What I might did wrong with my antifauling?

slawosz

Visit site
Please see the photos. The boat launched in July, retrieved end of October. One layer of flag cruising, except keel, where I put 2 layers. Was my first AF job. I got the boat just antifauled in 2019, probably using flag and there was just a little bit of slime... And used this to paint: No Nonsense 9
Photos:

RJJ

Visit site
Hard to tell - so you're saying that's three months' growth? Does look like a lot, even without pressure wash.

A few guesses. I'm not an expert BTW but have done my own antifoul a couple of times.
- did you rub down the previous coat? Is there any risk the "new" antifoul didn't adhere to the old?
- was there a long delay between paint and launch? Most manufacturers seem to advise 3-4 weeks max.
- did you sail the boat much? If she's sitting in slack water for 3 months, you'd expect heavier fouling
- you say 1 coat. Most people seem to use 2 coats. how thinly did you spread it? There's much less fouling on the keel, where you say you put 2...maybe the hull portion just didn't have enough paint?

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Three months to get like that is absurdly poor. Having said that I would always use at least two coats all over and extra on high friction areas like the rudder. Was the paint genuine or did it come from some dodgy bloke down the pub?
I used Cruiser Uno for several years and put two or three coats on. It would work well for about six months and then it would start to grow a beard. This would easily erode off with use and I could get up to 18 months out of it if used regularly. Then I was offered a half used 20 litre tin of Hempel Olympic which you cant officially buy as a private customer but this was surplus from a local fishing boat. That was three years ago and it now needs redoing especially the rudder which has very little paint left on it. Jotun do something similar with the same restrictions if you can get it. Way to go.

Neeves

Visit site
Three months to get like that is absurdly poor. Having said that I would always use at least two coats all over and extra on high friction areas like the rudder. Was the paint genuine or did it come from some dodgy bloke down the pub?
I used Cruiser Uno for several years and put two or three coats on. It would work well for about six months and then it would start to grow a beard. This would easily erode off with use and I could get up to 18 months out of it if used regularly. Then I was offered a half used 20 litre tin of Hempel Olympic which you cant officially buy as a private customer but this was surplus from a local fishing boat. That was three years ago and it now needs redoing especially the rudder which has very little paint left on it. Jotun do something similar with the same restrictions if you can get it. Way to go.

Hempel Globic and Jotun Quantum Ultra - 2 excellent AF - professional use only. Globic is better than Olympic - both Globic and Quantum are expensive. Quantum was the AF of choice for Maersk (if its good enough for them, its good enough for me!(

Apply any AF liberally - don't try to eke it out (which is what most appear to do) - spread it thickly - its thickness that does the work not getting the colour coverage, If you spread it thinly it simply will not last long - and slipping is a large part of your AF costs. If you are having your AF done by a sub-contractor specifiy what AF you want used - and check they use it (appear unexpectedly and check the tins! - you are paying).

Jonathan

Daydream believer

Visit site
Do not know what you are worried about. There are a few on this forum who would tell us that they have used type "X"( with a few chillis thrown in for luck) for years & only had slight growth- just like that. They wonder what all the fuss is, claiming only a slight loss in speed. o_O

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I would concur with the advice above, that two coats are better than one, but would further comment that if you were going to vary the thickness of the coverage, it would be better to have put two coats on the hull and one on the keel, as the fouling organisms are more active closer to the surface, where there is more light.

Aeolus

Visit site
Difficult to be sure from the picture but is the keel clean because it's often in the mud and that has scoured any growth plus all the antifoul?

oldgit

Visit site
Difficult to be sure from the picture but is the keel clean because it's often in the mud and that has scoured any growth plus all the antifoul?
+1
My motorboat was on a drying mud berth. Virtually nothing ever managed to attach its self to hull that was actually buried in the mud.

Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
You may not have done anything wrong and just found out how rubbish some antifoulings can be..
If your boat drys out the keel usually gets a lot darker and the barnacles can grow like mad on the part of the hull that sits in the mud.

Pye_End

Visit site
Swing mooring ear Osea Island, Essex. Lot of mud, but tide is 1-1.5 knots spring.

Does that mean it is a half tide mooring?

If so, you may find a mud mooring gives poor results, either because the mud sticks to the hull, and then the growth sticks to the mud, or the abrasive action wears the soft antifouling off. Some say use a hard antifoul on a mud berth.

slawosz

Visit site
1 coat is inadequate. And how quickly after painting did you immerse the hull?
I think 2 weeks max. I did 1 coat because I probably lost lot of paint on the thick roller. Will do 2 coats this year for sure.

Does that mean it is a half tide mooring?

No, I always have at least 3 feets above the keel. The water can be very murky though.