What are you doing now that you can't go sailing?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site

Refueler

Visit site
Me ? Repairing old models that had 'mishaps' ... commonly termed Lawn Darting !!

Here's one of my models before the 'mishap' ... Soviet Mig 3 Air Racer. The wing shape and fuselage to wing ratio especially on the short moment arm to tail is a handful to fly ... she will drop a wing as quick as anything ..

After :

Nose smashed and splintered :

Start to reform nose .. first tack with CA (Superglue) into rough shape, then GRP matt and resin inside ... then car filler outside ..

To mount motor firewall - needs to have spinner and shaft in place to set proper distance ... tack plywood firewall in place with 5 min epoxy :

Once epoxy is set ... remove spinner base, motor and set firewall with GRP as final.

Wing starting to piece together ready for internal ribs ..

Initial ribs then will be doubled :

Once I have test flown her and confirmed all is ok - out will come the Dremel and finish of cosmetics ....

Last edited:

Visit site
I bought a new battery online last week from Eurocarparts for my partners Toyota, her car was just getting flaky with all her short trips as a care worker locally. I was amazed to find the old battery was the original - 14 years old !
You could start a new thread to see if anyone can better that - I can't get anywhere near even with more than 70 years of driving.

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
Me ? Repairing old models that had 'mishaps' ... commonly termed Lawn Darting !!

Here's one of my models before the 'mishap' ... Soviet Mig 3 Air Racer. The wing shape and fuselage to wing ratio especially on the short moment arm to tail is a handful to fly ... she will drop a wing as quick as anything ..

After :

Nose smashed and splintered :

Start to reform nose .. first tack with CA (Superglue) into rough shape, then GRP matt and resin inside ... then car filler outside ..

To mount motor firewall - needs to have spinner and shaft in place to set proper distance ... tack plywood firewall in place with 5 min epoxy :

Once epoxy is set ... remove spinner base, motor and set firewall with GRP as final.

Wing starting to piece together ready for internal ribs ..

Initial ribs then will be doubled :

Once I have test flown her and confirmed all is ok - out will come the Dremel and finish of cosmetics ....

Ouch .... but it happens to everyone.

I started on helicopters and decided to pack it in as it was going to cost too much in terms of psycholigical stress - I hate breaking things.

Mustang.JPG

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You could start a new thread to see if anyone can better that - I can't get anywhere near even with more than 70 years of driving.
A friend of mine at university was given his mother's Triumph Herald, which had the battery it came with in 1966 until 1986, when it (the battery) finally conked out.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I spent half the morning trying to find the diagnostic socket in my wife's Polo ...
Did you try taking the ashtray out and sliding off the closing panel next to it. That's where they hid it on my Golf. I bought a code reader for it which had the most unfortunate name of any piece of equipment I have ever own ... "VAGScanner". KY jelly not included.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Unfortunately I work from home, except for trips to HQ for meetings, so the lockdown is actually increasing my productive time. My main activity is therefore writing an undergraduate course in fluid dynamics. However, I shall also be getting my Hunter 490 ready for use as soon as the restrictions lift enough. Mainly she needs a good clean, but the keel lift mechanism got damaged last time she came out of the water so I am taking the opportunity to beef it up substantially.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Having got hold of a sewing machine to repair canvas on the boar I have started to use if for traditional dressmaking. So far I have made (pre-lock down) three dresses for my partner, one for each of her two nieces and one for her sister. I have also made myself a festival suit (Glasonbury was supposed to be its first outing).

So now I am planning shorts and trousers for when I can leave the house and get back to the cruising. Plus I watch the AIS movements of shipping around the Bristol Channel.

Refueler

Visit site
Ouch .... but it happens to everyone.

I started on helicopters and decided to pack it in as it was going to cost too much in terms of psycholigical stress - I hate breaking things.

View attachment 87344

Gunfighter P51 ...

