Where can I find my serial or Hull Numer?

Mr Don

Visit site
I have just bought my first sail boat a Caprice.
My insurance company have asked for the serial number or hull number.

Can any body suggest where I might look? It does not seem obvious.

Thank you
Don

VicS

Visit site
I have just bought my first sail boat a Caprice.
My insurance company have asked for the serial number or hull number.

Can any body suggest where I might look? It does not seem obvious.

Thank you
Don
A Caprice is not likely to have an HIN.

They were not required in the EU until 1998 although a few of the major builders eg Westerly had their own numbering system before that

Look around the transom and the quarters below the rubbing strake

The best you are likely to be able to offer is the sail number

Poignard

Visit site
The number on my 1967 Tyler-moulded Twister hull is on a label inside the transom just below the deck.

Not easily visible without a torch.

I don't know where it is on a Caprice but it might be worth looking in a similar location.

Is there an owners' association you could ask?

Mr Don

Visit site
The number on my 1967 Tyler-moulded Twister hull is on a label inside the transom just below the deck.

Not easily visible without a torch.

I don't know where it is on a Caprice but it might be worth looking in a similar location.

Is there an owners' association you could ask?

Sadly, I believe there is no owner's association.
Thank you though

[159032]

Visit site
i would be more likely to be asking "What sort of insurance broker is this that treats a small trailer sailer as a bigger yacht.
I have used Noble Marine for under 20ft boats on swinging moorings. They haven't required surveys and regard them as sailing dinghies. They were even covering them fo 12 months afloat.
I am guessing you are only insuring it to fulfil requirements of the marina or mooring owner. There isn't much need otherwise. A bit of 3rd party and the recovery costs should it sink.

jwilson

Visit site
My plywood Mk 1.5 Caprice (Mk 1 hull and coachroof/deck with Mk II keels) certainly had no number. By the time I sold it it also had no name or sail number either - after Ilfracombe harbour suddenly started charging the same harbour dues as Dartmouth/Salcombe etc. even for anchoring outside the harbour wall with virtually zero "facilities", I removed the name. "Harbourmaster" was the man who collected car parking fees from the tourists on the quay, and had no launch to go and collect dues.

On a GRP Caprice you might just find some sort of number moulded in to the transom corner - often moulders stuck an inch or so of raised-lettering Dymo tape to the mould for each hull before slapping on the gelcoat. The number was anything they likled, just to identify which moulding was for which customer. Many did not even do that.

Mr Don

Visit site
That is very helpful.
Today I went through the boat with a fine toothed comb and a torch. Found the nasties, but nothing too nasty thank God. A few new lines and shackles to start with and some varnishing. But after three hours of inspection I found no numbers. I will recheck the transom tomorrow.

Poignard

Visit site
I have just had a look at the proposal form I sent in to my current insurers and there is an item:

Craft Identification Number ...........................................
(To be found on an identification plate near the transom of the boat)
I entered "To be advised" and the insurers accepted the proposal.

I must remember to make a note of it next time I am on board although I would be very surprised if they ever chased me for it.