What I might did wrong with my antifauling?

tillergirl

Visit site
2 weeks is fine. But one coat is not sufficient I'm afraid. You will find the second coat needs a lot less AF than the first. Also in my opinion, in the Blackwater you need Flag Performance Extra rather than the Cruising.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
2 weeks is fine. But one coat is not sufficient I'm afraid. You will find the second coat needs a lot less AF than the first. Also in my opinion, in the Blackwater you need Flag Performance Extra rather than the Cruising.
I don't know why companies make a cheap antifoul. Just damaged reputation. Like going to pub asking for a pint Guinness being asked want a real pint or a watered down version.

Bobc

Visit site
That Flag stuff is really thin and not particularly good in the first place.

To make it work, you need at least 2 coats, probably 3.

Buy a better paint next time and put 2 coats on.

slawosz

Visit site
I will definitely do 2 coats now.

I don't use anything more expensive (yet) for 2 reason - I am afraid I will botch the job and hull is not perfect. Oh, and I already bought it. I will see how the Flag will go this year. If no lockdown this winter, I might even scrub hull to gelcoat (boat is small) and consider coppercoat. It would cost me 400 for my boat, so its not that expensive.

MikeCC

www.allGadgets.co.uk
I think 2 weeks max. I did 1 coat because I probably lost lot of paint on the thick roller. Will do 2 coats this year for sure.
Most antifoul now has at least 3 months to launch time, so shouldn't be an issue.

Definitely go for a low pile roller next time! Look for the ANZA felt type, give a nice smooth finish.

I'd agree with others, 2 coats needed all over, more on leading edges and waterline.

oldgit

Visit site
Over the last 30 + odd years...................
Have never ever put more than one coat of A/F on any of my motorboat hulls , varying from displacement/semi displacement and planing hulls.
Too mean too lazy, your choice. :)
Boats have been on both half tide berths and afloat all the time .
Area either the Swale on on the Medway.
A/F has been whatever is handy/cheap or simply around at the time in just about every colour and from every manufacturer.
Frequently stuff that you were more likely to find on a barge than a leisure boat.
Always a soft A/F. Drying berths were much better at preventing growth on the hull.
The amount of fouling varied immensely from year to year, irrespective of what particular goo was slapped on, as did the sort of fouling.
Last three boats have been afloating 24/7 but with the added complication of brackish water from the upper Medway in the mix.
Long term observations suggest that water conditions appeared to have have far more effect than any particular brew of anti foul.
Last time boat was out of water could not be bothered to apply A/F , so merely jetwashed off. Boat hardly moved for 12 months, a quick test run after lockdown , proved boat had hardly lost any performance. Boat was slipped, literally nothing underneath, except large areas of old A/F in lots of different colours light coating of slime and the odd barncule.

This year have purchased some Arm and Leg Super Whizzy hard A/F (TM) Have still only applied one coat.
Will see how we get on.
Ps. Coppercoat is on present boat but over coated by previous owner.

Last edited:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Seamark Nunn have cut the price from £49.95 to £36.95 re Flag Cruising Antifoul 2.5l.

They are doing Hempel Cruising Performer at £54.95 for 2.5l. This has a specific gravity of 1.8kg per litre compared to Flag Cruising at 1.55kg . It essentially means a lot more copper .

The Flag Performance has a gravity of 1.8 at a price of £69.95.

I remember speaking to the Blakes rep some years ago. On investigating complainants ,
it was almost always found that the paint had been applied too thinly and not as directed on the tin.

Neeves

Visit site
If you contact the AF manufacturers you will find, or I have found (in Australia) they have technicians who are more than happy to offer you advise. Go armed with your yacht dimensions and they will tell you how many litres of paint you need to achieve a coating that will last an, approximate, period of time. This information sometimes appears on the tin but they employ technicians, the technicians are happy to speak to you - it costs you nothing.

I accept that one might think they will over estimate what you need - so ring more than one manufacturer and then checking that you are comparing like with like (check the SG) make an average. Note the comment above - higher SG, more copper, more copper (usually) better antifouling characteristics. Also higher SG more expensive, because copper costs. However some of the costs are in the resins and the biocides - so don't try to be too clever and too exact.

Antifouling is really not difficult nor complicated - just go into any boatyard with professionals - and none of them are applying AF with much skill nor care (and sometimes not much intelligence). You could teach monkeys to apply AF - except animal rights NGOs would complain.

Don't try to save money on the paint, slipping your yacht, the rollers, the tape, your travel costs all add up and saving money on paint - you already have evidence it is false economy. Don't thin the paint, apply as is - and use it all. I'd suggest buy a little extra, rather than a little less and use the xtra, for an extra coat (if you bought that much! - or if its only a little extra, a further coat on the water line and leading edges (keel, bow, rudder(s). Do not ue copper based paint on aluminium (your sail drive). Do not paint over your anodes.

If it takes you 2 days - at the end of the first day - stick the roller in a polythene bag and roughly seal it - the roller will be ready to use the next morning. If you ue cheap masking tape (its a false economy) as if it gets damp it does not provide a crisp edge and when damp it peels off and leaves adhesive stuck to the hull - that is very difficult remove.

