West Country this Summer?

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
Probably like many, we're torn about what to do with our cruising this summer - probably July.

If we assume overnight restrictions will be lifted as planned on 4 July, do we think the usual south-west England haunts will, from a marine point of view:

a) be horribly busy (people who'd otherwise sail elsewhere may stay in the UK; this will be the first opportunity to get away for many in a short season; lots of pent up demand);

b) be nice and quiet (people may not have bothered relaunching at all in some cases; they won't be ready to go just yet; people may wait until later in the year)

c) be about normal as a result of the above balancing out?!

Thoughts appreciated!

coveman

Visit site
Probably (b) or (c) - some sailing clubs including mine have written off this year so boats have not been launched and with many boat owners in the at risk category ( ie the elder generation) they may stay at home.

Carib

Well, it would be good to feel at least not actively unwelcome..! I agree about the Scillies; also the Channel Islands look fairly firmly shut. France is technically possible even now. There's a 'voluntary' quarantine for English visitors but I expect those quarantine rules will go at the start of July. In practice I suspect we could turn up in Brittany today and have no issues - but would we be welcome there? All rather uncertain..

lw395

Visit site
It's not clear what facilities will be open.
Showers etc.
Pubs?

It's possible lockdown will tighten again at short notice, so a plan to be self sufficient and get home in one leg might be in order.

As foreign holidays have been canned, I expect if things go well, the coast will be hideously busy on shore, with pubs and eateries unable to provide.
Our local pub is rumoured to be planning very limited opening, because it's not really profitable to operate with social distance of even 1m.

Whether the locals welcome you might be hard to tell. They will probably be mostly making themselves scarce and you'll only see the hordes of grockles.

Tintin

Visit site
My take on it is that the people of Devon and Cornwall have shown themselves to be anti visitors and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Do you want to spend money with miserable gits who don't want you there?
Not sure I will go West this season.

Not miserable, just realistic. I can't speak.for Devon (they do their scones and pasties all wrong ) but in Cornwall, with one hospital that is almost permanently on black alert in a normal winter, it just won't cope with a summer surge of visitors right now (I think the increase in height of summer is normally 5x) and heaven forbid a second wave of c19.

We also have an much older population than other parts of the UK, and a much higher level of poverty, so a second wave will disproportionately hit us here.

And with a much reduced level of beach safety cover, and the whole issue of social distancing for rescue services, the last thing we need is a bunch of weekend solent sailors down here.

Sorry, sounds harsh I know, you call it miserable, I and others call it realistic and pragmatic.

Sandy

Visit site
I am lucky enough to be based in Devon. On the A38, twixt Exeter and Plymouth, near Ashburton they have deployed an Imperial Scout Walker, I'm not sure if it is armed or if there is a garrison of Stormtroopers nearby. I shall let you draw your own conclusions.

Lightwave395

Visit site
Well, it would be good to feel at least not actively unwelcome..! I agree about the Scillies; also the Channel Islands look fairly firmly shut. France is technically possible even now. There's a 'voluntary' quarantine for English visitors but I expect those quarantine rules will go at the start of July. In practice I suspect we could turn up in Brittany today and have no issues - but would we be welcome there? All rather uncertain..

I'll let you know about Brittany, I'm off down to my boat on Sunday ! (y)

Carib

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Probably like many, we're torn about what to do with our cruising this summer - probably July.

If we assume overnight restrictions will be lifted as planned on 4 July, do we think the usual south-west England haunts will, from a marine point of view:

a) be horribly busy (people who'd otherwise sail elsewhere may stay in the UK; this will be the first opportunity to get away for many in a short season; lots of pent up demand);

b) be nice and quiet (people may not have bothered relaunching at all in some cases; they won't be ready to go just yet; people may wait until later in the year)

c) be about normal as a result of the above balancing out?!

Thoughts appreciated!

My main concern is possible restrictions on rafting affecting the capacity of some places meaning that there may be a requirement to book in advance.

With the booking - if payment is required in advance then guaranteeing that I can get from, say, Poole to Dartmouth on a specific day is a financial risk while if no payment is required then the concern is that harbours gets booked out by people reserving spaces 'just in case' and then not being particularly diligent on letting the harbour authority know they are not able to make it.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
That's interesting, thanks. I guess the place to also keep an eye on is the St Mary's harbour page. I heard the islands are really suffering financially due to a reliance on seasonal tourism.

The other half was in communication with one of the camp sites on Tresco and understood there was going to be a meeting to decide on a way forward.

If they don't relax the two meter rule then I think taking the Scilionian and the inter island ferries is going to rather awkward.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Might mention that in my part of South Devon the Local Councils are very slow in opening the Public Toilets, when they do open them, they sometimes shut them up again without warning; so everyone, from Locals, regulars and visitors walk around all day spraying ones hands with bloody chemicals so buying anything to eat or drink tastes and smell quite obnoxious; bloody Town Clerk has notices posted on Closed Toliet Doors stating that we should do as requested, and wash our hands regularly; yea well ' some mothers do ave em' ?

Carib

My main concern is possible restrictions on rafting affecting the capacity of some places meaning that there may be a requirement to book in advance.

A good point - hadn't thought of that. It would seem unnecessary given what we know about the risks of transmission in the open air (and, in terms of touching mooring lines etc, just wash your hands afterwards!). Perhaps just a 'bow to stern' requirement could cover it. Not that this means of course it won't be the official guidance.

PhillM

Visit site
A good point - hadn't thought of that. It would seem unnecessary given what we know about the risks of transmission in the open air (and, in terms of touching mooring lines etc, just wash your hands afterwards!). Perhaps just a 'bow to stern' requirement could cover it. Not that this means of course it won't be the official guidance.
Talking to the HM at Yarmouth last week (cancelling a rally) the issues is contamination of guard rails. Current advice is the virus can live on the wire for 3 days.

[165264]

Visit site
Not miserable, just realistic. I can't speak.for Devon (they do their scones and pasties all wrong ) but in Cornwall, with one hospital that is almost permanently on black alert in a normal winter, it just won't cope with a summer surge of visitors right now (I think the increase in height of summer is normally 5x) and heaven forbid a second wave of c19.

We also have an much older population than other parts of the UK, and a much higher level of poverty, so a second wave will disproportionately hit us here.

And with a much reduced level of beach safety cover, and the whole issue of social distancing for rescue services, the last thing we need is a bunch of weekend solent sailors down here.

Sorry, sounds harsh I know, you call it miserable, I and others call it realistic and pragmatic.
Fair comment

James_Calvert

Visit site
It's too early to say, we are hopeful that the cruising season may start from 4 July or thereabouts, assuming guest houses, hotels, camp sites, second homers, holiday letters all get the go ahead. Which many are assuming, but we won't know until after the government's late June review.

Likewise we don't know what limitations facility providers may have to work to.

Shoreside, the local shops are now opening up in Kingsbridge and Salcombe and are obviously very pleased to see their customers again. Public loos have reopened. Pubs are working with the council to use more open spaces for seating etc on the assumption that social distancing will constrain indoor service.

Once we are allowed to receive visitors again I'm sure they'll have a great welcome.

The local mantra is we're open again, come and support us, be kind, slow down for pedestrians , and stay safe.

We've spent weeks and weeks basically told to keep to ourselves, not even able to visit close or extended family. And that it is very important to do so. As a community we've been made to feel scared of our own neighbours and local townsfolk. The community response to visitors during the lockdown should be seen in that light as well.

In short, don't write off plans for SW cruise. Not yet!

Last edited: