Where to purchase a sea anchor?

Independence

Visit site
Having generated some interesting discussion on sea drogues I now intend to purchase a sea anchor just so I have both options available to me.
Can anyone recommend a reputable make and where to purchase one?
Thanks
Paul

barnaclephill

Visit site
I bought a kit of the series drogue from Bryan at http://seriesdrogue.com and I found him very competent and helpful. It helps that I live in the same metropolis, but he sells sets of drogues, as a complete kit and as a made-up unit. I've noticed he will take the time to work out the right size for your boat and will do special pricing to groups. I got him to do a kit to alternate between 4500kg and 6700kg boats (in case I sail another boat), and in addition to the kit I got him to get the splicing of the double-braid rope as I didn't want to do that myself. It involved about one week (evenings only) to do the crocheting of the drogues into the double-braid.

For me it was just over a week's wages, but with Sterling it shouldn't be nearly as much for you guys.

The only alternative maker I've found of series drogues and their kit is - http://www.jordanseriesdrogue.com/D_1.htm which is in American dollars.

I have a PDF of a DIY model of series drogues, but buying the cones is far cheaper.

Visit site
I bought 2 5ft dia parachutes on E bay from the USA for £15 each. They are unused military drogues which I intend to stream in series from my 20 footer.

Noddy

Visit site
I bought a 12 foot diameter, purpose made, parachute from the USA via ebay. It cost over £200 and I got stung for £40 by UK customs. Nice bit of kit though.

I have recently read a post on another forum by a guy who uses those bags that you buy a ton of sand or gravel in from B&Q etc.

There is also a Drag Device Database, which I have never seen.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Trevor Leek the owner of Jester tried a US sea anchor and was so enthousiast that he wanted to import them. I think he sells them now. He is the coordinator of the Jester Challenge web site.
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif