Well worth a read... GGR v La Longue Route

sarabande

Visit site
Fascinating read ! Thanks.

Though the author is open about his affiliation with Windpilot, and very measured in his criticism of the GGR management to opt for Hydrovane, it is made clear that the insistence on the Corinthian aspect of GGR will have severe impacts on safety.

I do not see any valid reason for doing without

"GPS, radar, chart plotters and electronic charts, electronic wind instruments, electronic log, mobile phone, iPhone, iPod, Kindle or any computer based device, CD players, electronic watches/clocks, video cameras and electronic cameras, electronics of any kind, satellite equipment of any kind, digital binoculars, pocket calculators, water-maker, freeze dried food, carbon bre, spectra, any high-tech materials etc."

It is daft. Yes, to avoid massive expenditure on one example, sails, it could have been specified that only Dacron can be used, but I am horrified by the exclusion of core items where huge progress has been made since the Sunday Times race in e.g. food and eatery and charts. Just because people can do without all the exotics does not mean that it is a good or worthwhile ideal to do so..

It's pretty certain that with about 30 boats trying to bash their way round the world without key safety equipment, some poor sod will not come back. I think the GGR 2018 organisers will have (metaphorical) blood on their hands.

billybiltong

Visit site
Are their not other events that you are allowed to all the electronic gear and modern stuff, if that is your choice? This is an event that goes back to basics were the organisers are trying to create the same environment as the original race, testing sailor against the elements. There is a box of electronics that are sealed that the organisers can monitor progress and the skippers can open in emergencies. The skippers are paying an entrance fee, rules are clear, the entries are meant to be experienced and have to have completed qualifying distances. So I guess if you think it's dangerous or you don't have the skill you just don't enter?? Is that not the ethos of the Jesters??

sarabande

Visit site
It's interesting that you should bring up the Jesters as a model.

While the core values appear to be the same, there is a world of difference both in the financial underpinning of the events, and the control and constraints over the entrants possessed by the management.

billybiltong

Visit site
Sarabande,
I totally agree with you,. That's why we have choices on which one we want to enter, if any? Whether it is financial or other, I will follow the GGR with interested. I have my own opinions on whether it is all about making money, safety or both. But it is an adventure and if something happens, folk know what they entering as in the example of the first race. It is a long way around with no modern comforts?
Fair Winds :encouragement:

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
The closer the GGR gets and the more I read about it the less interested I becoming if i'm honest. It seems it shares very little with the original race. I would have much rather seen a varied start date and location keeping it as much the "skipper's" choice. I personally don't have an issue with GPS but I do see the publicity/media attraction of traditional methods.

It's a shame reading about the sponsorship surcharge and copyright clause, it really is starting to sound quite ironic though.

I have been following the Longue Route 2018 and I'm really excited to see how it'll turn out, much more corinthian and Jester, more to my taste. I'll follow the GGR as I follow other large sailing races (like I follow F1, motogp, come to think about it) on the fringes but at the end of the day it's only a platform to further peoples careers, if you wanted to sail round the world you would just do it.

co256

worldwidewaites.blogspot.com
I share many of the sentiments expressed so far...

I was very interested early on in the development of the GGR until the first notice of race was published, suddenly all the rules tied up with fees and financial penalties appeared and I immediately lost interest.

I think the latest news of the shift to France for the start/finish was the final nail in the coffin, it brings the importance of money for the organisation in to sharp focus, reinforced by the recent GGR article that attempts to deny any such thing.

I also empathise with the comment “if you want to do it you’ll just go and do it” who needs an event, Jester or otherwise?!

No doubt I will watch both events with interest but I can certainly live without the organisation and it’s rules and regulations.