where to look for a new boat

Birdseye

Visit site
The next boat will be my 4th in 30 years. Previous ones have been bought second hand from the back pages of YM but in the 11 years since I last went through the exercise, this source has faded almost to nothing.

Instead there are lots of web sites like Yachtworld and boats.com and boat 24, but some if not all of these seem to simply pick up brokers adverts and copy them. The issue being that when you get to the detail of one of the adverts, maybe even after calling the broker, the boat is either sold or "under offer". So following up most of the web adverts is a waste of time.

Is there one reliable source, a web site where the brokers chose to paste their ads and where they are kept up to date?.

It doesnt help that for the first time ever I am looking for a Mobo and there seem to be way more brokers that I have never previously heard of flogging these boats.

Greg2

Visit site
Yachtworld and Yachtmarket are a good place to start but as you have already discovered, listings can be out of date. The same can be said for most of the sites that take listings from Brokers so the short answer is that there is no magic wand.

The current market won’t help either as boats are selling very quickly and many Brokers have very little stock. When we are looking I tend to look at the likes of Ancasta, Boats.co.uk, Norfolk Yacht Agency, Burton Waters, Clipper, Clark and Carter to name a few. Boats and Outboards can also be worth a look.

If you have a make and model in mind then a Google search on that can be productive.

simonfraser

Visit site
The next boat will be my 4th in 30 years. Previous ones have been bought second hand from the back pages of YM but in the 11 years since I last went through the exercise, this source has faded almost to nothing.

Instead there are lots of web sites like Yachtworld and boats.com and boat 24, but some if not all of these seem to simply pick up brokers adverts and copy them. The issue being that when you get to the detail of one of the adverts, maybe even after calling the broker, the boat is either sold or "under offer". So following up most of the web adverts is a waste of time.

Is there one reliable source, a web site where the brokers chose to paste their ads and where they are kept up to date?.

It doesnt help that for the first time ever I am looking for a Mobo and there seem to be way more brokers that I have never previously heard of flogging these boats.

not answering your Q, but do you have a good idea as to what you want / is suitable ?

Birdseye

Visit site
not answering your Q, but do you have a good idea as to what you want / is suitable ?
No I dont. Posters on here have tried to help but as a life long raggie I know sod all about which mobos are good and which are bad. Or even which type is best for me. I dont even know my way round the engines never having had anything other than 29 bhp 3 cylinder NA . As a buyer I must be the sharp brokers ideal customer!:unsure:

simonfraser

Visit site
No I dont. Posters on here have tried to help but as a life long raggie I know sod all about which mobos are good and which are bad. Or even which type is best for me. I dont even know my way round the engines never having had anything other than 29 bhp 3 cylinder NA . As a buyer I must be the sharp brokers ideal customer!:unsure:

suggest you first of all do a new post sorting out what may be suitable ;)
'raggie wants to go over to the dark side, what should i buy'

Seastoke

Visit site
Try Saga Cruises.

Kawasaki

Visit site
Typical welch, Piss Overboard.
Mr Bird, dunna listen to Mr Stoke as a 'Sais' (he won't know what that is!) parked up in North Wales he is a rather confused by the bi- lingual 'signage' ! Although by now One would think His ability to converse in Our Mother Tongue would be quite natural given His time spent amongst the 'Welch'!

Last edited: