What are you up to?

Saddletramp

Visit site
I had a pootle about in Chichester harbour on Sat. Only saw one other boat. Trying to keep my hand in over the winter as well as rewiring and trying to sort a leak in the cockpit which meant much pumping out after the recent rains.

So what are you up to? Escaping the outlaws over Christmas, Sailing on new years day, up to your eyes in glass fibre or engine bits.

I think we could all do with a bit of motivation at his time of year. So a pint for the most inspiring. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

helixkimara

Visit site
Your right about inspiration being needed at this time of year. Not for sailing but for the earning money bit. I can’t concentrate on my work for thinking about;
Do I buy roller reefing foresail or keep my good set of hanked on sails ?
Replace my chainplates ?
Do I go for a separate unit for AIS or have it linked into GPS screen?
Do I have to buy a new dingy ?
Chance just VHF or iridium phone or SSB or just Navtex?
Does my tan mainsail need a dirty big florescent spot stuck on it?
Do I spend the money on a “Sea Me” ?
Is it worth getting the best wet gear that I can’t afford?
How can I change my bunk to make it more comfortable?
Do I change the rigging to mast fittings?
Do I need a Faraday box or just a biscuit tin?
When should I put her in the water?

How can I concentrate on work when there’s all these GREAT things to think about?
Best wishes.

PacketRat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do I spend the money on a “Sea Me” ?

[/ QUOTE ]I've been wondering about this. But I've just been on the RYA site and read "Did you know that an Active Radar Target Enhancer (ARTE) is a transmitting device so it must be licensed in the same way as a VHF, EPIRB or Radar must be?"
Robin.

Noddy

Visit site
I've been organising a fibre glassing and carpentry Xmas party down at my boat.

Everyone is welcome! Bring your own tools (there will be somewhere to plug them in) and a selection of hardwoods / marine ply.

Free Soup!

helixkimara

Visit site
Thanks for that Robin. I didn't realise.

God ! you'll need a licence to change the bog roll next !

If I get one,(a "Sea Me") which I think I will, I'll add it to my licence when I get my EPIRB. Its easy and free on the "ofcom" web site.

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
Hi Mac

So you're still afloat - you lucky dog! I've just been out on the water in a RIB learning how to make a litre of fuel go as far as possible, and enjoying some crisp but sunny days with (almost) deserted water at Itchenor.

My problems?

Putting in a foreward bulkhead in temperatures where epoxy thinks you're having a laugh. (Bosch hot air gun soon persuades it to behave.)

Wondering why my concrete boat explodes as I run a blowtorch over it's chlorinated rubber bottom, and then discovering that the previous builder had added air-pockets into the cement. Hope no-one spots me burning off paint, and then trying the same thing on their Westerly Centaur.

Wondering about lifelines, and remembering we nearly killed a PBO staff member in a 4-knot experiment when he 'fell' overboard whilst hooked on. Jerk nearly broke his back. (No, the jerk on the rope, not the journo...) Wonder if some bungy-jump cord might be better. Will I be flicked back aboard - or just flicked?

Learning from the ARC where a yacht was abandoned after it's chain plates failed, and was later found dismasted. Secretly glad I don't actually have chainplates.

Continually reading about yachts that have been abandoned by their owners - with washboards open - and carrying on cruising without them. These yachts seem to survive quite happily, often turning up many hundreds of miles from where they were abandoned. One yotty even found one adrift (dismasted) just a few miles from the Canaries, but didn't board as he didn't think the engine would work. It did, and had a full tank of fuel. Doh. Could have cashed in there!

Knowing that the start time for the Jester Azores will come whilstling in like an Exocet next year, and looking forward to meeting some of my fellow Jesters at Rogers bash during ExCel.

Happy Christmas, and may Santa fill your stockings with quality gear.

Jake

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
Our plannign is very french overfeeding with great stuf and wine !
Perhaps a trip to check the boat at Roscoff.
The "sea me" or equivalent licencing question has been raised and asked to the french licensing bureau.
The respond was: "not required".
I suppose, as they are under international rules, that the GB (Gibies in the Shadock cartoons) should be in line with the Froogies.
Eric /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Saddletramp

Visit site
A mixed bag then. At least no one said 'I just have to give the hull light polish and thats me set' or words to that effect. So I guess we are all up against it one way or another.

Ricky - s If the helm had a cold but content look it was me. I will keep a look out for you. Out again on Sat hopefully.

Crikey Tomato - Thats a whole bunch of stuff I have considered yet. One glimmer of hope though. I have tan sails and when a friend was looking for me in the solent he said he could easily see me miles away. I could not see his white (ish) sails.

Jake - Last year I was fixing new engine beds in and glassing in January. I used a 150 w outdoor light, loads of light obviously and warmed the air enough for the glass to go off (sometimes too quickly)

Noddy has the right idea. Mind you last time SWMBO was in attendance I was swearing at the engine while she passed meaningless comments about the shapes of clouds and how was all so relaxing. Needles to say I have reverted to struggling on my own.

Don't know about all this see me stuff. Still struggling with re-wiring. If I ever get it sorted I while light up like a ruddy christmas tree, they'll see me alright.

Merry Christmas all. (I will l not mention the new year, as 2008 and the start will be with us soon enough).

ricky_s

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Ricky - s If the helm had a cold but content look it was me. I will keep a look out for you. Out again on Sat hopefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was hoping to go out but looks like heavy rain now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Saddletramp

Visit site
Having had a couple of nights out in a row the prospect of fri night on the boat was not looking very enticing but now the sun is out, the hangover is fading and the sea, well the harbour, is calling. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ricky_s

Visit site
Had the day off today so went out this after noon, have only just got home again. Didn't see any other boats at all today. Very cold, the marina was frozen! They had broken it up but it does sound horrible pushing your way through.

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Was hoping to go out but looks like heavy rain now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Its not very "staring death in the eye" is it?

This is the Jester Challenge Forum Chum!

We are all trying hard to be rufty tufty ocean sailors. Rain is not a reason not to go sailing.

You just can't say things like that on this forum.

Paul

helixkimara

Visit site
Are you saying that it MAY rain. repeat ROMEO ALFA INDIA NOVEMBER "RAIN" on the JAC08.
Please confirm.
Total rethink may be in order.
(Note to self. replace one bottle suntan cream with brolly) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Noddy

Visit site
I cannot garuntee that there will be no rain on the JC08. Nor should you believe anyone who says they know whether or not it will rain en route.

Neither am I able to say anything concrete about the temperature of the aforementioned potential rain.

This is the real thing Guys - we are facing the unknown! IT MIGHT RAIN!

Good Luck!

helixkimara

Visit site
Stop it ! WHAT, rain, cold and wind. Well at least we won't have waves.
(Note to self: Need a bigger boat. Revise weather system knowledge "Red sky at night shepherds delight, Red sky in morning sailers warning except after c when the sound is sea")

helixkimara

Visit site
Are you mad ? How would be able to sea the Azores from Plymouth if it got misty? We would'nt know which way to go!
Also I can't have damp on my mahogony coach roof.