What's a 2 stroke outboard worth?

Caraway

Visit site
Just talking to a friend in the village who sold a small sailing cruiser last year and he said he still has his back-up outboard which he thinks he may get rid of. I think it will be desirable, which surprised him.

I suggested he put it on eBay or Facebook.

What do you think it's worth. It's about 10 years old. A Suzuki 4hp, long shaft. He thinks it's not had a gallon of fuel through it, as it was just kept in the locker. It was serviced last year.

It's like this one (but long shaft).

39637b1147a683a5a81e4ceec777c24a.jpg

Topcat47

Visit site
I don't know anything about this particular model, but I"ve had a number of enquiries about my own Tohatsu 3.5 stroker over the last three years and it's got a very unbleached set of covers on it. Best offer was £340. I turned it down of course.

TernVI

Visit site
Possibly if you want a long shaft, the reasons for wanting a 2T are less?

£300/£350 for an immaculate motor does not seem execessive to me.
Whether it's 2 years old or 10 is not a big deal, either way I'd get good use out of it for at least 5 years, and then it would not be so shiny!
Suzuki are a bit marmite, I'd prefer a Yamaha.

Mark-1

Visit site

Not in my case. The fact my OB needs to be a long shaft makes it more likely I need to tip it upside down to retrieve it. The general awkwardness of the extra length makes the lesser weight even more valuable.

penfold

Visit site

£300/£350 for an immaculate motor does not seem execessive to me.
Whether it's 2 years old or 10 is not a big deal, either way I'd get good use out of it for at least 5 years, and then it would not be so shiny!
Suzuki are a bit marmite, I'd prefer a Yamaha.
Assuming the guts are the same as the previous iteration with the boxy cowling design, it's just a somewhat more agricultural design(than the likes of yamaha etc) which manifests itself at this end of the range by being heavier than most other 2t 4hp; they're strongly built though so if it was for an engine permanently in a well or on a bracket rather than frequently lifted on and off definitely should be considered.

dancrane

Visit site
I thought the same. I believe Mariner are the same basic engines as Mercury, and my Mariner 3.5 short-shaft is 28lbs, not 40.

dancrane

Visit site
Ah, that would explain it. I didn't follow the link, just read the line of introduction - "a comparison chart for 4hp 2stroke engines"