Where to lift a 25 tons boat?

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I am intended to buy a bigger boat. The problem is the boat weighs 25 tons. And the nearby marinas Shepperton and Penton Hoot both can't lift that big. Do you know where is the closest place to Shepperton that can have a crane big enough to lite it? Thanks.

Edit: The boat is 18m long. So maybe only go downstream. Where is the closest marina downstream from Shepperton to sea (or in the coastal area) can litf a boat that 18m and 25 tons?

Last edited:

Portland Billy

Visit site
I think Thames and Kennet at Reading is probably the only non tidal marina which could handle that size of vessel.
They have a travel hoist which is rated to 50t.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Is it near Reading? Can't go that upstream as the boat air draft won't go through Windsor bridge.

The boat is 18m long. So maybe only go downstream. Where is the closest marina downstream from Shepperton to sea (or in the coastal area) that can lift a boat that is 18m and 25 tons?

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I found Gillingham Marina has a 65 tons crane. The problem is that it's 70 miles water away from my mooring location! So by boat need 10 hours to get there! Is this worth it?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
PLA Denton is the closest place if it won't go under Windsor/Eton bridge.

Sounds like an interesting boat if it's coming by road and won't go upstream of Windsor..

ETA I have used Bushnell's and Butcher marine at Caversham for road deliveries in the Bushnell's case I was in the cab with the driver for the journey. Getting there was quite technical for a low loader. butcher marine is the place most people go and very well set up.

I remember we had a similar topic a while ago. Slightly odd that Shepperton and Penton can't / won't do it.

Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
PLA Denton. I did once enquire about having a boat loaded to transport there and was told that I would need to employ a Waterman (or possibly two) to pilot the boat which presumably would add quite a lot to the overall cost.

This was for a lift out rather than in but I suspect the same would apply although I don't know quite how they would arrange it all.

I think you might be able to get a mobile crane in to South Dock marina for this job but that is definitely going to be expensive.

Eta South dock marina definitely worth a call. They have some hardstanding there with a few boats not sure if they are all lifted out by the fixed crane on site (20 tonnes) so it's possible they might have certain pre-arranged dates when they do craneage with a contract hire crane.

That would be a really good location as nice easy run up to teddington.

Lucas Gan

Visit site
My bad. I should describe the situation more clear. Delivery is not a problem as it will deliver by waterway. I am thinking antifouling or any jobs underwater line in the future will need to drive the boat (1200hp) to 70 miles away through the river. Don't know if this is practical or not.

Last edited:

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
Eel Pie Island Slipways Services and MSO Marine Construction just below Teddington can accomodate this size / weight with ease. butdon't expect it to be cheap.

If you want to save money and don't need facilities then the PLA draw dock drying out facility at Isleworth or timber grid at Chiswick are options (suspect you are too big for Chsiwick) but neither are for the faint hearted or inexperienced or ill equipped (or indeed for anything that won't take the ground) - best suited to flat bottom barges etc.

PLA Drying Out Facilities.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Ah just for lifting then.

I am guessing this is that unusually large motoryacht I saw going through Bell Weir a few months ago.

Looked to be GRP or perhaps aluminium. 1970s small "superyacht" type of thing.

Not a barge.

MSO is expensive

Eel Pie probably the nearest assuming boat is somewhere between Staines and Teddington.

They usually have steel boats there so may not be willing to do it.

There is also BJ Woods Isleworth with the floating dry docks. It would fit in one of those.