What engine

oldharry

Visit site
N
I brought the boat to build not to go straight out, I appreciate your experienced opinion and I have no doubt that it will be a uphill struggle. Its just a challenge that I want to complete
That's ok too. Some people buy boats as a project. Others buy boats to get afloat. And het otbers buy boats so they can prop up the YC bar,! Plus a whole range of other reasons! You bought one to work on. Great! Enjoy!

Seastoke

Visit site
I brought the boat to build not to go straight out, I appreciate your experienced opinion and I have no doubt that it will be a uphill struggle. Its just a challenge that I want to complete
When done it will be your boat you will know all about it ,

pvb

Visit site
Well that has just doused my fire, I knew it wouldn't be easy but it's a worth while project and I have all the time in the world to build it. But I appreciate your help and I'm certain it will be worth while.
Cheers

You're new to these forums; we get loads of newcomers who buy a "project boat" and are full of enthusiasm, but as the years go by they realise exactly what they've got themselves into, and the "project boat" gets put on eBay for another dreamer to buy. That probably sounds harsh, but it is what happens. You could invest several years of your time, plus an extraordinary amount of money, into that hull and you still won't have a boat which you could sell at anywhere near the money you've thrown at it. It literally is money down the drain. On the other hand, you could save yourself several years of toil, spend the same amount of money on a ready-to-go boat, have the enjoyment of using it immediately, and have something which you could re-sell without a staggering loss.

Rycotescolvic

Visit site
You're new to these forums; we get loads of newcomers who buy a "project boat" and are full of enthusiasm, but as the years go by they realise exactly what they've got themselves into, and the "project boat" gets put on eBay for another dreamer to buy. That probably sounds harsh, but it is what happens. You could invest several years of your time, plus an extraordinary amount of money, into that hull and you still won't have a boat which you could sell at anywhere near the money you've thrown at it. It literally is money down the drain. On the other hand, you could save yourself several years of toil, spend the same amount of money on a ready-to-go boat, have the enjoyment of using it immediately, and have something which you could re-sell without a staggering loss.
[/QUOTE

Of course we all have our opinions and you have yours. I will not be selling my boat on ebay. I will enjoy taking on this challenge and have a decent boat at the end of it. Cheers for all your positive thoughts.

pvb

Visit site
Of course we all have our opinions and you have yours. I will not be selling my boat on ebay. I will enjoy taking on this challenge and have a decent boat at the end of it. Cheers for all your positive thoughts.

Please be sure to keep us updated with your progress. Lots of photos are always helpful, together with approximate ongoing costings.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
A friend of mine with no sailing experience bought an Elizabethan 29 (which I advised him on the purchase) it needed a few things fixing but was generally sound. However, he then embarked on a complete rebuild with a view to sailing to USA. to meet his daughter. He removed useful items like the oven and second berth, replaced them with lots of electronic stuff, upgraded the engine, spent a fortune, had a heart attack resulting in the rebuild taking 6 years.
He's now living in the river Dart in a very cramped boat hasn't learned to sail but can't afford to move into a house. And is also too old and unfit to cross the Atlantic.
Don't make the same mistake. Spending years upgrading and growing old.

Skylark

Visit site
The last unfinished Colvic project posted on here ran to thousands of posts and turned into a bit of a fantasy troll. Needless to say, today it’s probably no closer to launch than it was the day the hull was released from its moulds.

I would never want to sour anyone’s dreams and if you’re training to become a shipwright it’s possibly a good project. However, if you have aspirations to sail it, you should have your eyes open to the magnitude of the work ahead.

Few people complete such projects but good luck with your endeavours. Welcome to the forum.

MarkCX

Visit site
I bought my little boat that was reasonably well-found at the outset. Since I’ve had her I’ve spent a small fortune (to me) getting it how I want it, and many hundreds of hours - probably more than I’ve spent sailing her. I will never get back a fraction of what I have spent, in the unlikely event that I were to sell it. However the amount of pleasure and satisfaction it has given me is immeasurable. Very few boats can be considered ‘investments’ in a truly economic sense.

Go for it and enjoy the experience.

Rycotescolvic

Visit site
I'm sorry for your friend but a bit of positive feedback would good. So far it's been quite a negative experience coming on this forum. I only came on here for some engine advise and I just got what a dreamer ebay enthusiast I'm going to be. I will build my boat and enjoy the result. Cheers

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I'm sorry for your friend but a bit of positive feedback would good. So far it's been quite a negative experience coming on this forum. I only came on here for some engine advise and I just got what a dreamer ebay enthusiast I'm going to be. I will build my boat and enjoy the result. Cheers
Sorry to pee on your hopes but we are speaking from lots of experience.

Plum

Visit site
Just to balance the books a bit, I fitted out a bare grp hull (albeit 40 years ago) and I learnt lots. It was a great experience. Took me 2.5 years and then used the boat for 15 years then sold it for more than it cost me. Spreading the cost over 2.5 years was the only way I could afford the boat. No regrets at all. Good luck.

PS. and I had to do all my research and learning without the internet!

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

Babylon

Visit site
I wish the OP the very best enjoyment in his project. (y)

Don't forget that Moitessier built his own forty-something foot steel yacht while rough-sleeping in a drain then sailed it around the world. (Something like that anyway!)

And as to boats being a money pit... they ALL are whatever you do with them!