what size heater for a MF 695 ?

ST840

Visit site
wallas do a 1300 is that man enough for a south UK winter ?
Take a look at the Chinese copies on eBay. Here is an example.

Put that item number into the eBay search bar. I have a 5kw version on my 8.6m boat and it's great. Just swap the fuel lines and get a proper SS exhaust. For this money you can't go wrong. Even if it only lasts 3-4 seasons you just buy another and swap them over !!

simonfraser

Visit site
Take a look at the Chinese copies on eBay. Here is an example.

Put that item number into the eBay search bar. I have a 5kw version on my 8.6m boat and it's great. Just swap the fuel lines and get a proper SS exhaust. For this money you can't go wrong. Even if it only lasts 3-4 seasons you just buy another and swap them over !!

fair point, but i don't want it failing during a journey out, my previous 'proper' heater has been no problem and has not set the boat on fire

ST840

Visit site
fair point, but i don't want it failing during a journey out, my previous 'proper' heater has been no problem and has not set the boat on fire
Well neither has my Chinese one. Apart from the exhaust they supply which is for a van not a boat the quality is as good as a webasto or eberschpacer.

freddyuk

Visit site
I second this. I have a 5KW on my 805 fitted on the stern in the lazerette. One outlet in the rear deck, one in the saloon and one in the front cabin. Loads of heat.
Use copper fuel line and marine exhaust with exhaust bandaged and kept away from pipes etc. I have not yet heard of any issues with chinese heaters. Check the facebook group for ongoing info or Youtube for loads of testing. There is a fire extinguisher in the lazerette anyway. Bear in mind Espacher et al were done for price fixing on these heaters.

jon and michie

Visit site
I'm in the middle of doing an install on mine - Definitely change the exhaust pipe and get a marine silencer and skin fitting (got mine from Southern lasers)

Rappey

Visit site
I would think that even a 2kw blow air heater would be a bit much for a small cabin .
Are you after heat for underway or for overnighting ?

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Most boats have insulation like a yougurt plastic cup so to keep at cosy room comfort during freezing winter nights take some heating.

If you take air from the outside, run it though the heater and blow it into the cabin(s), there will be a nice drying effect but it will take more kWs. Recirculation will preserve the heat but also keep humidity inside.

Regardless of make the crucial thing is the amount of heating and the control. Some thermostats have a wide band hysteresis (the range from 'on' to 'off') so you commonly feel too cold/warm. Good systems are more accurate and while approaching the set temperature will go to low performance, to avoid frequents stop/start (takes a lot of power and eventually kills the pre-heater plug). When needed it will simply increase the performance.

I'd suggest to make a test during a chilly night when on shore power. Bring a standard 1000 w heat fan and see how that goes. Personally I like to have a slightly too big heater running on low most of the time - not least to keep the noise low.

R400

Visit site
I fitted a Mikuni 2kw to our 805 and found it adequate with just 1 outlet in the fore cabin and a demister . Didnt boat in the depth of winter tho

Rappey

Visit site
For under way I would connect a car heater to your inboard. No running costs and extremely reliable

ChromeDome

Visit site
For under way I would connect a car heater to your inboard. No running costs and extremely reliable

Plenty of "kw" universal car heater blower matrix site:.uk available in many heating capacities, e.g.

t7_lwh-1-dec20.jpg

Connects to the engine coolant circuit (just like a domestic water heater), but if fitting a diesel heater it just will be an extra installation as the diesel device would cover the need under all circumstances.

Depending on requirements, a heater demister would cover the need while under way and a standard heating fan would do the job while on shore power. Unless heating is needed when anchored where no shore power available, there would be no need for a diesel heater at all?

Last edited:

simonfraser

Visit site
I fitted a Mikuni 2kw to our 805 and found it adequate with just 1 outlet in the fore cabin and a demister . Didnt boat in the depth of winter tho

tnx, just figured that the 1300W Wallas, has no thermostat, so it is just on / off which wears the 'glowplug' out
will go bigger to 2kW, Mikuni ones have been around for some time, not heard of those b4

the universal heater demisters look intersting, but will be at anchor for some time, so that would not be suitable

Bigplumbs

Visit site
The Chinese ones are now about £100 and are excellent. If you are worried just buy 2 and you have a full set of spares. They will not fail however. I have 2 one in my boat and the other in a workshop and they just work.

Don't be fooled by the whole brand thing and also know that the two main brands were fined by the EU a huge amount of money for price fixing... Do a google search you will soon find out

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Well I am making a box in my workshop (I know it is a mega mess) and I just started one of my Chinese diesel Heaters and as I expected it started after sitting there all summer. I have the same one in my Sealine S24 and it is just as good. For a boat you need to swap out the exhaust outlet but loads on ebay.

I made you a short video because I cannot recommend them more highly. There is also a little remote control and separate control screen

jon and michie

Visit site
Providing you set the heater up you should be good - if its any consolation I have gone with a Chinese one with a aluminium body.
If your previous heater was in your current boat then most of the gubbins is already there

ChromeDome

Visit site
Just to add on my install I used butterfly outlets so you can close off what you don't need. Decent stainless not the plastic ones.

Me too, three vents in all (2 lower cabins + heads) on one diesel heater. Just be aware that adjusting the outlets to reduce flow in desired areas will affect the back pressure in the ducting and potentially make the heater stop with an error code (overheating). Ducting increases the back pressure (diameter + distance + number of bends + vents,.)

My upper cabin has it's own diesel heater with very short ducting and one vent - never fails.

Last edited: