What should I have done?

flaming

Visit site
I agree with your analysis with one caveat: it is not clear that the racer ran out of water and so needed to tack. If they were merely stuck in a bad position but free to continue sailing along the contour then I believe they have no right to force Jimmy (in the hypothetical where Jimmy is also racing) to let them tack out of there.
Yes, agree. I did take the OP to mean that they had run out of water (or were worried that they shortly would) but I accept that you could read it that they just wanted to tack. And in that case they would indeed have no right to ask to tack if racing.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I agree with your analysis with one caveat: it is not clear that the racer ran out of water and so needed to tack. If they were merely stuck in a bad position but free to continue sailing along the contour then I believe they have no right to force Jimmy (in the hypothetical where Jimmy is also racing) to let them tack out of there.
That is true, but much abused. Boats merely in a bad position often call for water. You have to give way, and complain later.

PhillM

Visit site
Must admit I’d have tacked away and left him to it. Doesn’t matter if he was right or wrong. Yeah I know the rules … but tbh it’s a hobby. Be relaxed and smile. Works wonders.

steve yates

Visit site
Surely the racer had the option to drop back and cross jimmys stern ? In which case putting the engine on was a courtesy, but not something required to prevent the racer going aground as that option was always available, and failure to take it would be the race skippers own choice and own fault.
Be different if he had screwed up and got himself into a pickle hecouldnt get out of but it doesn't appear to be the case. The problem the race skipper was calling for water for was so he wouldnt lose time or position, in which case, tough shit :)
I would have thought part of racing is to to take into account other traffic and sail your course to avoid and go round them, treating them as moving obstructions the racer can have no control over.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Surely the racer had the option to drop back and cross jimmys stern ? In which case putting the engine on was a courtesy, but not something required to prevent the racer going aground as that option was always available, and failure to take it would be the race skippers own choice and own fault.
Be different if he had screwed up and got himself into a pickle hecouldnt get out of but it doesn't appear to be the case. The problem the race skipper was calling for water for was so he wouldnt lose time or position, in which case, tough shit :)
I would have thought part of racing is to to take into account other traffic and sail your course to avoid and go round them, treating them as moving obstructions the racer can have no control over.
Other boats and commercial shipping are very much obstructions. The fact that they move is nothing to do with it, apart from the obligations of colregs. Tactics need to be modified to take them into account. Failure to spot the arrival of a tanker when racing in Cowes can ruin your race. A sailing cruiser is no different apart from size. You can’t assume they'll get out of your way. How many more boats could they have to avoid? Better by far to stick to the letter of colregs. Everyone knows where they are then. It would be good manners for cruising sailors to avoid obvious start areas by changing course early. But other than that, for Gods sake stand on if that is your right. Or we'll all get in a mess.

The Q

Visit site
This problem is common in river racing, I've had people sail up inside me, when there is water clear ahead on the inside and then they try to call for water. My response would be , OK, I but I protest..
As a non competitor I'd just tell them so ........ Off I'm not racing, you are not entitled to water.

I've even had people clear astern, calling for water because there would be none when they got an underlap with their bowsprit..

benjenbav

Visit site
I think you should have offered him a line and claimed salvage. :)
Failing that, what you did plus a stiff letter to the club as to permitting competitors with insufficient sense to be out on their own to participate in organised races.

Other threads that may be of interest