When to use staysail??

RJJ

Visit site
Hello, flaming and all, thoughts gratefully received.

We are a 45 foot performance cruiser with symmetric kite. Dufour 44P, which is rather similar to a Beneteau 44.7. We also have a staysail on removable inner forestay, which can be reefed to form a storm jib.

I like to use the kite in light airs however we are short-handed and have kids on board, so I am quite conservative about preferring the jib poled-out above about 6-8 knots apparent, at which point we typically sail 150-170 degree angles and make 6.5-7.5 knots. Or if higher angles than that, we are happy making our 7.5-8.5 knots under jib alone.

I am curious as to when/whether the staysail would help us along Vs get in the way. I don't mind the degree of work involved on anything longer than a day passage.

srm

Visit site
I am curious as to when/whether the staysail would help us along

Many years ago I was a yachtmaster instructor/ sailing school principal. Whenever asked a question such as this my answer (unless it would be dangerous) was "lets try it and see". Its the best way to find out how your boat responds to different sail configurations. "An ounce of practice is worth a ton of theory"

Reactions: RJJ

CapPugwash

Visit site
We have a staysail as we're cutter rigged. It works with the yankee and the main and is great to windward. Down wind it is rubbish though.

In strong winds we sail with just the staysail and reefed main. This brings the wind force aftwards making her easier to handle. So, assuming you're a sloop, I suggest that's how'd you'd use yours. :)

yotter

Me Inverkip, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer
Visit site
We have a Dufour 34P with a removable inner forstay. It attached just aft of the anchor locker, but spends most of its life either attached to the pulpit along with the halliards when not in use or back at the mast when the furling genoa is in use. We have a storm jib with piston hanks which would use this stay. We also have a staysail with battons (and piston hanks). There is a lot of effort to setup this sail so it has not been used for about 2 years. The sail is very good beating/fetching in 25 knots but is very flat so not great in a sea if the wind drops. I would not consider using it down wind, much easier to just unfurl the genoa.

flaming

Visit site
Given that you referenced me... I'm guessing you are thinking of the staysail in addition to the spinnaker as well as the jib?

In this case, I don't think it's going to help. The staysail you are talking about is on an inner forestay, and reefable. This makes is pretty heavy, which is not a big issue when the breeze is up, but isn't great in lighter winds.
In addition... You're actually talking about having dropped the kite before the point at which it is generally considered to be worthwhile using a spinnaker staysail. Our rule of thumb is 12 knots TWS before we go for the spin staysail, so probably about 8ish AWS. Remember that the point of the spin staysail is to help attach the flow to the back of the main. When the apparent wind is too low then there is no hope of achieving this, and all the staysail does is add drag and obstruct the wind getting into the kite. Once you start holding the kite further up the wind range, then sure, it'll probably help. But I'd also echo the advice to experiment!

On hotter angles reaching with the jib, that has more potential merit, depending on the position of the inner forestay mount relative to the forestay itself. And also the lead...
Boats that are using genoa staysails in conjunction with jibs, jib tops or code sails when reaching generally have pretty outboard leads for the jib/jib top/code sail. As you do need to open up the space.
staysail-tips-fastnet-race-2017-credit-carlo-borlenghi-rolex.jpg

For example, you can see the whisker pole being used to open up the jib sheeting point in that pic. That whole article is quite a good guide actually. Staysails: 5 tips on using them to turbocharge your boat speed

Reactions: RJJ
D

Deleted member 36384

I renewed by staysail this year because it works for me. I have an inner forestay but it is set quite far aft, unlike modern twin roller reefing head sails, where it is much further forward.

In heavier winds, F3 and above, close hauled it makes a difference, at F6, with the roller reefing genoa rolled away it works much better than a deep reefed roller reefing genoa.

Down wind I take it down as its too small to be effective. An additional advantage is that hoisted it makes the genoa easier to tack as it prevents fouling on the inner forestay in lighter winds.