What's the difference between a Ketch and a Yawl?

Peter_the_Grate

Visit site
What\'s the difference between a Ketch and a Yawl?

I'm confused. When I was a lad, I was told by an old salty sea dog that the difference depended on the relative positions of the helm and mizzen mast. In a two-masted yacht with a main mast and a mizzen mast, if the mizzen mast was ahead of the helming position, the boat was a Ketch. If it was aft of the helming position, it was a Yawl. This has since been poo-pooed by another salty sea dog, and of course my elders and betters know best.

I have three questions -
1. Is the rule (above) a good one?
2. If not, how do I tell?
3. Should I care?

((:)-)

G

Re: What\'s the difference between a Ketch and a Yawl?

Hi,

From memory: -

A ketch has the mizzen stepped before the rudder post and a yawl has the mizzen stepped aft of the rudder post.

Regards

Fred

NigelW

Visit site

Good question. I bet there are many out there who aren't sure, but don't dare to ask.
I was always led to believe it was the rudder post that defined the diference. Where the mizzen was behind the rudder post, then it ( sorry, SHE ) was a yawl, as you suggest. This may have been becuase the steering position could be almost anywhere, within reason, of course.

I am sure that more knowledgeable sialors than I can confirm, or otherwise, our comments.

Nigel

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu

I was told the same many years ago, namely that the rudder post position relative to the mizzen mast makes the difference. We had one boat though, where we never knoew for sure, since the rudder post was angled and the mizzen mast was right on top. The yard called her a ketch.

alant

Visit site

Yes, before or behind the rudder post is the determining factor, although there is a day boat called a Devon Yawl where this is applied incorrectly. The other factor, is that the mizzen is smaller than the main in both yawl & ketch, otherwise it would be Schooner rigged.

Visit site
Re: Please ignore

x<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jonjo on Thu May 23 18:53:01 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Quotation from Admiralty Manual of Seamanship (1951!)
...the vessel would be called a "ketch" if her mizzen-mast were stepped before the tiller, and a "yawl" if it were stepped abaft the tiller head.
It does go on to say that the mizzen of a ketch is usually much larger than that of a yawl, the former being designed primarily to help in driving the boat along, whereas the purpose of the latter is chiefly to aid the steering of the vessel.

B

bob_tyler

Easy way to remember:

K before Y in alphabet

Ketch mast before rudder post

Yawl mast after rudder post

incognito

N/A
Visit site

A VERY fine point is identified in my yacht designers book - the yawl has its mizzen aft of the centre of effort of the rudder.... ho hum.

G

Re: so what do you call...

Hi

Peter writes

"So what do you call A boat with a main mast and a tiny mizzen stepped way aft"

Gorgeous. :)

Regards

Fred