Westaway Sails poor customer service

Terra-Loon

Visit site
I ordered a cockpit tent from them in May, I still haven't received it although it was promised in mid June.

They have repeatedly ignored my phone calls and emails and have left me totally dissatisfied with their customer service.

I advise caution with regard to dealing with this company.

RIBW

Visit site
.....They have repeatedly ignored my phone calls and emails and have left me totally dissatisfied with their customer service.
I advise caution with regard to dealing with this company.

Interesting. last month, I needed a new UV strip on a Westaway original sail. I phoned and explained that I could drop it off on a Wednesday but that I needed it by the following Monday. They agreed to the timescale. I dropped the sail off as agreed and without further communication picked up the completed job on the Monday lunchtime.
I had read previous posts recording concerns about Westaway, so when asked for full payment in advance, I declined and we settled for 50% up front. I am a happy customer.

So, why the difference in experience?
The possibilities include:-
Repair/renovation vs. New item
Personal delivery/collection and presence of warm body in their reception.
Boat visits: My new sprayhood required two boat visits (supplier was within 1 mile of boat); Ivybridge is a 'trip' to anywhere with water. Does your cover require visits? My sprayhood supplier was adamant he would need to visit.

I'm intrigued to know why experiences seem so variable.
Cheers
Bob

Terra-Loon

Visit site
Interesting. last month, I needed a new UV strip on a Westaway original sail. I phoned and explained that I could drop it off on a Wednesday but that I needed it by the following Monday. They agreed to the timescale. I dropped the sail off as agreed and without further communication picked up the completed job on the Monday lunchtime.
I had read previous posts recording concerns about Westaway, so when asked for full payment in advance, I declined and we settled for 50% up front. I am a happy customer.

So, why the difference in experience?
The possibilities include:-
Repair/renovation vs. New item
Personal delivery/collection and presence of warm body in their reception.
Boat visits: My new sprayhood required two boat visits (supplier was within 1 mile of boat); Ivybridge is a 'trip' to anywhere with water. Does your cover require visits? My sprayhood supplier was adamant he would need to visit.

I'm intrigued to know why experiences seem so variable.
Cheers
Bob

My experiences with Westaway had previously been ok. I've had a used genoa, a new staypack and a new wheel cover off them in the past as well as yearly sail servicing. The sailpack had a small rip in it on delivery and they failed to launder my sails once but they got it all fixed and done in the end.

I'd had a good relationship previously with Kate Pollard. I just wish she had been as enthusiastic about letting me know as to the progress of my order as she was about taking my payment. It's clear that after more than two months since paying for the goods they haven't started making them.

richardh10

Visit site
When I wanted a new mainsail a couple of years ago I contacted them with details for a quote, as they were local to where the boat was. Never heard a word back in reply. Strange way to do business.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
That's probably not untypical for stuff ordered from any sailmaker in May. A few years ago I ordered a stack pack from a local sailmaker in around april, promised delivery early June, got it at the end of July. That was one of several similar incidents that lost him my business.

Westaway do have a bad reputation for this. I am also surprised people are paying (any sailmaker) in advance for things as small as a UV strip. It's not one thing I've ever been asked to do even when ordering a whole new suit of sails. There is loads of choice in the sail loft market particularly so no need to go down those sorts of roads imho.

Terra-Loon

Visit site
I have now reached an amicable resolution with Westaway.

To be fair, Westaway were horrified that I was so upset by this dispute and have gone out of there way to apologise and offer ways to make up for my disappointment.

So, all's well that ends well and no hard feelings harboured. I will be doing business with them in future and hope that we can remain friends.

I did ask that this thread be taken down but as it hasn't been found to be in breach of the forum's Terms & Conditions of Use that request was denied.

Sneaky Pete

Visit site
This story reminds me of a similar experience I had with Nicolson Hughes Sails. Promises promises but can’t deliver on them. Clearly business is so good that they can mess customers around all it gets is bad publicity for the service provider which is great name and same hopefully they can learn from their experiences. My experience of this was full refund and go elsewhere.