Helicopters ........ I have 2x full 3D 450's, couple of indoor fixed pitch jobs (and a Hughes 500 basic job that refuses to fly !).
I too have stopped flying Heli's .. I spent more time repairing / replacing parts than flying ...

johnalison

Visit site
Did you try taking the ashtray out and sliding off the closing panel next to it. That's where they hid it on my Golf. I bought a code reader for it which had the most unfortunate name of any piece of equipment I have ever own ... "VAGScanner". KY jelly not included.
No. I don't know if it even has an ashtray. Her previous Polo, which was written off by a friendly neighbourhood Porsche driver, had the socket near the driver's knees. On the replacement car there is only a plastic box there which doesn't seem to open, though the manual says that on some models there is a socket there with a lid. I'll top up the battery occasionally with a smart charger.

Quandary

Visit site
Bit of gardening but I am really starting to get on my wifes nerves, got a real rollicking last night for failing to switch on the light on the landing. I had deliberately avoided stealing any of her domestic roles and am getting no thanks for staying out of it. No legal escape route available, I might be forced to think about washing the cars, I have some logs to split for firewood but saving that for the next moment of tension. Boat is still in the yard about 100 yards from our front windows.

RupertW

Visit site
I made a dozen face guards and dropped them off at the local hospital.

Brilliant - we have volunteers in making them on an office table as production line. They made well over a hundred yesterday until they ran out of materials.

For those who don’t know, each hospital is inventing their own recipe as the national supply was quickly nil. Our method is
Ingredients:
A4 acetate (thank you local stationers)
Staples (“”)
Knicker elastic ( thank you local fabric company )
Spray glue (thank you local trades supply centre)
21cm flexible foam strips for the foreheads ( thanks local packing company for cutting 400 of them so they we could assemble quickly

Method:
Staple knicker elastic on both sides about a third of a way down the long side with length enough to fit a head
Glue foam strip to top

That’s it and doesn’t have to be specially sterile and clinicians throw away before going on a rest break or when they leave an infected area for a non-infected one

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
Bit of gardening but I am really starting to get on my wifes nerves, got a real rollicking last night for failing to switch on the light on the landing. I had deliberately avoided stealing any of her domestic roles and am getting no thanks for staying out of it. No legal escape route available, I might be forced to think about washing the cars, I have some logs to split for firewood but saving that for the next moment of tension. Boat is still in the yard about 100 yards from our front windows.

Hopefully it won't come to this .....

1585665033941.png

Denek

Visit site
UK : UAS over 250gr requires registration and an online simple examination to fly. Cost is about 9 quid ... or do it via BMFA - which is recc'd as then you have a) Insurance and also b) recognised Community Organisation recognised by CAA as a responsible body.

Drone and model aircraft registration | UK Civil Aviation Authority
Agreed but no license required .....yet. I dont have a drone myself. Would like one but can’t warrant spending the sort of cash to get a decent one when I need so many things for the boat that are more important.

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
Agreed but no license required .....yet. I dont have a drone myself. Would like one but can’t warrant spending the sort of cash to get a decent one when I need so many things for the boat that are more important.

The DJI Mavic Mini seems to be a bit of a game changer ..... it seems to deliver in spades with an excellent price/performance trade-off.

Drawback for sailors is its susceptibility to wind, and for "social media" junkies perhaps lack of colision avoidance and person tracking (which kind of need to go hand-in-hand).

The other gripe with it was that the colour balance couldn't be set manually, but they just fixed that in the last firmware update.

Mine will hopefully arrive in the next few days.

V1701

Visit site
Got esail simulator loaded and started sailing, felt slightly seasick bobbing on the waves so motion is good. Good fun and exercises the brain getting the crew to carry out all the actions. Managed to raise and then accidentally drop the main as forgot to close the jammer. Most of the tutorials done now. Well worth the £20. Works on my 12 year old desktop, where that online Regatta app won't.

That's a good one I might have to get that, I was going to be sailing to Portugal this year, maybe I can do it virtually...:)