Where would you live

Dennis Clarke

Visit site
With my home now on the market here in Mexico, hopefully I can get it sold and get on with my adventure by traveling to the UK in search for my sailboat to both live and cruise on ⛵.
In all likelihood (with the virus restrictions) it'll be a couple of months before international flights are fully back...but when time comes I'm looking to rent some accommodation possible in and round Falmouth / Cornwall.
Also like Hamble Le Rice...but where would you consider? I think being on the South Coast makes sense being close to where the sailing action is - but I'm open to your feedback and suggestions as my search may also take me across the channel into the EU!

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
In all likelihood (with the virus restrictions) it'll be a couple of months before international flights are fully back...but when time comes I'm looking to rent some accommodation possible in and round Falmouth / Cornwall.
Also like Hamble Le Rice...but where would you consider? I think being on the South Coast makes sense being close to where the sailing action is - but I'm open to your feedback and suggestions as my search may also take me across the channel into the EU!

With the Covid situation in UK restricting foreign holidays, most seaside UK holiday accommodation is pretty well fully booked often at eye watering prices. Maybe better situation in autumn & winter.

Dennis Clarke

Visit site
With the Covid situation in UK restricting foreign holidays, most seaside UK holiday accommodation is pretty well fully booked often at eye watering prices. Maybe better situation in autumn & winter.
Thanks Graham, when it comes to finding a place I'll be using "Spare Room"...as this is an excellent site I've used before.. with monthly rental prices affordable for my needs

Tranona

Visit site
Either Devon and Cornwall or the area between Poole and Chichester plus perhaps Essex and Suffolk are the areas of greatest concentration of boats and sailing activity. However as already mentioned they are also the most popular for short term rented accommodation for exactly the same reasons - or indeed for housing of any kind. I suspect that given the ongoing travel restrictions the traditional summer season will get extended and merge with the Christmas season as people grab away time when and where they can. I live in Poole and it has many advantages, but it depends on what else you want to do apart from live in a nice place and buy a boat. The west country is to my mind tops for scenery and sailing but has become jam packed making it very slow to move around, plus being remote from the other desirable bits of the UK that many visitors like. That is the main reason why we stayed in Poole when we retired as it is still easier to escape the crowds, go up country and still have beautiful country side on the doorstep. Did I mention the good sailing?

In your situation I would buy a UK boat rather than an EU boat as your boat can move in and out of the EU with no restrictions so long as a single stay does not exceed 18 months. If your time horizon is a year you need to recognize that the practical sailing season is a maximum of 7 months in N Europe, and the further north the greater unpredictability of weather so doing both the UK and anything other than a hop across the channel is a big ask. So think carefully about timing so that you are ready having bought a boat to start moving around April and finish by October so that you can sell the boat back in the UK. Be aware, though that now is not a good time to buy a boat in Europe in general apart from certain parts of the Med and the UK in particular as the pandemic (and Brexit) has meant that demand for good used boats has soared and supply slumped because people have switched to leisure spending at home. Much the same factors that have affected demand for short term rental in holiday locations.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but better you know the constraints so that you get an idea of what is possible so you can shape your plans accordingly.

Dennis Clarke

Visit site
Thanks for the detailed reply Tranona - I do realize (and appreciate) your points which are not negative and have to be taken into consideration when planning for this next chapter of my life.
Regarding the market, my search (short list) is narrowed to afew models, such as the Rustler 36, Vancouver 34 and HR 34...and these models are fairly constant in their value over the past couple of years....and hopefully the selection will increase as we come out of lockdown.
Will take your advice and look into Devon, Essex and Suffolk!...many thanks again.

Tranona

Visit site
Don't discount my part of the world as it is the area with arguably the largest boat concentration. However the sort of boat you are considering tend to be scattered more, often in Scotland - indeed the only boat on your list where any are for sale is a Rustler 36 located there. You may find your choice if you want that kind of boat very, very limited simply because so few were made or sold in the UK and even in "normal" times few come up for sale. At the moment all good boats are holding or even increasing in value. There are many other models of boat that are equally capable of doing what you propose so while your current short list may meet the "dream" you may have to take a more pragmatic approach to your search. Good lick!

Dennis Clarke

Visit site
Don't discount my part of the world as it is the area with arguably the largest boat concentration. However the sort of boat you are considering tend to be scattered more, often in Scotland - indeed the only boat on your list where any are for sale is a Rustler 36 located there. You may find your choice if you want that kind of boat very, very limited simply because so few were made or sold in the UK and even in "normal" times few come up for sale. At the moment all good boats are holding or even increasing in value. There are many other models of boat that are equally capable of doing what you propose so while your current short list may meet the "dream" you may have to take a more pragmatic approach to your search. Good lick!
Your right there are others on the list those were just my top 3...and Scotland is on my intended destinations as I've read and seen fabulous reviews of your country!

