Weymouth marina

DrumBeat

Visit site
Hello all!
After completing Day skipper in the crystal clear waters of the Jurassic coast, I’ve decided that the brown and vastly tidal Bristol Channel was not for me.
So our boat is now laying in Weymouth marina ready for (hopefully) a year of stress free south coast cruising!

just wondering if anyone else on here currently berth in Weymouth or Portland?

have your crossed Lyme bay or Ventured east to the IOW?

I know about tackling the Portland tidal race but I am yet to experience it!

just wondered if anyone could share any advice for passage either way but west is my priority. I want to do a long weekend across to brixham and Dartmouth soon.

hopefully even see some of you on the water!

Montemar

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk
We are currently in Weymouth marina.
We like it a lot though you have to get round St Albans Head or Portland Bill to get anywhere outside of Weymouth Bay.
Both these places need respect because of races. Also beware of the firing range exclusion zone Lulworth Range.jpg Lulworth firing times gives the times for firing.
Ignore it and the range patrol boat will ask you to clear orf!

Montemar

Unfortunately no. I wandered round and found your boat but you weren't there.
Later this season would be very good. We live not far away so come and go to the boat rather than stay on it so if you are staying in Weymouth please send me a PM and we can resolve the beer problem.

Montemar

Hello all!
After completing Day skipper in the crystal clear waters of the Jurassic coast, I’ve decided that the brown and vastly tidal Bristol Channel was not for me.
So our boat is now laying in Weymouth marina ready for (hopefully) a year of stress free south coast cruising!

just wondering if anyone else on here currently berth in Weymouth or Portland?

have your crossed Lyme bay or Ventured east to the IOW?

I know about tackling the Portland tidal race but I am yet to experience it!

just wondered if anyone could share any advice for passage either way but west is my priority. I want to do a long weekend across to brixham and Dartmouth soon.

hopefully even see some of you on the water!
PM me and we could meet up for a beer

PDF

Visit site
Hoping to go from Poole to Portland/Weymouth this summer to stay for a few nights, going west we've been as far as Chapmans pool. If I we do it I'll pm you for a beer also.

DrumBeat

Visit site
Are you in the council marina, or Boatfolk?
A good resource for this area is here
Sailing with Monty Mariner

His username on the forum is @LadyInBed

Thanks for the advice!
I have been studying charts and looking at tidal streams for Portland, from what I can see, it looks as though the best time to make passage west past Portland bill is at Portland HW +4?
it’s confusing because I would’ve thought HW would be the best time but the tidal streams appear to have a mind off their own ?

We are on boatfolk marina right by the entrance gate!

Would be good to do a lulworth cove day as soon as the sun starts feeling warm again!

PMJD

Visit site
If there is no firing and relatively calm conditions you can go inside St Albans head very close to the shore. The same is true for Portland Bill. If there is firing, then head south of st Albans head which also has the benefit of keeping you clear of the overfalls. If the weather is nasty at Portland Bill you are probably not crossing Lyme Bay anyway in a motor vessel. Timing of Portland Bill in both directions is well described in the various almanacs. Follow the advice and you will be fine.