What is Mornington Crescent

fredrussell

Visit site
I would love to find an audio compilation of all the ‘Samantha…’ anecdotes from over the years, especially the Humphrey Littleton ones. Jack Dee is a great host but there was always something more innocent sounding in Humph’s delivery. Much missed.

northwind

Visit site
I would love to find an audio compilation of all the ‘Samantha…’ anecdotes from over the years, especially the Humphrey Littleton ones. Jack Dee is a great host but there was always something more innocent sounding in Humph’s delivery. Much missed.
And so it shall be done

RogerJolly

Visit site
I was in the loo with Humph at the break in a jazz gig he was doing in Barnes. Very surreal peeing next to a national treasure.

Wish I'd have said something normal like 'enjoying the gig thanks Mr Lyttelton'. Too busy trying to think of something witty though and didn't say anything.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I've never noticed that, I'd long thought that it stemmed from the tube station being over the road from the Lyttleton pub?
I did once follow Humph into the pub (or v.v.) after a recording but I don't remember the name of the pub back then. I presumed it had been renamed after him because he recorded so much jazz and ISIHAC there.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I was in the loo with Humph at the break in a jazz gig he was doing in Barnes. Very surreal peeing next to a national treasure.

Wish I'd have said something normal like 'enjoying the gig thanks Mr Lyttelton'. Too busy trying to think of something witty though and didn't say anything.
You might have ended up with egg on face like I did in attempting to make conversation with George Melly at the bar after a recording. I merely said, didn't he used to write the words for the Flook cartoon. He said, reasonably enough, "I still do" and turned his back!

johnalison

Visit site
I suspect that Mornington Crescent was derived from the classic table game whose name I’ve forgotten. In this game two players wait until there is someone around to watch and then start moving items of tableware, cutlery, cruet etc, in the manner of a chess game, giving the moves spurious titles. Success is measure by the degree of confusion engendered in the audience.

RobbieW

Visit site
I suspect that Mornington Crescent was derived from the classic table game whose name I’ve forgotten. In this game two players wait until there is someone around to watch and then start moving items of tableware, cutlery, cruet etc, in the manner of a chess game, giving the moves spurious titles. Success is measure by the degree of confusion engendered in the audience.
That sounds like it should be called 'Godot' :)