What are all you Brit "Liveaboards doing at the moment with BREXIT looming"

nortada

Visit site
At the moment, does any State except Spain require the boat to be matriculated when taking out residence? Portugal don't bother - so far.

Not that Graham suggesting it but post Brexit, why would any country require Brits with dual residency to re-register their boats?

For many years, like many other nationalities, Brits with dual residency have kept their SSR registered boats in the host countries with no such suggestion to re-register (or as it is popularly known - re-flag). Post Brexit, I anticipate Brits will be treated like any other non-EU nationals.

I could be totally WRONG but I think there is a real risk of making far too many negative assumptions where Brexit is concerned and so 'frightening the horses'.

Understandably, until covid came along, Brexit filled the horizon for many Brits but not many other nationalities. For them post Brexit life will continue as normal and they will not look to make waves where none already exist.

Outside of Spain, I think matriculation is unlikely to be introduced for just British flagged vessels.

duncan_m

Visit site
They will be lucky and by being in UK waters on b-day will get UK vat status as well..... we get it and so can they. It's a function of the VAT laws we have which are the same except they got tweakef, specifying UK customs territories and vice versa.

Reassuring. Do you have a source? We reflagged to NL last year. I'll be honest it wasn't quick or easy, 9 mths later we've only just managed to get a Dutch MMSI, but my partner is Dutch which made it a little easier. You don't actually need to take the boat to NL, they'll come to you. We did, sat in Rotterdam where the main office is for 8 weeks...

In terms of plans from the original question:
  • We're planning to leave this autumn or next spring subject to work;
  • 90 days will be very annoying especially in the South Pacific but we'll just make sure we don't stay anywhere more than 90 days. For wintering we (I) will have to apply for whatever extended tourist visa is on the menu;
  • Re covid we were thinking about staying in/around Europe until things settle a little, might either do a Baltic tour or a trip up the west coast of Scotland;

sails_02

Visit site
Somewhat related. Where is the opportunity for a UK buyer with this fiasco?

(A) Bad buys
  • UK boat in EU: one needs to get it out of EU (or pay EU vat)
(B) Good buys
  • EU boat in UK: will get UK vat status
Or is the opportunity with (A), to negotiate a boat down due to the VAT complications.

As with most market dislocations, there are often clear winners and losers after the fact.

planning to leave this autumn or next spring

Epic news

greeny

Visit site

(A) Bad buys
(B) Good buys
Or is the opportunity with (A), to negotiate a boat down due to the VAT complications.

As with most market dislocations, there are often clear winners and losers after the fact.

Epic news

Wow, the sharks are circling already. :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Chris_Robb

Visit site

(A) Bad buys
(B) Good buys

Epic news
You have not read and understood some of the posts above. Read again, and come back here and answer your own questions!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Correct here
(A) Bad buys
By being in EU27 on B-day you ensure you have both EU and UK Vat - so being in europe means the boat is more valuable
(B) Good buys
If the rules are consistent, the EU boat (EU VAT PAID - ie France) will get UK Vat status, but it will still retain EU27 VAT - by reference to the RGR change. Though this has not been asked about specifically of the EU Commission - we only asked about our own situations - and I dont intend to ask!

Remember VAT is about the Goods status in a customs territory, and nothing to do with nationality.

Last edited:

Garold

Visit site
If your discuss in not Vat paid or you don't preserve your EU VAT status by being in the EU on 31st December 2020, then you will have a problem in relation to residency in any EU country. Owners with Non Vat paid yachts, can Temporarily Import the yachts for 18 months at a time, but if you have residency you will either have to pay the vat or be given 30 days to leave EU Customs Territory waters.

This may well be a real pitfall when a new generation of yachtsmen take their UK Vat paid yachts abroad, not realising residency will cause a problem. In Greece over six months is regarded as residency, and also if one owner is a EU citizen they may well look at the passport and ignore the fact the law is based around residency! The trouble is it has a different interpretation in every port!

Sorry Chris but I thought that the significant Brexit date for boat vat status was 31Dec 2019. By this I mean that I thought that the location of an EU vat paid boat on this date was the determinant of its future vat paid status. I understood that this was the significant date because this was our last day of EU full membership.

I thought that 31 Dec 2020 was just the last day of the transition period and had no impact. Since this date is in the future and Brexit arrangements are still under negotiation, I understand that this date may be moved.

Have things changed or have I misunderstoo?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Not that Graham suggesting it but post Brexit, why would any country require Brits with dual residency to re-register their boats?

For many years, like many other nationalities, Brits with dual residency have kept their SSR registered boats in the host countries with no such suggestion to re-register (or as it is popularly known - re-flag). Post Brexit, I anticipate Brits will be treated like any other non-EU nationals.

I could be totally WRONG but I think there is a real risk of making far too many negative assumptions where Brexit is concerned and so 'frightening the horses'.

Understandably, until covid came along, Brexit filled the horizon for many Brits but not many other nationalities. For them post Brexit life will continue as normal and they will not look to make waves where none already exist.

Outside of Spain, I think matriculation is unlikely to be introduced for just British flagged vessels.

Many of us have used our rights as EU citizens and taken up residence elsewhere. Most have done it recently so have the 5 year handed out by local authorities but when that ends, will have to deal with immigration departments as third country citizens. Even my permanent residence card here states I'm an EU citizen and that's renewable every 10 years.

Like you, I hope nothing changes for those of us already here but, who knows what the future holds?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I thought that 31 Dec 2020 was just the last day of the transition period and had no impact. Since this date is in the future and Brexit arrangements are still under negotiation, I understand that this date may be moved.

My understanding is that 31/12/2020 is crunch date unless the gov have a change of heart and ask for an extension which I think is highly unlikely. Until then, current EU membership rules/laws apply.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Sorry Chris but I thought that the significant Brexit date for boat vat status was 31Dec 2019. By this I mean that I thought that the location of an EU vat paid boat on this date was the determinant of its future vat paid status. I understood that this was the significant date because this was our last day of EU full membership.

Garold - we actually left the EU on the 31st January 2020. The transition period to 31th December followed that in which nothing actually changed. The transition period could be extended at any time up to the 31st July, but the Government has indicated that it will not extend.

So the important date to consider is the 31st December 2020.

Garold

Visit site
Garold - we actually left the EU on the 31st January 2020. The transition period to 31th December followed that in which nothing actually changed. The transition period could be extended at any time up to the 31st July, but the Government has indicated that it will not extend.

So the important date to consider is the 31st December 2020.

Thank you