What are you doing now that you can't go sailing?

sail sail

Visit site
I have more time on my hands than I have ever had and I can't even get to my boat. Arghhh. What is everyone doing to fill the gap?

Daydream believer

Visit site
First job is to make a set of gimbals for a Sestral grid compass which I obtained SH from a chandler. It was originally from a motorboat, so was fitted into a flat base.
I already have one which, was a 21st birthday present 52 years ago & has guided with me everywhere. Far better than any electric one. A newer version would be nice.
To do it I have to make a set of small rollers to make the ring. So it is a bit more complicated than normal

Star-Lord

Visit site
Unfurled the sails today and in staysail found a small wasps nest! LOL imagine if I had unfurled at sea in a blow and all these wasps had started attacking!!

tillergirl

Visit site
I had a locker door in the shed and I made a new shelf for the locker. So I 'over-poshed' the shelf with an internal fiddle out of oak which was left over. Now two coats of primer, front and back on both locker door and shelf, two coats of undercoat, two coats of gloss and two coats of vanish (sic) on the oak fiddle. Did I over egg the job? Not sure if I did it ok, I had run out of 400 grit.

I need to strip down the Outboard but I left the tools on the boat.

I have a grid compass that needs to be refurb'ed but I left it on the boat.

And then to the garden. Crisis. the Council allow 4 bags for garden rubbish every fortnight. That stopped for the while so I now have 8 bags of garden rubbish stored up in two weeks of work. I have run out of rose fertiliser and Rose anti-bug stuff (and we had an attack of aphids last week in the warm weather!), I have run out of path weedkiller but I have 80kgs of moss digester ready which is desperately needed. But the digester needs 10 degrees minimum - and there ain't no 10 degrees at the moment. There are quite a few plant trellis that need to be replaced but I left the electric drill on the boat. And the patio needs to be pointed but I have no cement. So I am grinding to a halt.

But in the loft is a electric train set which has been stored in the loft for 40 years. So a little lubrication will be required... but I left the 3 in 1 oil on the boat. Do you reckon the controller will work?

johnalison

Visit site
I spent half the morning trying to find the diagnostic socket in my wife's Polo, then gave up and plugged the solar panel into my car instead. Its battery is about six years old and will need a bit of help to get through our isolation.

neilf39

www.konsortkoto.wordpress.com
Got esail simulator loaded and started sailing, felt slightly seasick bobbing on the waves so motion is good. Good fun and exercises the brain getting the crew to carry out all the actions. Managed to raise and then accidentally drop the main as forgot to close the jammer. Most of the tutorials done now. Well worth the £20. Works on my 12 year old desktop, where that online Regatta app won't.

Refueler

Visit site
You don’t need a license for a drone as long as it’s not for commercial use. No need to register either. Not yet anyway. i think it would be prudent to get insurance though

UK : UAS over 250gr requires registration and an online simple examination to fly. Cost is about 9 quid ... or do it via BMFA - which is recc'd as then you have a) Insurance and also b) recognised Community Organisation recognised by CAA as a responsible body.

Drone and model aircraft registration | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Lightwave395

Visit site
I spent half the morning trying to find the diagnostic socket in my wife's Polo, then gave up and plugged the solar panel into my car instead. Its battery is about six years old and will need a bit of help to get through our isolation.

I bought a new battery online last week from Eurocarparts for my partners Toyota, her car was just getting flaky with all her short trips as a care worker locally. I was amazed to find the old battery was the original - 14 years old !