Which Gold Paint for cove line

LOH

Visit site
Greetings
I have tried several gold paints for the cove line on my 1962 Buchanan Vashti yacht which was built in Sutton’s of Great Wakering.
Salt water has destroyed my efforts so far- 5 years - grateful for any help.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
tried gold paint once... not a good outcome over a small number of years it weathered and left marks on the hull. I suspect it comprised of finely ground brass in a liquid medium.

Now use self adhesive gold tape.. works a treat and can be replaced if, as and when with the assistance of a hot air gun (haven't had to do it yet in 10 years)

wrr

Visit site
Having carefully painted with yellow paint, prior to gold leaf, I discovered that you can get coloured size so that any scratches in the gold are less obvious. Gold tape is easier to apply than leaf for this job. 23.5 carat is recommended as it less likely to suffer from the effects of salt water. Wrights of Lymm are a useful source.

tillergirl

Visit site
B & Q Old Gold - small little tin, needs several coats but can be applied one after each immediately after you have finished both sides. I can't remember the product but it is those little 'craft' tins. It stays and stays, cost very little. A small tin lasted about 4 x 3 coats: this is the product of 3 coats. Why on earth would peeps use sellotape or gold leaf! :unsure:

P1040889 by Roger Gaspar, on Flickr