Whats the fastest you have been on a boat?

powerskipper

www.facebook.com
Personally I have gone about 49.9knots. could not get the 50, scary it was too.
A guy who ,when he went to do his VHF course and the instructor asked them how fast any of them had been on a boat and his reply was 600 mile an hour, not sure the instructor believed him, he does in fact holds the record .

jim.howes

Visit site
65/67 knots on a SBS craft (as per my avatar) which I used to maintain and repair, it was a boat that was designed and built by the late Fabio Butzzi basically a racing boat.

Rappey

Visit site
Had a 19ft open aluminium boat with a rib style long seat in the centre and a 200hp v6 2t yamaha on the back.
Acceleration felt like it was on par with a motorbike , it was really hard to hold on while accelerating and in absolute flat calm I touched 70 knts ,I'm sure it had more, but I didn't !
Could do marine power wheelys on demand. Terrified passengers due to acceleration.
Terrified me being capable of drinking 25 litres in 5 mins .
Next fastest vessel I've been on is probably the Sr n4 hovercraft, although that thing went some 89knts on its last journey so a retired pilot told me.
The current record is 318 mph set back in 1978. Will it ever be beaten as an extremely high risk of death attempting that.
I will apologise in advance for mentioning a wind powered vessel but hydroptere, a 60ft trimaran reached 56 knts !

Ian h

Visit site
48 knots on my Hunton but around 65 +knots on twin Petrol Hunton 43 Also went out on the Blade Runner race boat which had a higher top speed , Can not remember how fast that was

Dino

Visit site
46 knots in a twin engine Seadoo Speedster. Felt seriously quick.
26 knots on a 50ft canting keel racing yacht.

Greg2

Visit site
On a jet ski was probably the fastest but no means of saying how fast so will go for 40 knots on acceptance trials of a Redbay 12m cabin RIB with Hamilton jets. A very capable boat so not at all nerve wracking ?

MrB

Visit site
65/67 knots on a SBS craft (as per my avatar) which I used to maintain and repair, it was a boat that was designed and built by the late Fabio Buzzi basically a racing boat.

Sorry I had to correct you slightly, not being pedantic at all, MapisM would not approve of spelling his name wrong. ;) That is one nice looking boat, off to search it now! :cool:(y)

MrB

Visit site
65/67 knots on a SBS craft (as per my avatar) which I used to maintain and repair, it was a boat that was designed and built by the late Fabio Butzzi basically a racing boat.
Sweet, a BAE systems boat. I would love to know more about it.:cool:(y)

scottie

Visit site
35-40 knots in GL WATSON ragged chine boat built for the cowes to Torquay power boat race in the 60s twin V8 petrol aged 15 through the narrows at roseneath was pretty fast at the time when I was used to sail

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
The "scary" bit doesn't depend just on speed, but also on the boat and conditions.

I've yet to find out how fast the tender of my current boat can be, 'cause it's a 9' RIB with a tiller driven 15hp 2T outboard, and it's a handful already at 20kts or so, even in dead calm waters.
But my old Fountain 27 Fever with the stock 496ho could reach 72mph when lightly loaded, and was rock solid also when Lake Como was choppy, never scaring anyone onboard.
Otoh, a chap who used to have the very same boat with a spiced engine (600hp or so) did manage to scare my wife a bit, when he engaged (and won!) a sort of race in San Diego bay with a US Customs Midnight Express, at 80+ mph.

Anywyay, my personal answer to your question has got to be I don't know.
In fact, many years ago, a friend of mine invited me to try his custom 21' air entrapment catamaran, powered by the epic Merc 2.5 EFI.
He asked me to keep her straight while he took care of the throttle, and off we went.
I was petrified enough to not say anything on the intercom for a few minutes, my only concern being to hold the wheel as firmly as I could.
But after taking off on a small (surely less than 1 foot) navigation wake which I didn't even see, I politely suggested him (i.e. screamed) to slow down.
Ref. speed, the pitot speedo pickup was dirty, hence useless.
But the owner of that little monster regularly makes 120 mph with it, and according to him, even if that day we didn't go anywhere near, we surely ran into 3 digits speed.
And yes, THAT ride was scary. Every second of it.

Last edited:

skipmac

Winter in Florida, Summer Martha's Vineyard
Visit site
72 ish knots on a 36ft donzi, about 60 ish on hunton xrs 37
Did 70 mph in a 16' Donzi with a 235 HP outboard. Was a bit scary doing that on really calm, flat water as over 60 there was so little of the hull in the water it would start chine walking.

I wasn't onboard but my sailboat went 70 mph when I had it hauled down the highway on a trailer.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
47 Knots in my Fletcher 19 bow rider with a 200 hp V6 on the back. It would have gone faster but it got scary so I pulled the stick back

Offshore57

Visit site
Regularly as navigator in offshore between 78 and 82 mph (10-20 years ago)
96 mph at helm of a Fountain coming back from Torquay to Southampton between Portland and the Needles
Fastest was as a passenger in Class One start boat in Dubai at 104 mph.
Happy to bimble along at 10 knots now and take in the scenery :cool: