. Enjoyed it more than some other yachts I ve been paid to take across or back.

If you put too many limits on it, chances are you will never go???

Absolutely.

Long term way off the beaten track maybe get more involved but Atlantic circuit isn't exactly southern ocean. Then you might want to sell when you get back or go back to weekend/marina sailing so more common designs might be more attractive in that respect. There are a million and one attractive design elements for a cruising boat - many of them contradictory :)

michael_w

Visit site
Why no cruiser-racers? They are usually pretty sturdily built, a darn sight quicker than the heavy displacement tubs that are trotted out as the ideal. Only real drawback is poor tankage. I did my first Atlantic circuit in a Contessa 33. She ran rings round our chums in their 46' HR. Only time they over took us was under power! Also there're are lots to choose from.

Second time we went in an Oyster Heritage. A very good boat, but I miss the Contessa's turn of speed.