Whats the fastest you have been on a boat?

spannerman

Visit site
124 knots testing a Nortech I had just had the engines out of, you had to slow to 80 knots just to turn! I was ever short of mates wanting to come with me whenever I had to test the two Nortechs I looked after, one with 2 x 800 hp V8 supercharged engines, the other with 2 x 1200 hp V8 supercharged engines, fortunately it wasn’t me paying for the fuel!

Rappey

Visit site
Just curious, did she have a speedo in knots, or did you make the conversion yourself?
I've yet to come across any fast boat whose speedo isn't in mph.
You just have to look a little harder. Electronic or pitot tube can come in kmh,mph or knots.
I currently have a 16ft with 50 hp. I bought a pitot speedo reading up to 30knts, boat officially does 28 knts. The speedo is connected to the outboard rather than the supplied transom mount. It is very accurate from 8 knts, being no more than 1knt out.
Managed to get my 1.9 inflatable with keel and floor to plane with a tohatsu 3.5 2t and did 12 knts. Felt more like 30. Can't do it any more. Think I have put a little weight on !
Had a 14ft outboard powered cat with stepped hulls. 90hp 2t.
30 knts but felt like it was dragging over wave tops.
Raised the engine 4" to make it a short rather than a long shaft, 45knts !!!
Amazing how much extra drag 4" of outboard leg makes .

BruceK

Visit site
What feels the fastest but not my fastest is my 290 RIB tender with a 15 2T on the back. It has a stepped hull and once it finds it's groove it's almost entirely out of water just skipping on the back 1/3rd. I guess it's not much faster than mid 20knts 3 up but it's enough to get the kids howling to slow down.

MapisM

Visit site
96 mph at helm of a Fountain coming back from Torquay to Southampton
Was she possibly the 42' stored in the yard on the SE corner of the A3024 bridge on the Itchen (can't remember the name)?
That's where my smaller Fountain was when I bought her, and I noticed that beast inside a shelter.
I don't think there are many around, this side of the Pond.

MapisM

Visit site
You just have to look a little harder. Electronic or pitot tube can come in kmh,mph or knots.
I know they do, but on speedboats the most popular speedo is the Livorsi analogue (for better visibility) in mph.
Which doesn't allow any measurement unit selection, as opposed to digital instruments.

PalmaTarga

Visit site
55-60 knots on Eddie Jordan's Formula Honda 4 Stroke Series in the late 90's. I remember the skipper not taking much speed off to turn round buoys.

Watching this video, they look pretty sketchy!

CLB

Visit site
55-60 knots on Eddie Jordan's Formula Honda 4 Stroke Series in the late 90's. I remember the skipper not taking much speed off to turn round buoys.

I did a couple of races at the helm of one of the 225 Honda 4 stroke boats. Great fun, but easy to tip over if you got t wrong. Probably counts as the fastest I have driven a boat ( 55-60 knots was top speed), although as a passenger I have been up to 80 knots.

PalmaTarga

Visit site
I did a couple of races at the helm of one of the 225 Honda 4 stroke boats. Great fun, but easy to tip over if you got t wrong. Probably counts as the fastest I have driven a boat ( 55-60 knots was top speed), although as a passenger I have been up to 80 knots.
There's a couple of accidents from chine walking early on in that video showing how unstable they are. One shows a co-driver being spat out of his seat!

CliveF

Visit site
did about 45 - 50 mph in a straight line behind a v 8 ski boat.

That was on a tea tray with a crash helmet on! when he did the turn and i pendulumed out . I have no Idea but it was FAST , I could not pick my head up at all and the noise of the helmet bouncing / skipping across the wavelets was a deafening brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp sound.

The things you do when 18 ha !

CLB

Visit site
There's a couple of accidents from chine walking early on in that video showing how unstable they are. One shows a co-driver being spat out of his seat!

You could take the corners flat out, as long as you had the engine trimmed fully down. Leave it trimmed out, as you would have it set going down the straight, and try to take a corner and it would hook. One minute you are racing, the next you are wearing the boat as a hat.

jim.howes

Visit site
Sweet, a BAE systems boat. I would love to know more about it.:cool:(y)
Hi i can only apologise for my terrible spelling blunder. There were 2 boats Cutlass and sword and were built by Halmatic Ltd Southampton although the company was owned by Vospers they still traded under their original name(not BAE systems) . Halmatic Ltd and Vospers were swallowed up by BAE systems when they moved from Portchester to Portsmouth naval base.

Reactions: MrB

MrB

Visit site
Hi i can only apologise for my terrible spelling blunder. There were 2 boats Cutlass and sword and were built by Halmatic Ltd Southampton although the company was owned by Vospers they still traded under their original name(not BAE systems) . Halmatic Ltd and Vospers were swallowed up by BAE systems when they moved from Portchester to Portsmouth naval base.
How old were the boats you worked on and are they still built by BAE? Awesome looking boat.

Hurricane

Visit site
65mph on a our Jetski but SWMBO managed to get 70mph out of it.

Not me and not 65mph but this video shows how fast that thing is.
All the high speed was done in the lagoon at Sant Carles where that water is flat.

BruceK

Visit site

Good God!! ?That looks like uncontrolled mayhem! Well done that lot! @Kawasaki Have you seen this? Is this where you lost all your teef?

CLB

Visit site
65mph on a our Jetski but SWMBO managed to get 70mph out of it.

Not me and not 65mph but this video shows how fast that thing is.
All the high speed was done in the lagoon at Sant Carles where that water is flat.

Don't you come in here with your MPH. You're just trying to make it sound faster than it was :LOL:;)