Where’s La Vagabonde on the Algarve?

Star-Lord

Visit site
What prompted this response❓

Have you used them all❓

I would have to disagree.
I enclose a picture of La Vagabond in the best boatyard in the Algarve. You can disagree all you want. I am right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200317-131055_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200317-131055_WhatsApp.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 144

Star-Lord

Visit site
OK! Interesting :) I thought they may have gone back to Australia. The best boatyard in the Algarve has a very nice luxury apartment in the yard (right in the yard!) for clients to use if they wish. Everyone is well chuffed they turned up.They will be well looked after.

Bellacruiser

Visit site
OK! Interesting :) I thought they may have gone back to Australia. The best boatyard in the Algarve has a very nice luxury apartment in the yard (right in the yard!) for clients to use if they wish. Everyone is well chuffed they turned up.They will be well looked after.

They were in Aus but beat it back to the boat by the look of things...

Bellacruiser

Visit site
Just seen Elayna replied to a comment last night saying they will be splashing and leaving asap...at best that will be Portuguese waters only surely, but not sure that's even possible for a while. Maybe they will hang out on the hook.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Just seen Elayna replied to a comment last night saying they will be splashing and leaving asap...at best that will be Portuguese waters only surely, but not sure that's even possible for a while. Maybe they will hang out on the hook.
Really.. I have not checked the weather yet.. Maybe they go to a marina but that does not seem their style. I imagine they want to go West across the Atlantic. Maybe Guatemala is virus free.. Or maybe they go up the river!!

geem

Visit site
Really.. I have not checked the weather yet.. Maybe they go to a marina but that does not seem their style. I imagine they want to go West across the Atlantic. Maybe Guatemala is virus free.. Or maybe they go up the river!!
Guatemala is closed to Yachts. There is no chance they would get in if they have come from Europe. Trinidad is closed as is Curacao and most other Caribbean islands are following suit.

Star-Lord

Visit site
OK i'll bite; which is clearly your favorite marina?
Where La Vagabond is is my favourite yard because all the trades are on site. They even have a post master so if you need to send or receive anything it is no problem... outboards, anchors, 100m chain - send it anywhere or receive it direct to your boat. The two riggers, Antonio and Steve are always around. They are not Berthon, but the best yard in Portugal imo.

My favourite marina in your part of town is Ayamonte which is not strictly in the Algarve but close enough. I like Ayamonte because ( apart from the gins are huge and cheap and the food is incredible) I like catching the ferry to Villa Real de Sant Antonio. At night it look amazing from the Spanish side, very grand. I was told that was on purpose - looking very grand to the Spanish side! I was also told the town looks so amazing because it was designed by the same architect who did a lot of Lisbon - there was a big earthquake there and so it got done up.

Wik says - Vila Real de Santo António was founded after the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, and largely expanded in 1774 using the same architectural and construction techniques employed in the reconstruction of Lisbon after the disaster.

nortada

Visit site
Where La Vagabond is is my favourite yard because all the trades are on site. They even have a post master so if you need to send or receive anything it is no problem... outboards, anchors, 100m chain - send it anywhere or receive it direct to your boat. The two riggers, Antonio and Steve are always around. They are not Berthon, but the best yard in Portugal imo.

My favourite marina in your part of town is Ayamonte which is not strictly in the Algarve but close enough. I like Ayamonte because ( apart from the gins are huge and cheap and the food is incredible) I like catching the ferry to Villa Real de Sant Antonio. At night it look amazing from the Spanish side, very grand. I was told that was on purpose - looking very grand to the Spanish side! I was also told the town looks so amazing because it was designed by the same architect who did a lot of Lisbon - there was a big earthquake there and so it got done up.

Wik says - Vila Real de Santo António was founded after the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, and largely expanded in 1774 using the same architectural and construction techniques employed in the reconstruction of Lisbon after the disaster.

So as I understand it, your favourite marina, in my part of town (what ever that may mean) is Ayamonte, Andalusia, which is not even in Portugal, let alone, The Algarve.

Ayamonte Marina has virtually no facilities, no fuel, no lift out no storage ashore and barely adequate toileting facilities. We have been visiting the Guadiana regularly for the past 18 years and have a family house in Ayamonte so just possibly have a fair grasp of our subject.

As to your ‘ favourite boatyard’ which is in VRdSA, situated at the entrance to the Guadiana, at times it has a vicious cross current running, which can make manoeuvring difficult and has lead to a number of accidents. I have also read of unfortunate incidents with boats ashore.

Handily close to the house in Ayamonte, few yours back we looked looked closely at hauling their but on local advice, decided against it.

The reason I debunk you’re post in such detail is to warn people to look very carefully before committing their boat to your ‘favourite marina and boatyard’.

The irony, were it properly developed, Ayamonte Marina has the potential to be one of the best facilities in that area but Junta owned, the money required is unlikely to be forthcoming and it would still have much of the baggage associated with foreign flagged vessels in Spain, which could get a lot more difficult in the not too distant future.

I know all of the marinas and boatyards on The Algarve and would suggest that the best are west of Faro but THE BEST? Horses for courses.

Possibly others in the know may like to refute or add to my observations.

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
I wouldn't waste your time discussing it. Star-Lord is always right. In his own mind.

Possibly true but I would hate anybody to commit to the yard in Villa Real before taking a very close look-see.

That said, we like Ayamonte Marina and town but only for a short visit to stay with the family (who are not boaters) before proceeding up river the to Alcoutim or on our return back down the river.

Not sure where S-L gets his cheap large gins?

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Visit site
You asked me what my favourite marina was in the Algarve and I said I liked Ayamonte. It was a sly answer because I do not want to offend people who like Algarve marinas. I prefer the West coat.

Ayamonte has no facilities, no fuel, no lift out, no yard, yada, yada, yade! Yes I know. You are correct! Obviously I look for different thing in a marina. I look for location and beauty. The most beautiful marina in the Algarve is opposite Ayamonte. And I like looking at it at night when it is all lit up. It looks magnificent.

You have to realise everyones idea of paradise is different. One mans paradise is another man's hell. For me the best part of Portugal is on the West coast. For example.. between Sines and Cascais is stunning. I could sail up and down the Tagus for ever. Alcantara marina is a dump LOL but the bar where I drink has this view... Okah Rooftop Lisbon is splendid. And sophisticated. And a lot of fun!

You want to debunk my post!!!! Why would you even think of doing that? I have not mentioned the name of any boatyard or marina in the Algarve but if someone asked me for recomendations I would probably recommend the same as you.

P.S. It has just occurred to me after reading your post again that you think my favourite yard is in VRdSA. I do not know how you came to that conclusion. All I can think of is that La Vagabond is there? I texted the best boatyard in the Algarve and asked them to send me a picture of La Vagabond and they sent me two pictures. I assumed they came from the best boat yard in the Algarve because the best boatyard in the Algarve sent me the pictures! If La Vagabond is in fact in VRdSA yard then they are not in the best boatyard in the Algarve. They will however have made a very interesting choice. They would be in a most beautiful town and enjoying it immensely. And if they were there I would understand completely why!

Last edited: