• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

IN ADDITION it seems that conspiracy theories are finding their way onto the forum. This is not the place for such content. Users who post it may find their access limited or permanently suspended. Please leave it where you find it.

Where to purchase a sea anchor?

Independence

Having generated some interesting discussion on sea drogues I now intend to purchase a sea anchor just so I have both options available to me.
Can anyone recommend a reputable make and where to purchase one?
Thanks
Paul

barnaclephill

I bought a kit of the series drogue from Bryan at http://seriesdrogue.com and I found him very competent and helpful. It helps that I live in the same metropolis, but he sells sets of drogues, as a complete kit and as a made-up unit. I've noticed he will take the time to work out the right size for your boat and will do special pricing to groups. I got him to do a kit to alternate between 4500kg and 6700kg boats (in case I sail another boat), and in addition to the kit I got him to get the splicing of the double-braid rope as I didn't want to do that myself. It involved about one week (evenings only) to do the crocheting of the drogues into the double-braid.

For me it was just over a week's wages, but with Sterling it shouldn't be nearly as much for you guys.

The only alternative maker I've found of series drogues and their kit is - http://www.jordanseriesdrogue.com/D_1.htm which is in American dollars.

I have a PDF of a DIY model of series drogues, but buying the cones is far cheaper.

I bought 2 5ft dia parachutes on E bay from the USA for £15 each. They are unused military drogues which I intend to stream in series from my 20 footer.

Noddy

I bought a 12 foot diameter, purpose made, parachute from the USA via ebay. It cost over £200 and I got stung for £40 by UK customs. Nice bit of kit though.

I have recently read a post on another forum by a guy who uses those bags that you buy a ton of sand or gravel in from B&Q etc.

There is also a Drag Device Database, which I have never seen.

andlauer

Bonjour
Trevor Leek the owner of Jester tried a US sea anchor and was so enthousiast that he wanted to import them. I think he sells them now. He is the coordinator of the Jester Challenge web site.
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif