What is the make of this boat?

Daydream believer

Visit site
I am more intrigued by the window with a shutter on the outside & a brick wall on the inside.
Is that the room where you keep the mother in Law?

From the shape she might be a one off early quarter tonner perhaps. It looks as if she has had a keel alteration. Seems to be circa 22 ft which would be about the size. Hull shape suggests a fairly quick, light design. the lack of side decks is not unknown for that era. ie Anderson & Listang. Difficult to put crew weight outboard though. Easier to build quick with good internal volume. Bit of headroom to drop sails through if there is a hatch there.

Last edited:

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I'd like to see a view of the deck. The sort of dog house over the forehatch is unusual and is the diagonal line indicating an edge or a trick of the light? The rounded bow should be a good clue.
Also intrigued by the brick bond, sort of a mixture of Flemish garden wall and monk bond.

Snoopy463

Visit site
Expanding the thread a little; I see the advantage of alternating headers and stretchers to give a nice strong wall and have for long been an admirer of Flemish bonded garden walls, but when building a house which will almost certainly have a cavity wall and indeed insulation, does the header bridge the cavity or is merely a decorative half batt these days? ?

Dan Tribe

Visit site
Expanding the thread a little; I see the advantage of alternating headers and stretchers to give a nice strong wall and have for long been an admirer of Flemish bonded garden walls, but when building a house which will almost certainly have a cavity wall and indeed insulation, does the header bridge the cavity or is merely a decorative half batt these days? ?
If it's in a cavity wall it will be done with what is called "snapped headers" . Some bricks can be cut by hitting with a trowel [keep your thumb out of the way], others have to be sawn. Sometimes both halves can be used, but it is a bit more expensive in labour.

DownWest

Visit site
If it's in a cavity wall it will be done with what is called "snapped headers" . Some bricks can be cut by hitting with a trowel [keep your thumb out of the way], others have to be sawn. Sometimes both halves can be used, but it is a bit more expensive in labour.
Don't you have a brick bolster? I learnt brick laying on the 'practical' day at East Herts College of Building, about the same time as you, along with lead burning and other skills.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Don't you have a brick bolster? I learnt brick laying on the 'practical' day at East Herts College of Building, about the same time as you, along with lead burning and other skills.
No time for a bolster when one is on a price, It is why a decent trowel has a curve on one side. To compensate the wear of cutting bricks.
I had forgotten the lead burning classes. I was a dab hand at that, but when i tried it in later life I never had a proper torch.
Mid Essex Tech College & School of Art, Chelmsford.

Last edited:

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Not much input here. I may instead try the Guild of Bricklayers to get some advice on the origin of this boat.
It's certainly distinctive, and I think we'd remember it if we'd seen one before. Is it possible that the deck at least is a one-off? Maybe built on a daysailer hull?

DownWest

Visit site
STOL17
If you could put up a few more photos it might help. The hull looks (to me) from the 70s. But what is unusual is the narrow bit of the cabin forward (?) of the mast with the windows. So, a couple of photos from above and further away would be useful
If it is in Germany, mentioning that also be of interest.
DW