What the.....

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Did it run aground and lose bouyancy?

My feeling too. Looks like she ran aground. Probably rode up on her keel and then when the helmsman attempted to steer to starboard, she just toppled over to port. She's definitely aground after the capsize because she'd be much lower in the water if she wasnt

Judging by the bulbous bow she's obviously a boat intended to go offshore so I guess she must have reasonable stability in deep water

Portofino

Visit site
Books on Navel Architecture are a fascinating read .
They don’t all topple over when a ground . :) Some have deliberate low centre of gravity designed in as close a possible to the centre of buoyancy. Reducing pitch and roll when running .
0E01D306-310E-4203-9409-B13D8197170E.jpeg

Bouba

Visit site
Books on Navel Architecture are a fascinating read .
They don’t all topple over when a ground . :) Some have deliberate low centre of gravity designed in as close a possible to the centre of buoyancy. Reducing pitch and roll when running .
View attachment 87390
I take it that this is not your boat and that is not the Med??

Bouba

Visit site
She seems to have a very fine keel. So if she hit a hard bottom (but not so hard to damage her) then the keel couldn’t settle add that to the helm to starboard she might just topple over

James L

Visit site
My feeling too. Looks like she ran aground. Probably rode up on her keel and then when the helmsman attempted to steer to starboard, she just toppled over to port. She's definitely aground after the capsize because she'd be much lower in the water if she wasnt

Judging by the bulbous bow she's obviously a boat intended to go offshore so I guess she must have reasonable stability in deep water
I agree, I would guess when they steered hard to starboard just before the keel went hard aground the momentum kept her rolling. Also looks like a river so if they're going with the flow it would have pushed the boat over once the keel grounded perpendicular to it.

Offshore boats like this aren't designed to stay upright, they should roll. If this was deeper water the buoyancy of the upper structure would have righted her.
I've seen plenty of trawlers aground on the river where we row and not many stayed upright at low tide.

Porto, I imagine if your Itama hit ground at full speed and at full lock you wouldn't have such a pleasant picture to post :)