Where to leave 32ft yacht in Norway for 3 weeks next summer (cheaply !)

eebygum

Visit site
Next year I’m looking to sail to Norway from Inverness in July but I will need to leave my 32ft boat relatively close to an airport (or rail links to an airport) for up to 4 weeks.

Does anybody have any suggestions, ideas, and likely cost (I a shoestring sailor so looking for cheap options). I can offer a professionally maintained mooring in Wales for the summer if a swap is an option !

I did a similiar trip a few years ago crossing from Shetland, spending a month cruising North of Bergen but stayed on the boat for the whole period.

Thanks in advance

dunedin

Visit site
Which was are you headed in Norway - northwards, or southwards towards Sweden /Denmark?
And when exactly would you be leaving it for the 4 weeks - still during July or later in the season (as Norway seems to go empty, madly busy, empty - with extremely sharp cutoffs) ?
We found travelling by land was very slow in Norway - took a heck of a time to get to some harbours to an airport, even when distances relatively small. (Certainly compared to West Sweden, where fast trains connected ironically to Copenhagen airport.)

Incidentally, the Cruising Association Baltic Section has an excellent Layup guide, which can help find such places.

eebygum

Visit site
Which was are you headed in Norway - northwards, or southwards towards Sweden /Denmark?
And when exactly would you be leaving it for the 4 weeks - still during July or later in the season (as Norway seems to go empty, madly busy, empty - with extremely sharp cutoffs) ?
We found travelling by land was very slow in Norway - took a heck of a time to get to some harbours to an airport, even when distances relatively small. (Certainly compared to West Sweden, where fast trains connected ironically to Copenhagen airport.)

Incidentally, the Cruising Association Baltic Section has an excellent Layup guide, which can help find such places.
Hi, I’m very flexible ! When I last sailed to Norway I went from Anglesey to Shetland and then across to Askvoll and spent a month going South in and down the fjords to Bergen. Then back and through the Caledonian.

This season it was Anglesey to Orkney and back. So next year I thought I would take the Caledonian to Inverness and head towards Bergen… sail down towards Oslo…. Leave the boat for a couple of weeks and fly back … My wife returns with me and we spend the month of August on the boat before crossing over the North Sea. My wife then gets the train back and then I bring the boat back to Anglesey by the end of Sept.

When I last sailed to Norway, it was August and VERY quiet because the schools had gone back and it fairly wet (but no worse than the western isles). My wife can only get a month off in August to join me hence the limitation.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Friends of mine used the Stavanger area which has flights to Scotland. There are probably even more locations than when they used it. Maybe someone familiar with this area can advise.

dunedin

Visit site
Friends of mine used the Stavanger area which has flights to Scotland. There are probably even more locations than when they used it. Maybe someone familiar with this area can advise.
Tananger could be a good option in the Stavanger area- good shelter and very close to the airport.
Egersund could be another option?
The challenge with many Norwegian harbours is nobody to speak to to try to book a berth to leave a boat unattended.

We left our boat at Tvedestrand - but the railway line to Oslo doesn’t come as far south as the coast, so took us most of a day to get to and from Oslo airport. However, we made the most of it with sightseeing in Oslo

SaltIre

Visit site
I think Gary Fox:
https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?members/gary-fox.183165/
...may have some knowledge of Norway. He has cruised there probably pretty far south specifically Risor, where his gaff cutter was built.
Try a PM.

There was a post from him previously in "Wanted" seeking
South Norway Chart Folios - for navigation, from Bergen south round the bottom, and up to Risor. Also harbour guides etc for this area.

Last edited:

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
As wilkinsonsails says, municipal harbours in towns normally have low rates compared to commercial marinas etc; in contrast to the UK, asking at the town hall might be fruitful.

Bilgediver

Visit site
As wilkinsonsails says, municipal harbours in towns normally have low rates compared to commercial marinas etc; in contrast to the UK, asking at the town hall might be fruitful.

The harrbour I was thinking of was Municipal in Stavanger the name from memory was Bekhus and it shows up on the map. I would be cheeky and call Wire Tech Services and see if anyone there has time to chat about it +47 450 46 155

Check Google map in satellite view to the south west(left) end of the big highway bridge in Stavanger and adjacent to WIre Tech Services.

I tried a link here but it didn t work.

eebygum

Visit site
The harrbour I was thinking of was Municipal in Stavanger the name from memory was Bekhus and it shows up on the map. I would be cheeky and call Wire Tech Services and see if anyone there has time to chat about it +47 450 46 155

Check Google map in satellite view to the south west(left) end of the big highway bridge in Stavanger and adjacent to WIre Tech Services.

Thanks for the detailed information I will look them up.?

SaltIre

Visit site

Link.

Edit:
The owners of the wharf might be here.
+47 51 22 55 60?
Stavangar.jpg
This company seem to be in that building. Altera Infrastructure - Leading the industry to a sustainable future

Last edited:

CliveF

Visit site
if you do get in that area of Stavanger the Flybussen leaves from just next door at the Fiskepiren every 30 min direct to airport about £13 pre booked.

or you could try the marina at Nedstrand way across the Fjord. The Fast ferry from there to Fiskepiren is about £26 prebooked.

I have no boat so can not give more info there , but I have used the route many times visiting a friend.

Regards Clive

dunedin

Visit site
if you do get in that area of Stavanger the Flybussen leaves from just next door at the Fiskepiren every 30 min direct to airport about £13 pre booked.

or you could try the marina at Nedstrand way across the Fjord. The Fast ferry from there to Fiskepiren is about £26 prebooked.

I have no boat so can not give more info there , but I have used the route many times visiting a friend.

Regards Clive

Tananger Gjestehaven is closer to Stavanger airport than Stavanger is :).
Tananger gjestehavn
https://goo.gl/maps/bbPZ6KtrbgW52qbz5