Where would you live

Tranona

Visit site
Im aware of the rules concerning UK VAT paid boats been taken to the EU (the 18 month before EU VAT has to be paid). Im not clear on what the opposite situation would be of, say, a French VAT pad boat going into the UK. Is it also 18 before UK VAT would have to be paid?
Yes

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Im aware of the rules concerning UK VAT paid boats been taken to the EU (the 18 month before EU VAT has to be paid). Im not clear on what the opposite situation would be of, say, a French VAT pad boat going into the UK. Is it also 18 before UK VAT would have to be paid?
Above my pay grade I'm afraid - not sure - I would ask the UK Gov - start at Notice 8: sailing your pleasure craft to and from the UK
and there are links to help pages and other info...

Dennis Clarke

Visit site
Either Devon and Cornwall or the area between Poole and Chichester plus perhaps Essex and Suffolk are the areas of greatest concentration of boats and sailing activity. However as already mentioned they are also the most popular for short term rented accommodation for exactly the same reasons - or indeed for housing of any kind. I suspect that given the ongoing travel restrictions the traditional summer season will get extended and merge with the Christmas season as people grab away time when and where they can. I live in Poole and it has many advantages, but it depends on what else you want to do apart from live in a nice place and buy a boat. The west country is to my mind tops for scenery and sailing but has become jam packed making it very slow to move around, plus being remote from the other desirable bits of the UK that many visitors like. That is the main reason why we stayed in Poole when we retired as it is still easier to escape the crowds, go up country and still have beautiful country side on the doorstep. Did I mention the good sailing?

In your situation I would buy a UK boat rather than an EU boat as your boat can move in and out of the EU with no restrictions so long as a single stay does not exceed 18 months. If your time horizon is a year you need to recognize that the practical sailing season is a maximum of 7 months in N Europe, and the further north the greater unpredictability of weather so doing both the UK and anything other than a hop across the channel is a big ask. So think carefully about timing so that you are ready having bought a boat to start moving around April and finish by October so that you can sell the boat back in the UK. Be aware, though that now is not a good time to buy a boat in Europe in general apart from certain parts of the Med and the UK in particular as the pandemic (and Brexit) has meant that demand for good used boats has soared and supply slumped because people have switched to leisure spending at home. Much the same factors that have affected demand for short term rental in holiday locations.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but better you know the constraints so that you get an idea of what is possible so you can shape your plans accordingly.
Thanks for the detailed reply and it's not negative..as I've factored in many of the situations but always good to hear new ideas and possibilities.
Regarding sailboats... I've been following the market for awhile now and makes such as Rustler 36, HR34, Vancouver and Malo 34 hold their value and I have a good idea of what to expect to pay for a 1995-2000 model... it's just finding one...which will certainly help when I'm in the UK.

Dennis Clarke

Visit site
Just before Brexit, a huge number of British boats left the Mediterranean, and sailed back to the UK. Marinas are rammed full of boats, and there is a waiting list to get into a lot of them. Maybe set up your home base just across the Channel in Northern France, though your visa situation would favour the UK. How about the Channel Islands? I can't advise about France of the Channel Islands, beyond this though.

Boat prices are a bit crazy everywhere, but with Brexit, it's a double whammy. Buying elsewhere might be better, and there is the VAT thing regarding the Channel Islands. Happy hunting!
Thanks for the update.. I will stay the first 6 months in the UK and if I can't find something by then ...then would move to the EU for my 3 months.
I'm going to register her in Canada (so I can fly my ?? flag) and she will be VAT paid.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks for the update.. I will stay the first 6 months in the UK and if I can't find something by then ...then would move to the EU for my 3 months.
I'm going to register her in Canada (so I can fly my ?? flag) and she will be VAT paid.
It may be of interest to you , but UK insurance are not keen on insurance non UK flag boats now and the complaints in the cruising world from Canadian boats owners is Canadian insurance company are now refusing to renew insurance if the boat is away from Canada for any time ,
Sorry to say you may have a problem with your plain .