Where the feck are you?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
It is certainly pleasant up at Medmenham I shall be out in the electric canoe after lunch.

Tomorrow I'm taking one of my boats from Brentford to Staines if I can reach Staines. That's quite a long way. 11.30 out of Brentford. Hmm. Maybe not Staines. It would be handy as direct train back to Brentford for the car is useful.

Rule of thumb one hour per lock on the River and arrive at Teddington around 12.30 Mole,Sun,Shep,Cher,PH I suppose 6 locks could ETA at Staines around 6.30 so might be ok. It's not a swift boat.

jct1981

Visit site
I've just looked at an old log from a couple of years ago (Limehouse > Windsor Racecourse. Took just over 5 hours from passing Brentford locks to get to Staines road bridge. That includes a quick pub stop at Walton.
I reckon you'll get there before 6.30, but obviously dependant on if the locks are on self-service or not...

Have a great trip - lovely day for it.

Scapegoat

Visit site
Out on the river again and so far this morning haven't seen a single boat. Not even any rowers out on a beautiful day.

Just a note for everyone that the DE parking firm do not seem to be issuing receipts for your mooring fees even though they ask for an e-mail and phone number to send it to. I am taking screenshots as proof and will send them an e-mail later to highlight this.

Lovely day on the river so hope some of you can get out and enjoy it too.

P.S lockkeeper on duty at Penton Lock as I came out of the marina.
Pottered out for a meander between Old Windsor weir and Bell Weir this afternoon- very pleasant and have seen a few MB’s, rower and kayaks ... and a converted lifeboat in EasyJet livery ??

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I took the primary motorised vessel unit up to Fawley and back earlier. Lovely day for a spot of boating !

Can't go any further at this point due to other things but I do look forward to the yearly pilgrimage to Lechlade.

Ok so it is incredibly boring above Oxford but I have always quite liked having boats which will do Osney bridge so it seems a bit rude not to.

I know people moan about the River but come on!! It's A Mazing !!

Time Out

Visit site
So I knew it would be bad. It’s been bad every time I have been there but I thought let’s give it another go.
Ye Olde White Swan in Thames Ditton.

I did not think it was possible for a pub ( at reduced capacity) could serve food of such sub standard that the only thing to do was laugh. So bad we actually left it.

Green King are know for a deep fried menu but this was beyond a joke. Hey ho, you live and learn (again !)

on a diff note the reach was packed with hire boats and it’s only April. I predict carnage this year !

Mark26

Visit site
I’m on route from Penton Hook to Oxford.
Left Penton Hook on 19 April, and now on the 25th spending the night at Bray.
I might put a burst on tomorrow and get to Cookham.
?

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Last couple of days I'vr done Brentford -Egham-Henley.
strange weather really. Forgot the suncream and the hat but also been cold.

Mustn't grumble I suppose. I saw a boat called mustn't grumble earlier today. Good boat name.
11 hours steering a boat along this lovely River in sunshine in April is probably not all that terrible as a passtime .

That cold wind has been playing havoc with boats specially the days hires out of KC at datchet. All over the place!

All good fun people enjoying the River.

Mustn't grumble.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
I took the primary motorised vessel unit up to Fawley and back earlier. Lovely day for a spot of boating !

Can't go any further at this point due to other things but I do look forward to the yearly pilgrimage to Lechlade.

Ok so it is incredibly boring above Oxford but I have always quite liked having boats which will do Osney bridge so it seems a bit rude not to.

I know people moan about the River but come on!! It's A Mazing !!
Genuine question: why is it boring above Oxford? I am not very familiar with the Thames but am curious about this.
thank you

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Genuine question: why is it boring above Oxford? I am not very familiar with the Thames but am curious about this.
thank you

It is remarkably unchanging. Not a lot to see other than willow trees and fields.

That's quite nice for a while.

I do usually like to have a run up to Lechlade but the parts below Oxford are a lot more interesting in general. Things like railway bridges, wide open stretches of water, houses of various types etc make it a lot more attractive I find.

Scapegoat

Visit site
Last couple of days I'vr done Brentford -Egham-Henley.
strange weather really. Forgot the suncream and the hat but also been cold.

Mustn't grumble I suppose. I saw a boat called mustn't grumble earlier today. Good boat name.
11 hours steering a boat along this lovely River in sunshine in April is probably not all that terrible as a passtime .

That cold wind has been playing havoc with boats specially the days hires out of KC at datchet. All over the place!

All good fun people enjoying the River.

Mustn't grumble.
If you moored in Henley, what is the current situation with mooring fees? Last year it was reported that DE were contracted to collect fees by App for 2021 but haven’t seen anything about implementation this year.

Mark26

Visit site
I’ve just had a look on Henley Councils Web site for info on Mill Meadow and I can only see last years info...

2020 TEMPORARY MOORING CHARGES AT MIILL MEADOWS

Overnight rate £10.00 including VAT (free mooring between 10 am and 3 pm)

Weekly rate (maximum stay 2 weeks) £55.00 including VAT. Any boat staying for the maximum 14 nights will not be permitted to return to the moorings within the next 7 nights.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Has Steve given up / retired or mebe 'restructuring' his coverage.
I notice a new (to me) websit with all sorts of other options on it?

Paul HD

Visit site
Thank you ! I just can’t see how to rotate it on an iPhone even though the original is correct.

Yes, access to The White Swan was key. She sits nicely just below the ledge at low tide. Run the anchor up the beach and it sits there all day without moving.

it actually couldn’t be more perfect!

we HAVE to stop at pubs as we don’t have a toilet ;)

thanks again
That looks fantastic. Is there a charge to moor at the pub? Do you motor in and then lift the outboard and slowly coast in or do you get out of the boat as it gets shallow and walk the boat in.

I am new to the Thames and hope I can visit that pub in my Longboat cruiser.

Are there any moorings near Richmond bridge? I would like to visit the German pub/restaurant called Stein and it would be great to moor close by.

Cheers,
Paul.

Time Out

Visit site
That looks fantastic. Is there a charge to moor at the pub? Do you motor in and then lift the outboard and slowly coast in or do you get out of the boat as it gets shallow and walk the boat in.

I am new to the Thames and hope I can visit that pub in my Longboat cruiser.

Are there any moorings near Richmond bridge? I would like to visit the German pub/restaurant called Stein and it would be great to moor close by.

Cheers,
Paul.

2C3679C4-2B40-4B8C-8583-A40CFDD4BE51.jpeg
Ignore the rotation!

depends on the tide, this was Friday at 1800. There’s no charge as it’s a public beach.

My boat has very little draft so i lift the outboard and beach gently. Low tide I simply jump off the font and walk ( without getting wet !) high tide I just let it sit there whilst keeping a very close eye when the level falls. I don’t want to be THAT person that beaches it !

to keep it there I use the weight of the kedge with about 10 ft of chain (and about 10ft of rope) up the beach. It just sits there
mooring wise, it’s not great on our stretch. You can’t moor in Richmond so Steins is out unless you get take out and gently nudge the steps.

true pub mooring starts above Tedd sadly. I wouldn’t recommend The White Swan in anything other than a small open day boat.

Hope this helps