Star-Lord

Visit site
I am thinking of moving to Mexico with their nice 180 day visas and easily renewable from what I hear? Is Puerto Vallarta a good spot to keep a boat?

Dennis Clarke

Visit site
I am thinking of moving to Mexico with their nice 180 day visas and easily renewable from what I hear? Is Puerto Vallarta a good spot to keep a boat?
Do you already have a boat...or are you planning to travel here and then purchase one?...If so I would check out Lapaz yacht sales as they are the largest dealer in Mexico and have a selection to choose from.
Also many people keep there boats in The Sea of Cortez which is further North..which have many places to as anchor.
Where are you coming from?.. Puerto Vallarta is ok...but (in my opinion).. worth visiting but not full time.
For me it's too touristy, overpriced and I prefer something more authentic but that's just me and you may be happy in what Puerto Vallarta has to offer.
Also keep in mind you could also purchase your boat in California or somewhere up the West coast and then bring her down as many people have done...good luck on your adventures.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Do you already have a boat...or are you planning to travel here and then purchase one?...If so I would check out Lapaz yacht sales as they are the largest dealer in Mexico and have a selection to choose from.
Also many people keep there boats in The Sea of Cortez which is further North..which have many places to as anchor.
Where are you coming from?.. Puerto Vallarta is ok...but (in my opinion).. worth visiting but not full time.
For me it's too touristy, overpriced and I prefer something more authentic but that's just me and you may be happy in what Puerto Vallarta has to offer.
Also keep in mind you could also purchase your boat in California or somewhere up the West coast and then bring her down as many people have done...good luck on your adventures.
Thx for the advice! I will check out Lapaz. I will buy out there,

Paddy Fields

Visit site
Just before Brexit, a huge number of British boats left the Mediterranean, and sailed back to the UK. Marinas are rammed full of boats, and there is a waiting list to get into a lot of them. Maybe set up your home base just across the Channel in Northern France, though your visa situation would favour the UK. How about the Channel Islands? I can't advise about France of the Channel Islands, beyond this though.

Boat prices are a bit crazy everywhere, but with Brexit, it's a double whammy. Buying elsewhere might be better, and there is the VAT thing regarding the Channel Islands. Happy hunting!

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
You could think about Northern France - from Ushant to Dunkirk - Property prices are a 1/4 of UK and marina berths half or less... Nice country with nice people and the South coast of the UK only a few hours away in non covid times - Yes you would need to get a resident permit but that's not impossible and the health system knocks the NHS into cocked hat! The weather is perceptibly better ...

Paddy Fields

Visit site
You could think about Northern France - from Ushant to Dunkirk - Property prices are a 1/4 of UK and marina berths half or less... Nice country with nice people and the South coast of the UK only a few hours away in non covid times - Yes you would need to get a resident permit but that's not impossible and the health system knocks the NHS into cocked hat! The weather is perceptibly better ...

So if he went for France (or Channel Islands), then the boat would be EU VAT paid (or ex-VAT). Does this mean he would be able to cruise the waters of the UK for 18 months at a time, before the lack of UK VAT became a problem? If so, given that it sounds like he would be dipping in and out of the UK/France on a regular basis, that 18 month limit would not be a problem, and France (or Channel Islands) would make a lot of sense.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
So if he went for France (or Channel Islands), then the boat would be EU VAT paid (or ex-VAT). Does this mean he would be able to cruise the waters of the UK for 18 months at a time, before the lack of UK VAT became a problem? If so, given that it sounds like he would be dipping in and out of the UK/France on a regular basis, that 18 month limit would not be a problem, and France (or Channel Islands) would make a lot of sense.
Well it varies depending on the situation... I am a Brit resident in France - I can come and go freely in and out of France on the back of my Cart de Sejour and I can come and go in and out of the UK and channel islands on the back of my passport... (in non covid times)... My British registered boat is UK vat paid but I also have a harbour/transit certificate which allows me to bring the boat in and out of France freely... I suspect if I sold the boat to a French person they would have to pay vat on it but if I sell to a Brit it is already vat paid

Paddy Fields

Visit site
Well it varies depending on the situation... I am a Brit resident in France - I can come and go freely in and out of France on the back of my Cart de Sejour and I can come and go in and out of the UK and channel islands on the back of my passport... (in non covid times)... My British registered boat is UK vat paid but I also have a harbour/transit certificate which allows me to bring the boat in and out of France freely... I suspect if I sold the boat to a French person they would have to pay vat on it but if I sell to a Brit it is already vat paid

Im aware of the rules concerning UK VAT paid boats been taken to the EU (the 18 month before EU VAT has to be paid). Im not clear on what the opposite situation would be of, say, a French VAT pad boat going into the UK. Is it also 18 before UK VAT would have to be paid?