What Yacht?

lustyd

Visit site
It depends on your budget, and whether your dream is intended to become reality or remain a dream, but a discussion with one of the custom builders would soon come up with something. Trouble is, as someone once said about something else, if you need to ask the price, you can't afford it
The last two dreams became reality so I'll remain hopeful. Before I bought the Viv20 I had no money whatsoever and quite a bit of debt, so a 20' cruiser was a real dream come true and a stretch originally intended to be shared with a friend to spread costs. 10 years and thousands of miles on I'd managed to reverse that situation and get rid of the debt, buy a house, and save some money so decided to treat myself to the new boat which will hopefully bring 10s of thousands of miles and many years happiness. One has to have dreams and goals though, so I've started working on the next plan of something comfortable to mooch around on somewhere much warmer than Britain. I would expect the next one to be more of a long term retirement kind of boat though as by then I'll be nearing 50 ?
Now I think about it I may end up getting a cat which might give a better living space. The Vagabond Outremer seems like a nice layout I'm just not sure I'm sold on twin hulls yet

Sybarite

Visit site
Having recently bought my dream boat I find myself needing the next dream for a few years down the road but feeling very uninspired. I don't need 7 heads, I just don't. I can't believe anyone does. I would like something maybe 45'-50' and modern. Boat designers seem overly obsessed with sofas and toilets for some reason I can't quite fathom. I don't need a sofa behind the sofa and I don't need a sofa behind the chart table. What I'd quite like is a two bedroom two bathroom boat with space and a bit of luxury. Why not a walk in wardrobe, or an office space? Or a bar area and some open floor like Uma? Does such a boat exist? It seems pointless dreaming of a next boat where I have no better an experience but I have multiple spare rooms.

I realise most new boats come via the charter route, but surely someone must have an option for something nice without jumping to 80' or designing it myself?
Amel Santorin 14m 2 cabins 2 heads.

lustyd

Visit site
I have looked at the Amels but there's just something about them that I don't like. I can't explain it, they clearly are good boats and very capable and sensibly put together. They just get the balance between head and heart wrong I think, and I couldn't buy a boat that I didn't fall in love with. I think this is where the production boats win - they make people (myself included) like the boat enough that a few shortcomings in practicality can be forgiven.

lustyd

Visit site
Now that's an innovative layout! It's a shame they top out at 40' as they look a bit crammed in but the design thinking is excellent. I'd never even heard of Sirius so thanks for that one.

lustyd

Visit site
Well if you don't like log keels than this is probably not the boat for you but its modern and I think it nice - if I had the money it wold maybe be my dream boat
Robert Perry 43 ft carbon cutter
Betts | Carbon Cutters (Perry 43)
It's funny I like that they're using carbon etc. but their USP seems to be looking like an old boat which is not for me, especially with the big bulkheads down below!

Tranona

Visit site
Two more for your list. Gunfleet 43 for modern modern or Rustler 44 for old(er) modern

Last edited:

Hacker

Visit site
Now that's an innovative layout! It's a shame they top out at 40' as they look a bit crammed in but the design thinking is excellent. I'd never even heard of Sirius so thanks for that one.
You need to go on one! The 35 has more internal space than a normal 40ft boat. The DS40 is very spacious.

lustyd

Visit site
I'm sure they are spacious, I meant more that it would be nice to see what they could do with another few feet :D

lustyd

Visit site
That Sense 51 is nice, I like that the chart table has effectively been moved to a separate office space. I also quite like their kitchen/diner layout on both sizes as it removes the excess sofa issue. It's kind of odd looking at the cockpit, I assume there's a huge space under there but it's not clear on the site. Guessing machine room under the cockpit with those big lockers at the back which are probably large enough for a shed/workshop on one side.

cmedsailor

Visit site
The standard owners versions of Elan Impression 45, 444 and 434 were two cabins and two heads (and separate shower in the bow cabin). However, they are very rare to find.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
HR 44 is the boat for you if you win the lottery. nearest in the production end is Bavaria Vision 46 but only one loo - huge walk in storage. Older Vision 44 also and has 2 loos but 3 cabins one of which could be converted to storage. Go older and you have a bigger choice of Moodys, Westerlys, HR, Oyster, Malos, Najads, Contests and so on, but most in that size achieve the accommodation at the expense of cockpit and deck space.
I’m going to add a vote for the bav visions. A while back I was fender kicking (not changing up for other reasons now) but I thought the bav vision 50 was a cracker of a boat for luxury family cruising.

a mate bought a westerly Corsair a few years ago and has (at last I heard) taken it from Milford haven to New Zealand. Bang for buck I think that a good condition Corsair is an excellent boat but it’s not got 21st century kerb appeal.

Tranona

Visit site
That Sense 51 is nice, I like that the chart table has effectively been moved to a separate office space. I also quite like their kitchen/diner layout on both sizes as it removes the excess sofa issue. It's kind of odd looking at the cockpit, I assume there's a huge space under there but it's not clear on the site. Guessing machine room under the cockpit with those big lockers at the back which are probably large enough for a shed/workshop on one side.
It has a crew cabin - at least a bunk under the port cockpit seat. Useful for keeping your Ukranian companion when not needed or the wife is onboard.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I like the beneteau sense models (for Mediterranean sailing). They represent a real effort to try and do something different in terms of the interior design, to blur the line between Monohull, catamaran and Mobo.

Quick boats as well; we came second to a Sense 51 in a race at porquerolles in 2019. It did have fancy sails, a couple of very handy crew and the MD of Beneteau on board.