Yangosat

Visit site
Glad to hear you had a good settlement Gobes,
Unfortunately I am into 3rd week of non delivery and failed promises, only to be told today that they were just being worked on and will be delivered end of next week.
As this is for recommissioning an aged sadler32 thats been a project, having sails on her so I can get in the water would be nice!!!!!! Oh, but i cant, as they are with YES exchange..
I have advised that cedit card drawback of funds will be initiated next friday if not delivered to Greece. My initial hought was to get some old friends from working on doors of clubs in the area, to go and pick up the sails for me. The personal touch always tends to work.
Meantime, i shall go back to trying to get a local engineer to put the final touches t getting the engine back together from the component parts the 1st engineer left it in.
Will let you all know if any sevicable sails turn up!
Cheers
Ewan

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I ordered a genoa from them in late January and was promised delivery in 5 weeks by John Pollard .i.e early March. I made it clear I needed sail before I launched on 25th March and there seemed time in hand. When I finally got twitchy on 15th March and rang up they said they would start work on 27th March. I protested and they kept promising it soon, even giving dates, but only just managed to deliver it in late April the day before we set for Brittany via Padstow. Rather nervous making trying out a new sail while already on the longest passage we had attempted, and it wasn't much fun fitting the sail in a gusting F5/6 on the moorings. so lots of unnecessary grief.

The sail it has to be said is very good and worth the money. My advice is don't pay in full and deal with Kate not John and don't buy without checking progress on a weekly basis.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The sail it has to be said is very good and worth the money. My advice is don't pay in full and deal with Kate not John and don't buy without checking progress on a weekly basis.

I bought a new sail from a Scottish sailmaker this year. I was asked to pay a deposit when I ordered. The sail was delivered exactly when I expected it and after it came I was sent an invoice for the balance, which I paid. Why go to a sailmaker who need constant prodding to deliver an acceptable service?

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
No sail maker or boat builder is entirely reliable as to time. In engine and hull repairs I have often had the work completed 3 months later than expected. Reading Arthur Ransoms and Allard Coles sailing accounts from a century ago it was just as bad then. The only way to manage is to keep on at them and make sure you order in time and get everything in writing. I was told by my boss that delivering late will be forgotten eventually but failed products won't and I guess good sailmakers take that line too

pvb

Visit site
No sail maker or boat builder is entirely reliable as to time. In engine and hull repairs I have often had the work completed 3 months later than expected. Reading Arthur Ransoms and Allard Coles sailing accounts from a century ago it was just as bad then. The only way to manage is to keep on at them and make sure you order in time and get everything in writing. I was told by my boss that delivering late will be forgotten eventually but failed products won't and I guess good sailmakers take that line too

So it's OK to expect century-old business practices in 2017? Anyone who can't sensibly estimate how long work is going to take, and give appropriate delivery dates to customers, doesn't deserve to stay in business.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com

Had these sorts of problems with our local sailmaker over a canvas order long ago. When we wanted a new suite of sails we didn't consider him and went to Sanders. The latter have always been impeccable- in fact they deliver top quality not only on time but usually ahead of time.

You certainly do not have to put up with carp service from a sailmaker.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Clearly you dont work in engineering. No major project has ever finished on time though many have pretended to i.e. ceremonial opening and launchings with warships missing guns, bridges still unpainted and motorways closing next day for "snagging". You can estimate all you like but as in house buying you are in a chain and lack of parts or staff sickness can always knock you back. But with most small firms polite nagging helps progress and I forgot the advice I gave to my son on building projects.

Tranona

Visit site
Clearly you dont work in engineering. No major project has ever finished on time though many have pretended to i.e. ceremonial opening and launchings with warships missing guns, bridges still unpainted and motorways closing next day for "snagging". You can estimate all you like but as in house buying you are in a chain and lack of parts or staff sickness can always knock you back. But with most small firms polite nagging helps progress and I forgot the advice I gave to my son on building projects.

A very jaundiced view. Public sector projects and defence are different because there is no customer paying with his own money and the ability to take its custom elsewhere. They are specified and run by people who have a vested interest in taking as long as possible to complete the job.

Very different in the consumer world where there is competition - sailmaking is a prime example - and customers will not tolerate lousy service. The only suppliers who can get away with lousy service are those with a monopoly or some control over process. For example once a boatyard starts work on your boat it is difficult to take it elsewhere. Perfect conditions to hold the customer to ransom and string the job out. In the long run, though customers learn and take their business elsewhere.

pvb

Visit site
My last experience with a sailmaker was in 2013, and was with One Sails. They gave me a written quotation for a new genoa and mainsail repairs on 11 September. I gave them the go-ahead on 26 October, and they immediately emailed an order acknowledgement, with full spec, and a promised completion date of "early December". I paid the deposit on 29 October, and got an email on 2 December telling me the sails were ready for collection, or they could deliver them. Ready on time, good quality, no chasing. That's how real sailmakers operate.

Sandy

Visit site
You must be in a very different engineering sector to mine, on time and budget is what my department is about. I usually find it is the customer, private or public sector that faff about - oh I also charge for faffing, they very, very quickly get the message and get on with their tasks. My suppliers know the score on time at the price and quality level specified and we are all happy.