Where is it?

BabaYaga

Visit site
Strange place. We were invited into someone's house for tea when we first went 20 yrs ago. It seems to have something of a religious aura and in spite of the friendliness we found nearby Store Dyren more relaxing, as well as harbouring crazy golf. Vinga is another quaint island. I always wonder why all these islands have a cleft.
A natural cleft will often make a good harbour, so those places were where people chose to settle, I think.
What struck me with the OP's photo of Grip island was the 'number of houses to available area-ratio', which immediately got me thinking of Åstol.
True about the religious touch, but less so today I think, as fishing has gone down and more houses have been taken over by summer residents...

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Scots think they were badly treated but they were never forced to live crammed so close together in a barren little island like that.
maxresdefault.jpg

zoidberg

Visit site
Thank, j-a'. I'll look 'em up.

There's also Blå Jungfrun in the Baltic not far offshore from Oskarshamn. The Swedes we met were reluctant to discuss the place. We visited, and it emerged that this now-uninhabited isle was used as a place for the exchange, buying and selling of slaves - mostly captured in the 'British Isles', Ireland and Britanny. It's a beautiful small isle in the sunshine, but one can sense the air of sorrow. No birds sing...

cherod

Visit site
Seems to be totally void of any tie up facilities , is it anchoring an dingy job ? Barren looking place on googiemaps

zoidberg

Visit site
We had a Catapult 16' inflatable dinghy, and we were cruise-camping up that coast. There isn't an anchorage AFAIK, for it's deep water all round. We found a cleft where we could just about 'haul up'. It would have been an easy place to defend, back in the day.

We knew nothing of the 'back-story' until after our visit, when we were asked 'where have you been?' It took quite a while before we teased out enough of the story..... There's quite a lot, for the Swede/Danes were the major slave-traders about 1000 years ago.