Where can I buy Solvent Masks for antifouling

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
I poisoned myself with organic solvents some years ago which landed me in hospital with chronic liver damage, ever since I have always used a 3m organic solvent mast when antifouling.

However, try as I might I cannot source one anywhere in the UK, every site I have tried shows zero stock or all 3M products reserved for NHS which of course is perfectly understandable but as I dont want to put myself at risk, I need to try and find a suitable alternative, any suggestions?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I don't know where you can lay your hand on such masks just now, but perhaps

- pay someone else to do it; or

- manage without? There's only a short season left now. You could have a quick 'mid-season' lift-scrub-dunk again if needed, or plan a visit to some fresh water which will kill off most of the marine flora and fauna. I read a while back that it is in the spring and early summer that most of the young critters go a-hunting for a des-res, so most should be comfortably ensconced by now and we should hopefully accumulate less by launching this time of year.

VicS

Visit site
I poisoned myself with organic solvents some years ago which landed me in hospital with chronic liver damage, ever since I have always used a 3m organic solvent mast when antifouling.

However, try as I might I cannot source one anywhere in the UK, every site I have tried shows zero stock or all 3M products reserved for NHS which of course is perfectly understandable but as I dont want to put myself at risk, I need to try and find a suitable alternative, any suggestions?
Mine came from Hawke House. I bought it when using a contact adhesive for lining the boat

Protective Respirator Mask | Hawke House

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I am not exactly sure on the spec you need but Amazon appears to have 3m masks and organic filters available which may be suitable and on reasonably short delivery. Quite pricey.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
Mine came from Hawke House. I bought it when using a contact adhesive for lining the boat

Protective Respirator Mask | Hawke House

Thanks to all who replied, I took up VicS suggestion and looked at Hawke House, they had a 3m 4251 mask at £34. I did a search and got one the same from toolstation for £18.

So ready for antifouling, liver protected for another year. All we need is some nice weather.

VicS

Visit site
Thanks to all who replied, I took up VicS suggestion and looked at Hawke House, they had a 3m 4251 mask at £34. I did a search and got one the same from toolstation for £18.

So ready for antifouling, liver protected for another year. All we need is some nice weather.
My local branch is out of stock ... out of stock of all face masks in fact.

Ian_Rob

Visit site

May I ask if you were anti-fouling when you ended up in hospital? I always feel affected when using any paint that has high VOC including antifouling but, so far, have always been OK again the following day.

Solent Sailor

Visit site
I read a while back that it is in the spring and early summer that most of the young critters go a-hunting for a des-res, so most should be comfortably ensconced by now and we should hopefully accumulate less by launching this time of year.

Tell that to the critters - unfortunately they don't read the same books. My wife left our swim ladder down in the Hamble from Thursday last until I went back to it this Tuesday. There were already countless things growing (in the nature of tube worms, but very soft and small) around every step of the ladder, and weed/slime growth was so heavy that you would have slipped if you'd tried to walk up it.

Howevere, in principle, I do agree with you that marine growth seems to be at its most aggressive between April and June, and tails off a bit thereafter.

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
May I ask if you were anti-fouling when you ended up in hospital? I always feel affected when using any paint that has high VOC including antifouling but, so far, have always been OK again the following day.
I was using an adhesive called Thixofix which is high in toluene to glue carpet to the hull in the aft cabin. I felt dizzy at the time but that passed within an hour or so. However over the next few days I started to feel as if I had flu. By the end of the week my eyes went yellow, my skin started to itch all over, I had pain under my rib cage (liver) At this time I had not made the connection between the glue and my illness. Was admitted to hospital and they thought I had Hepatitis C and was put into an isolation ward. They never found any trace of a virus during my month in hospital but by chance one of the nurses husband had the same symptoms and had been using thixofix to glue tiles in a small space. Penny dropped, I had poisoned myself. I was off work for 3 month, I lost 2 stone and could not drink wine for about 3 years.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I was using an adhesive called Thixofix which is high in toluene to glue carpet to the hull in the aft cabin. I felt dizzy at the time but that passed within an hour or so. However over the next few days I started to feel as if I had flu. By the end of the week my eyes went yellow, my skin started to itch all over, I had pain under my rib cage (liver) At this time I had not made the connection between the glue and my illness. Was admitted to hospital and they thought I had Hepatitis C and was put into an isolation ward. They never found any trace of a virus during my month in hospital but by chance one of the nurses husband had the same symptoms and had been using thixofix to glue tiles in a small space. Penny dropped, I had poisoned myself. I was off work for 3 month, I lost 2 stone and could not drink wine for about 3 years.

Apologies for my delay in responding - I have only just read this. That all sounds very serious. Hitherto, I have used masks for anti-fouling but not ones with organic or charcoal filters. I will investigate what’s best.

Last edited:

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk

Very nasty. Were you using any sort of mask?

I re-did the healing on my small yacht using probably similar adhesives fortunately with no ill effects. I did use a double cartridge mask with what were probably appropriate filters a fan blowing fresh air in and all hatches open.

Sadly come Covid 19 I found filters no longer available for that mask. It might have been a bit heavy duty to go to the shops in.

jiris

Visit site
I wouldn't relay on filters of any kind for organic solvents. They have limited capacity, are quite expensive and their performance may be questionable. An independent air supply appears to be the most efficient and reliable solution. May be a bit awkward, but worth the trouble.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
The independent air supply ones are just so damn expensive jiris. I know one should think ‘what price safety’ but for amateur use they are very costly. I used a mask and cheap full face visor from Screwfix ( a countrywide tool and materials supplier that we have here in the UK) last year and working overhead it was spattered to the point of being almost unusable, very quickly. Do you by any chance have a link to what you use in Oz?

Last edited:

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Very nasty. Were you using any sort of mask?

I re-did the healing on my small yacht using probably similar adhesives fortunately with no ill effects. I did use a double cartridge mask with what were probably appropriate filters a fan blowing fresh air in and all hatches open.

Sadly come Covid 19 I found filters no longer available for that mask. It might have been a bit heavy duty to go to the shops in.

Is there only a limited time we can edit our own posts for? Healing was meant to be headlining (and cabin sides).

I was also only doing one or two pieces a day and did change the filters at recommended interval.

jiris

Visit site
The independent air supply ones are just so damn expensive jiris. I know one should think ‘what price safety’ but for amateur use they are very costly. I used a mask and cheap full face visor from Screwfix ( a countrywide tool and materials supplier that we have here in the UK) last year and working overhead it was spattered to the point of being almost unusable, very quickly. Do you by any chance have a link to what you use in Oz?
Unfortunately, my view may a view of somebody with some special resources. Being a diver, it is just too easy for me. Just standard diving gear - hookah or tanks for short jobs. Have to admit, I am not familiar with any gear especially made for this purpose.