Which Oceanis to charter?

G

I'm looking to charter an Oceanis (Beneteau) in South Brittany in September. Does anyone know the difference between the Oceanis 320 and 321? My husband is a landlubber, so 'floating caravan' aspects are important, but I won't be hanging around marinas much, so it'll have to be a proper cruising yacht too. All suggestions gratefully received.

G

I personally would look elsewhere. The term caravan would cover every aspect of an oceanis. Though there folks in the marinas on the solent that will sit all day on a deck chair with a hankie on their head. Take it to sea too risky!!!!!!!!!

G

The 321 is the updated and considerably improved (in some ways)version of the 320 so logicaly you should go for the 321. As a comfortable charter boat it is the better of the two, though it is arguable that the accommodation in the 320 is more suited to offshore cruising. The Oceanises have a reputation for being poor sailing boats which is partly deserved and partly the result of so many people gaining their experience from charter boats with shot sails and poorly set up rigging. Don't expect to find too much stowage in either. In light to moderate conditions a well set up 321 is actually quite a sharp sailing boat but you may find you need to reef quite early to keep the landlubber happy.

Have a good time, whichever boat you sail.