What Yacht?

lustyd

Visit site
Having recently bought my dream boat I find myself needing the next dream for a few years down the road but feeling very uninspired. I don't need 7 heads, I just don't. I can't believe anyone does. I would like something maybe 45'-50' and modern. Boat designers seem overly obsessed with sofas and toilets for some reason I can't quite fathom. I don't need a sofa behind the sofa and I don't need a sofa behind the chart table. What I'd quite like is a two bedroom two bathroom boat with space and a bit of luxury. Why not a walk in wardrobe, or an office space? Or a bar area and some open floor like Uma? Does such a boat exist? It seems pointless dreaming of a next boat where I have no better an experience but I have multiple spare rooms.

I realise most new boats come via the charter route, but surely someone must have an option for something nice without jumping to 80' or designing it myself?

geem

Visit site
Thats exactly the problem we had when looking for a liveaboard boat. Two good size cabins with a heads each, loads of storage, big galley and saloon. They dont seem to exist in modern production boats. We ended up with an old boat that fit the criteria and we have never regretted it. The more miles we sail her the more confidence she gives us. She is comfy and quick and solidly built. Generous tankage and a big engine. If such a modern boat existed we may well of bought it.

Tranona

Visit site
HR 44 is the boat for you if you win the lottery. nearest in the production end is Bavaria Vision 46 but only one loo - huge walk in storage. Older Vision 44 also and has 2 loos but 3 cabins one of which could be converted to storage. Go older and you have a bigger choice of Moodys, Westerlys, HR, Oyster, Malos, Najads, Contests and so on, but most in that size achieve the accommodation at the expense of cockpit and deck space.

lustyd

Visit site
I think the HR44 might be a good contender. When I saw it on YouTube I kind of dismissed it but I hadn't noticed that the layout is really quite nice! I'm not generally an HR fan but their designs are gradually getting there and this looks like a great layout

RJJ

Visit site
An easy route is an AWB starting with a pretty standard three cabin layout and convert accordingly. Our Dufour 44 for example already has a walk-in shower in the forward heads. We need the third cabin for kids, but otherwise...

If you want two cabin two heads, you could convert the aft cabin into a wardrobe, wine cave, or whatever you fancy, and also expand the cockpit locker to give you more storage. Relative to other options like the HR44 you'd probably have money in your pocket to do all that really nicely, and still change to modify/refurbish the saloon.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Having recently bought my dream boat I find myself needing the next dream for a few years down the road but feeling very uninspired. I don't need 7 heads, I just don't. I can't believe anyone does. I would like something maybe 45'-50' and modern. Boat designers seem overly obsessed with sofas and toilets for some reason I can't quite fathom. I don't need a sofa behind the sofa and I don't need a sofa behind the chart table. What I'd quite like is a two bedroom two bathroom boat with space and a bit of luxury. Why not a walk in wardrobe, or an office space? Or a bar area and some open floor like Uma? Does such a boat exist? It seems pointless dreaming of a next boat where I have no better an experience but I have multiple spare rooms.

I realise most new boats come via the charter route, but surely someone must have an option for something nice without jumping to 80' or designing it myself?
Wauquiez 48?

lustyd

Visit site
I hadn't really thought of looking at new models, I'd been browsing second hand stuff so thanks for inspiring me. It looks like the Sun Odyssey 440 might be a really good next step. It has a version with two very generous cabins but more importantly they've also replaced one sofa with a walk in wardrobe and the chart table looks more like an office desk! The 490 looks like it might be even better. Perhaps designers are listening I've just been looking at the wrong boats :D

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I hadn't really thought of looking at new models, I'd been browsing second hand stuff so thanks for inspiring me. It looks like the Sun Odyssey 440 might be a really good next step. It has a version with two very generous cabins but more importantly they've also replaced one sofa with a walk in wardrobe and the chart table looks more like an office desk! The 490 looks like it might be even better. Perhaps designers are listening I've just been looking at the wrong boats :D
Sun odyssey DS range especially the bigger one. Really great layout below especially for a coastal cruiser I mean.

ip485

Visit site
Obviously a big Island Packet - designed for owners, not to charter. Even the 50 footer, essentially two state rooms (to make them sound much posher than they are), there are two heads, one for each stateroom, and large saloon and galley. What more do you need.

Tranona

Visit site
You could add a Southerly 420 to your list, again centre cockpit.

I think once you start looking past the mass producers you will find a lot that meet your brief from smaller builders, although there are fewer around now than there used to be.

lustyd

Visit site
I’m certainly not touching Southerly the history there puts me off regardless of new ownership. I’ve always thought them nice boats though.
I’ll take a look at island packet although not a fan of long keels

Stemar

Visit site
It depends on your budget, and whether your dream is intended to become reality or remain a dream, but a discussion with one of the custom builders would soon come up with something. Trouble is, as someone once said about something else, if you need to ask the price, you can't afford it