What is this gorgeous creature?

Cantata

Visit site
Ray Wall did indeed design nice boats. Here's the Nich 43 'Dark Horse', brand new in her first season (1970 or 1971) in Lake Solent and then owned by Lloyds Bank. More recently she was moored off Harwich, don't know where she is now.
That's me sprawled on the cabin top.
Scan_0002.jpg

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Ray Wall did indeed design nice boats. Here's the Nich 43 'Dark Horse', brand new in her first season (1970 or 1971) in Lake Solent and then owned by Lloyds Bank. More recently she was moored off Harwich, don't know where she is now.
That's me sprawled on the cabin top.
View attachment 122478

I know who owns her now - John Munns, the surveyor.

TLouth7

Visit site
Just now reversing into its berth
IMHO Spirit yachts are a horrible pastiche. Bow overhang too short, not enough spring in the sheer line, ridiculously exaggerated stern overhang. The cockpits are an ergonomic disaster.
So not at all like [this boat which is definitely not] Duet (above) then?

A bit like a boating version of a Panther Lima ... or perhaps an e-Type lookalike with modern chassis and electric drive.
Or perhaps a DB5? The DB5 Junior - Own a piece of history

Last edited:

Kukri

Visit site
So not at all like Duet (above) then?

Or perhaps a DB5? The DB5 Junior - Own a piece of history

That’s not “Duet”. The Trust Fund Babe is reclining comfortably in her cradle at Foxs (I know this because Kukri is about to join her for the winter) having sat out the pandemic which ruled out her style of sail training.

TLouth7

Visit site
That’s not “Duet”. The Trust Fund Babe is reclining comfortably in her cradle at Foxs (I know this because Kukri is about to join her for the winter) having sat out the pandemic which ruled out her style of sail training.
Damn, scuppered by my own confidence! The companionway/deckhouse is incredibly similar. Though now I look little else is.

Kukri

Visit site
Damn, scuppered by my own confidence! The companionway/deckhouse is incredibly similar. Though now I look little else is.

This is Duet’s companionway deckhouse:

49C434B2-C47D-49EA-B093-0AAF0606117C.jpeg

She got it from Bloodhound when HRH thought he might persuade HM into sailing if she had a better place to sit and look at the Scottish weather from, and gave Bloodhound the one she has now.
7127BA3F-5E13-472C-92FB-D5548C6DE315.jpeg

DanTribe

Visit site
I crewed on the gaff ketch Betty Alan in the Maldon Regatta. At the Parade of Sail past the Prom, a "celebrity" commentator announced " here comes Duet".
Our skipper shouted back
"no we're bloody not. We are much better looking!"

Other threads that may be of interest