wevver.

tome

www.google.co.uk
Blimey Nick, don't you know better than to trust weather forecasts 4 days ahead yet?

We'll review from Wed evening and thoughout Thursday

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Who said anything about trusting it??

There is no harm in looking at the forecast as it evolves during the week to spot trends, rates of change etc., and making provisional plans.

Like you, I will look at it in more detail on Thursday morning and make a decision early afternoon.

BTW, you are getting predictable - I knew you would respond along these lines, just wasn't sure when /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looking forward to a great weekend.
Nick

tome

www.google.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, you are getting predictable - I knew you would respond along these lines, just wasn't sure when

[/ QUOTE ]

I just so knew you were going to say that!

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Roger,

based on grib.us - in which I have gained a lot of trust, having crossed Biscay based on its information - I dont see a problem getting from St Vaast to Cherbourg on Saturday.

The decision for us is still a Thursday night crossing to St Vaast or Friday daytime direct to Cherbourg. This wont be made until Thursday lunchtime, just before I leave home.

We may well spend the night on the LTSC pontoon on Thursday and aim to clear the Needles 0700ish.

Sailfree

Visit site
Never sail to a timetable but we are booked into Fuscias for 20.00!!

Please keep me updated with your latest info/opinion.

I am concious that as the only qualified person on Janes Buoy I will be making the decision for the other 7 of which one young girl has only sailed dinghys so I want to choose the best weather as i would hate to be responsible for putting her off for life. If Friday a lot better I would delay and go straight to Cherbourg.

Need to get to Cherbourg early on Saturday though to get enough beer in for visitors!!

dom

Visit site
I have looked at XC Weather and made my passage plan including sails to be used.

Gentle broad reach over Sat in winds between 7 and 9 mph and sunny skies.

Departing Chbg on Sunday 8:00 am wind will be north 5mph. Once we have had a few croissants and a cup of coffee - sea will be smooth am - the wind will back southwest and increase to 13mph so we will raise the asymmetric and have a gentle sail back.

Looks good to me!

BobE

Visit site
Please kind Sir...What's the latest Grib thing say?
"Weather on line" states (for Wight)

Thurs/Fri overnight SW 3 to 4

Which sounds good if there's not toooo much south in it..
Cheers Bob E....

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Bob, if you have time in your hectic schedule, go to www.grib.us - download their grib reader - then you will find you are able to choose any area in the world from a simple gooey screen. You can choose the date range, interval, content etc

I cant do it just now as I am away from base, but will do so later and send you a copy of the pictures if you wish.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
grib.us downloaded this evening shows winds generally SW, occ WSW F5 ish during Thursday night. Friday it tends to back a bit, and ease to S F3 on Friday afternoon.

So Thursday night gives the better angle but might be a bit lumpy, with wind against tide.

We will make a decision when crew get together during Thursday afternoon.

Honfleur anybody ?? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fireball

Visit site
Ah ... ok .... I feel we're going to be a little frilly around the edges /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ... the scrub I gave her 2 weeks ago has resulted in increased weed growth around the waterline .. hopefully the French won't measure the boat otherwise I'll be going up 2 bands for mooring fees! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BobE

Visit site
Thanks Nick.... Done it and it looks a good program..
I'll just have to play with it and get used to it..
Midnight Thurs/Fri looks reasonable but I'll look again in the morning..
Cheers and ta again see you there Bob E..