Well Wicked Whitby!

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Another great spot. A steam railway visible from the berth and despite a PACKED town, your own quiet, little spot right in the middle - and with the number of senior citizens on coach trips, having yer own loos is handy! A really nice place to hang out on the pontoon.

It's a pretty easy entry, but the bridge only opens HW±2 so the helpful harbour guys will tie you up on the Fish Quay (the waiting pontoon is advised as not there now). Putter through the bridge to the best spot in town.

Whitby rock to the east of the entrance look worthy of respect judging by the breaking waves on a pretty calm day!

Whilst the bridge times are on the half hour & hour, the last bridge is HW + 2 hours - 10mins, rounded to the nearest 5 mins, so do check if you want that bridge.

There is a small, helpful chandler at Coates Marine nearby.

BF's top tips : kippers from the in-town kipper makers (Fortune's kippers) - yum! Walks south to Robin Hood's Bay, North to Sandsend and beyond & catch the train to Grosmont & walk back on the Esk Valley Walk (lunch at the Bridge, Ruswarp if it's open). Beer from The Waiting Room at the station and Arch & Abbey. Fish & chips to takeaway from Mr Chips on the west side.

Draculaness : 5/5
Fish&chipsness : 6/5!
Grittiness : 1
Kissmequickness : 3
IMG_20210917_144011_compress11.jpgIMG_20210917_145411_compress78.jpg

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Is it still a a case of having to pay an extra full day's berthing fee, if one misses the bridge opening & takes the next one 30 mins later, thus putting one just past the daily cut off point???
There was no talk of it - everyone seemed rather relaxed. How long ago was this?

I guess if it's only 30 minutes, one could always cast off & circulate for half an hour.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
We pulled into Whitby for the history as much as anything else; I'm a James Cook fanboy and this pic was taken from his old house. My boat Marihøna is there somewhere. We got licked by a huge, friendly black dog called Dracula, and when it was time to leave the HM was drunk and waived our dues! The Goth festival must be something to see, I will certainly return.242D5DEC-455B-4556-A71F-BDC725FDB48A.jpeg

Blueboatman

Visit site
We pulled into Whitby for the history as much as anything else; I'm a James Cook fanboy and this pic was taken from his old house. My boat Marihøna is there somewhere. We got licked by a huge, friendly black dog called Dracula, and when it was time to leave the HM was drunk and waived our dues! The Goth festival must be something to see, I will certainly return.View attachment 123141
The beautiful ‘ feel good’ boat discount ??