Where to discharge the bilge oil and water mixture?

Lucas Gan

Visit site
I finally have time to clean my bilge. Problem is that will generate a sizeable amount of oil and water mixture as one of my tank previously leaking. Where should I discharge those oil and water mixtures? Is there any collection point of something? Many thanks.

Old Crusty

Visit site
There are no collection points for oily waste on the non tidal river and it's your responsibility to dispose of properly. Suggest you soak up the oil in rags or absorbent paper before cleaning the bilge, bag it and bin it at your local tip.

oldgit

Visit site

Momac

Visit site
There are no collection points for oily waste on the non tidal river
That's terrible.
The marina where I keep my boat has tanks for disposal of oil and oily water and filters . I have seen such facilities elsewhere so I thought that was normal .
So how do you dispose of your waste oil when you change the engine oil etc?

Chris_d

Visit site
Hobbs of Henley have an oil disposal tank but not sure its open for anybody to use, but I'm sure any marina/boatyard will have one if they work on boats. Ironically the Environment Agency often don't seem to care too much about the environment !
Although I do remember being given one of those giant tampons for the bilge at a lock about 10 years ago when they were presumably having a bit of a go at educating boaters, still got it in a locker somewhere but fortunately the engines are continent :)

Lucas Gan

Visit site
Thanks. I'll order the absorbent pads now.

I learned that from internet even absorbed the oil on top, but the left over water still contaminated. It's toxic and no good for water creature. A bit worry! I do not want to dirty the river. So, I won't pump it out to the river. I think I can use a water pump discharge the water to sewage after the oil totally removed by the absorbent pads.

Last edited:

Old Crusty

Visit site
That's terrible.
The marina where I keep my boat has tanks for disposal of oil and oily water and filters . I have seen such facilities elsewhere so I thought that was normal .
So how do you dispose of your waste oil when you change the engine oil etc?

I was referring to EA facilities which are none. Some marinas include such facilities for berth holders. Otherwise, you put it in a suitable container and take it to the local tip, leaving it with the other petro-chemicals, paints, etc.

Old Crusty

Visit site
Hobbs of Henley have an oil disposal tank but not sure its open for anybody to use, but I'm sure any marina/boatyard will have one if they work on boats. Ironically the Environment Agency often don't seem to care too much about the environment !
Although I do remember being given one of those giant tampons for the bilge at a lock about 10 years ago when they were presumably having a bit of a go at educating boaters, still got it in a locker somewhere but fortunately the engines are continent :)

You'll be meaning the free bilge pigs the EA gave away about 9 years ago in a recyclable brown paper bag. I believe there is still a big box full in the store shed at Shepperton Navigation Office.