Personally I find applying AF - the whole process - quite satisfying. You start off with a grotty looking hull and 48 hours later it look s as goods a new and if you do it properly, invest in decent AF and, very important - use your yacht regularly - will last (roughly) 24 months. (I confess we invest in professional use only - which might be more difficult to access in the UK)

Jonathan

tillergirl

Visit site
That Flag stuff is really thin and not particularly good in the first place.

To make it work, you need at least 2 coats, probably 3.

Buy a better paint next time and put 2 coats on.

I am guessing you are talking about the 'Cruising'. With the Performance Extra one should allow 30 to 45 minutes for stirring. It is very thick.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I think 2 weeks max. I did 1 coat because I probably lost lot of paint on the thick roller. Will do 2 coats this year for sure.

No, I always have at least 3 feets above the keel. The water can be very murky though.
A small (4" ) roller and tray are better, both from the point of view of soakage in the roller, but also less weight to be held at arms length repeatedly. also, if you use a radiator roller frame, you can reach right in under the bottom of the hull without having to get right in there, particularly relevant for bilge-keel owners. A deep pile roller refill is best for getting the optimum coating thickness on.

pvb

Visit site
A small (4" ) roller and tray are better, both from the point of view of soakage in the roller, but also less weight to be held at arms length repeatedly. also, if you use a radiator roller frame, you can reach right in under the bottom of the hull without having to get right in there, particularly relevant for bilge-keel owners. A deep pile roller refill is best for getting the optimum coating thickness on.

People love to apply by roller because it spreads that very expensive antifoul much better. The end result is too thin a coating, so it doesn't work, and they grumble.

I always apply antifoul with a 4" brush, two generous coats, plus another around the waterline. It lasts 2 full years in the water (but my boat's in a marina so the water may already be full of toxins).

[185615]

Visit site
IIRC YM or PBO did I a patch test with several anti fouls in the noughties and one of them (at least) was chilli powder added.
Made no real difference apparently
To be honest, what did you expect them to report? The advertisers would not be best pleased, would they?
But lets assume they were honest in their findings, then take heed and follow their advice.
My personal use has shown to be effective.
That does NOT imply others should follow what I do, by the looks oh his hull he couldny possibly do worse could he?
You pays your money and you take your choice, its called freedom of choice, some here (not you) would like to restrict that.

pvb

Visit site
To be honest, what did you expect them to report? The advertisers would not be best pleased, would they?
But lets assume they were honest in their findings, then take heed and follow their advice.
My personal use has shown to be effective.
That does NOT imply others should follow what I do, by the looks oh his hull he couldny possibly do worse could he?
You pays your money and you take your choice, its called freedom of choice, some here (not you) would like to restrict that.

Do you really believe that manufacturers wouldn't add something as cheap as chilli powder if it actually had any positive effect?

[185615]

Visit site
Do you really believe that manufacturers wouldn't add something as cheap as chilli powder if it actually had any positive effect?
Answer:
YES. I do believe business wouldnt,add chilli powder regardless of its efficay, and make it known they do.
Reasons:
Business is quite rightly about making profits for shareholders, and much else, profits mean taxes that provides so much to society.
Basic business sense demands a product that is not only fit for purpose , but not easily duplicatable by any competitor.

The question is more rhetorical than practical. I make no claims other than my own experience, I could be fooling myself of course, will do a trial next time, port plain, starboard chilli.
I actually only made the post to amuse myself, having been attacked, by someone labelled like yourself as 'Well-known member' a soubriquet I am sure in your case is well deserved, as unknown to you I have been a benificiary from your past posts, for daring to hold such an opinion re chilli powder.

This is an edit, I have just been compared to a pig by the said 'Well-known member' is this possibly what he is well-known for?

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
YES. Business is quite rightly about making profits for shareholders, and much else, profits mean taxes that provides so much to society.
Basic business sense demands a product that is not only fit for purpose , but not easily duplicatable by any competitor.

The question is more rhetorical than practical. I make no claims other than my own experience, I could be fooling myself of course, will do a trial next time, port plain, starboard chilli.
I actually only made the post to amuse myself, having been attacked, by someone labelled like yourself as 'Well-known member' a soubriquet I am sure in your case is well deserved, as unknown to you I have been a benificiary from your past posts, for daring to hold such an opinion re chilli powder.

This is an edit, I have just been compared to a pig by the said 'Well-known member' is this possibly what he is well-known for?

You might need to edit that lot again, as I don't understand it.

Rappey

Visit site
will do a trial next time, port plain, starboard chilli.
Problem there may be one side faces the sun a lot more? A few stripes alternating on the same side will give better results?
Due to having lots of leftovers from most brands i painted my sailing boat one year in all different colours and brands around the whole hull..
Just under a year later i dried the boat out and the whole hull had a very even coating of growth ! So the cheapest did just as well, or just as bad as the most expensive.
Location is everything as what works for one area fails in another..