What has happened to all the motorsailers?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
We have sailed our Nauticat now for sixteen years, since 2004, must have been 42 years of age at purchase by my reckoning. I couldn‘t give a monkey‘s stuff about whatever anyone thinks about me looking like an old git because I sail a Nauticat. I can’t believe anyone would seriously care, if they do then I fear for their character.

I don't care. I simply observe that most Nauticat owners seem to be even older than the average west of Scotland sailor. The same goes with knobs on for the boat I sail; I went to a owners' association dinner at the London Boat Show some years ago and reckoned that I was the youngest there by twenty years.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
I would not call the Salar 40 a pilot house yacht. It is a centre cockpit with a hard dodger and usually, a self-draining cockpit. A pilot house, to my understanding, is a completely enclosed, solid structure and integral to the boat.

The Amel is not a pilothouse in that sense.

Most decksalon/inside steering jobs, in my experience, do not usually offer good all-round vision. I do not know of a single decksalon that offers inside sailhandling. I have seen it, very occasionally, in a pilothouse model, usually the fully enclosed centre wheelhouse/ aftcabin type of motorsailer.

I would agree withTLouth7. What the OP is really looking for is a regular sailing hull with a hard dodger and canvas rear enclosure.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
I don't care. I simply observe that most Nauticat owners seem to be even older than the average west of Scotland sailor. The same goes with knobs on for the boat I sail; I went to a owners' association dinner at the London Boat Show some years ago and reckoned that I was the youngest there by twenty years.

In the late 80's early 90's I took part in the design and construction of a 50' lifting keel, twin engine and rudder cruising cutter with a centre cockpit.
It had a second inside steering station.

During the build you invariably end up with a whole bunch of looky-loos .
One of them objected rather strongly to the inside steering: "I might as well choose indoor table tennis as a sport," he said.

After sailing the boat to the Canadian West Coast from Central Europe, via the Med, Central & South America, the Panama Canal and Pacific Ocean, through storms and and tropical sun, biblical deluges and blistering temperatures, I am happy to confirm the man had assuredly no idea what he was talking about.
Trapped in a 9 to 5 it is easy to confuse liveaboard cruising with a fortnight vacation in the Med.

At the time my crew and I were among the youngest people we met cruising.

In retrospect, I would never own another boat, other than for daysailing, that didn't provide a solid roof over my head, with all-round visibility while steering and a place to watch the world go by even in the rain.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
May not at least part of the problem with providing sail controls from the sheltered wheelhouse be to do with RCD classifications? In order to allow access to sheets and halliards, presumably there are passages into the wheelhouse to bring them into the sheltered area. Wouldn't such access allow water to flood the wheelhouse in the event of a knockdown or breaking sea? I gather that many of the motor sailers such as the Fisher and older Nauticats would not be rated for ocean work because of the way the wheelhouse doors work; a deliberate entry into the wheelhouse for access to sheets etc. would presumably impact the RCD rating in the same way.

Of course, everyone knows that Fishers and Nauticats are very safe, seaworthy boats! But the RCD regulations weren't framed with that type of boat in mind.

Not sure about that.

Our Island Packet SP Cruiser requires me to go outside to attend to sail trim and furling.

Access to the rear cockpit is through a large rear door. It is normally left open, but in severe weather it is closed. That is where the Lewmar 40 power winch and sail controls are.

The model does have the option of the Lewmar 'Stowinch' system which allows sail control from inside.. About 20K installed I am advised.

Our boat does not have it.

But is RCD 'A' rated.

Regardless of that, it is the last serious boat we shall ever buy. Our passage average speed increased by 1.65 KTS over the previous aft cockpit yacht. We have 2K's plus worth of seaboots, oilies, hats, gloves etc in a locker.

Apart from two times mooring in the pissing rain, once at Glenarm, the other up the Yealm, mine have not been worn for 4 years.

And long may it continue..............................

Laminar Flow

Visit site
The issue with the RCD rating for the side door on Nauticats is due to the reduced down flood angle if a door should be left open. Pilothouses that have their door centre line on the back bulkhead do not have that immediate problem.

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Lots of interesting comments and observations - thanks everyone. The Island Packet SP is a model I’ve missed so I’ll take a closer look at that.

Meanwhile the suggestion of a modern centre cockpit sailing boat with retro-fitted hard dodger & canvas might well be the best bet. This is the most appealing option down this side of the world all be it a couple of feet longer than I’d like but a powerful sailing boat with the helm positioned under hard cover protection not further back in exposed cockpit:

7F67941B-0FC7-4B7B-99FB-33691B39345F.jpeg

Concerto

Visit site
I wish I had the spare cash for a Moody Eclipse 43 ....
My late parents had one. Lovely boat to be onboard. It had the internal helm, but we very rarely used it, prefering to be helming outside. The only time it came into its own was in fog and you could watch the radar for other boats and steer to the waypoints of the sat nav.

We had a generator fitted and I remember anchoring in the Solent away from the busy sailing routes and watched the Wimbledon mens singles final. The raised seating meant you had an almost 360 degree visibility round the boat.

The story behind buying it was slightly strange. They had gone to the dark side with a 38 powerboat, then one day I took them sailing on my boat. They then realised how much they missed sailing. They had liked the look of the Moody Eclipse 43 and went to view at Moody's in the Hamble. Unfortunately they quoted 12 months delivery. My father then contacted the Princess agent in Brighton as they also sold Moodys. They had an allocation of a 43 for delivery in 3½ months without a buyer. We still had the chance to choose all the necessary details. When Moody's contacted us to see if we were ready to order, they were furious that we had bought one from another agent.

rotrax

Visit site
Lots of interesting comments and observations - thanks everyone. The Island Packet SP is a model I’ve missed so I’ll take a closer look at that.

Meanwhile the suggestion of a modern centre cockpit sailing boat with retro-fitted hard dodger & canvas might well be the best bet. This is the most appealing option down this side of the world all be it a couple of feet longer than I’d like but a powerful sailing boat with the helm positioned under hard cover protection not further back in exposed cockpit:

View attachment 91182

Lovely looking boat. In boom furling?

The SP Cruiser has only two cabins and a Jack and Jill heads/shower.

Great for a couple with ocasional guests.

Might not do it for you. The sailing performance in all but ideal conditions is not good as it has a small rig.

Suits us perfectly though, but we know they are not for everyone.

rotrax

Visit site
A Salar 40 has been on my wish list for a long time. I suspect their present day build cost would not be commercially viable.

We looked at one in Gosport five years ago.

Nice boat, ticked plenty of boxes but was too old and a little tired for the money.

It would certainly have been a better vessel under sail only.

Stemar

Visit site
While I'm in general agreement that restoring a MAB is generally not viable, had I the money to do it, I'd buy a tired Salar in a heartbeat - classy, comfortable and they just look right. There's a Moody motor boat next to Force 4 at Bursledon that those words fit, too. She could definitely tempt me to the dark side, given the budget
332419_moody-lancer-42_photo_61_1569577502_img.jpg

Anyone want to buy a kidney?

rotrax

Visit site
VERY NICE ..... Stemar.

I must admit I have a liking for the old style Clyde Gentlemans Motor Yacht with flush deck and drop down to stern.

comben-and-hyland-40-ft-motor-yacht-57563070140949665466696654654557g.jpg

Something about them ...

Our steel Hartley 32 in Wellington is high topsides/no coachroof/flush decked like that, but with a bermudan rig.

Not pretty like some boats which are real lookers, but it lends itself to a very practical layout.

We like her anyway.