Where the feck are you?

TrueBlue

Visit site
The original agreement put in place a couple (?) of years ago - before DE became more active on the River was just for the 'barge moorings' directly outside the Palace (a source close to HCP told me...) and that seemed reasonable - facilities provided and kept in reasonable condition.
IMO the rest of the bankside on the HCP side is not maintained as moorings and accordingly not much used (except by intrepid WSOBs such as mine).
I've just checked DE's website and their map shows that there are 20 'bays' - which indicates their history as a CAR parking company, further reinforced by their location as in the middle of HCP's staff car park - appropriate??

It's not unreasonable to have to pay for mooring - but totally unreasonable if the extent of the mooring is neither indicated on site or correctly shown on the company's website.

Scapegoat

Visit site
The original agreement put in place a couple (?) of years ago - before DE became more active on the River was just for the 'barge moorings' directly outside the Palace (a source close to HCP told me...) and that seemed reasonable - facilities provided and kept in reasonable condition.
IMO the rest of the bankside on the HCP side is not maintained as moorings and accordingly not much used (except by intrepid WSOBs such as mine).
I've just checked DE's website and their map shows that there are 20 'bays' - which indicates their history as a CAR parking company, further reinforced by their location as in the middle of HCP's staff car park - appropriate??

It's not unreasonable to have to pay for mooring - but totally unreasonable if the extent of the mooring is neither indicated on site or correctly shown on the company's website.
I’ve just used the contact form on W2M to ask DE the extent of the HCP moorings that they administer. Be interested to see if I get any response

TrueBlue

Visit site
I’ve just used the contact form on W2M to ask DE the extent of the HCP moorings that they administer. Be interested to see if I get any response
Yes it would - if they're prepared to be pro-active and clear the air - then good, otherwise I'll still see them as 'trixky' which is bad - as they can make areasonable living by playing it straight. At the moment it's a bit amateurish..

Barge

Visit site
I don't like having to do anything with DE, but if you want to see evidence that the scheme does clear moorings, a trip down to Hampton Court and Wick is a eye opener.

Kingston, like some wild west scene one side and clear moorings the other. Logging on and paying a small fee's a small price to pay IMHO. To do nothing and have no enforcement means we can say goodbye to getting on any 24hr mooring soon.

Paul HD

Visit site
Had a short trip out today from Chiswick quay to Richmond lock and back. Only two hours out but I loved it.
It was my first outing with the Drascombe LBC and first trip on the Thames. Looking forward to the next trip out. ⛵

Barge

Visit site
And before that looking tired above Boveney lock. I did wonder if it was going to get some tlc and am glad to see it has. Thanks for the pics.

Paul HD

Visit site
You'd never think it was that old! Billy was moored up at Henley the weekend before last when we were there and looked to be in fantastic condition

Fantastic looking narrow boat.

There is a short clip of her in this video I have just put together, I included some footage of the Iron lady as well.

Chris_d

Visit site
Didn't Springers have a square stern?
I'm assuming only the basic hull dates from 1892 all the cabin and the rest has been rebuilt and added.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Narrowboats built in 1892 were long and designed for cargo.

It'll be a cut down BCN station boat with a counter stern on it. And a new steel cabin, obviously.

As for the Springers they did do some round stern boats later on but the early ones were flat or with a slightly triangular shape.

They did at one stage do a round stern trad style narrow boat. There are no Springers with a stern like that one though as they are less rounded and have their own particular kind of mooring hardware. This example has normal narrow boat dollies on it but Springers don't they have a T shaped cleat-like fitting.

Don't know who converted the Billy but it's quite a nice back end compared with some others. Tricky to get it to look right specially things like the rubbing strakes matching up properly. Good job done in that respect on this example.

eProp is a good choice for the boat.

Last edited: