Well - what did you think?

Fergus

Visit site
The sailing was magic, I thought the food was much better than the YC's previous performance and enjoyed the company as ever! Thanks to Roger for all the logistics!

fireball

Visit site
Yup - concur - that was excellent ... thanks to you both!!

superb sailing over, excellent company ... a little shame the wind didn't come round more to the east for the slog back - can you sort that for next year please?! ;)

Chris_Robb

Visit site
The yacht club did a good job - enjoyed it all very much.

Thanks to Roger for all his hard work, and fergus for sniffing out the right venue.

Just get the wind right next time for the return voyage!.

Thanks

Sans Bateau

Visit site
The sailing was magic, I thought the food was much better than the YC's previous performance and enjoyed the company as ever! Thanks to Roger for all the logistics!

I don't believe you, not possible, you are only saying this to annoy me even more!

fireball

Visit site
Unfortunately - it is true (the YC food and company - not that he's trying to annoy you).

Oh - btw - thanks for the txt weather forecast - we got it as we came in via the needles!!

Sailfree

Visit site
Improvements

Had a brief chat with Fergus at YC and we concluded that current format works OK (after all it has evolved over a number of years). Its impossible to square the circle between those that want a barbeque on the green (which I don't think would be allowed) to those that like excellent French Cuisine to those that want to share the evening with other formites and by the very numbers incurrs mass catering.

This year I thought the YC food was the best ever.

My current thoughts are that we continue with YC on an early neap tide Saturday in September with an option for St Vaast for Friday for those that want to do it. If we can continue to berth a number of the bigger boats near each other for the Saturday afternoon then a gathering on the boats and pontoon gives everyone a good opportunity to talk to people before the meal as during the meal most will sit with their crew.

Happy to receive others comments as ideally I would prefer the Cherbourg trip to be like sex - consensual!!

Many thanks to Fergus for doing another good job arranging the meal with the YC. From memory it was fixed menu for previous years with option of a veggie but this year Fergus negotiated a choice for each course which I appreciated. Well done Fergus!!

This year there were 2 boats that wanted to be listed so that they could enjoy the berthing discount but they made it clear that they were unlikely to join us all for the evening meal. As it happens I don't think they turned up but personally I am happy to include others that may prefer to meet everyone on the saturday afternoon but not join us for the YC meal - any views??

fireball

Visit site
I am happy to include others that may prefer to meet everyone on the saturday afternoon but not join us for the YC meal - any views??
As it has no impact on the number of forumites who can attend the meal then I for one am quite happy for them to tag along.

anniebray

Visit site
It was me who requested the additional listing of 2 boats who planned to attend for Sat afternoon but not the dinner. Apologies that we didnt turn up which was due to Mal de Mer hitting both crews but thank you to Roger for the favour & for promoting the event. Hope to attend next year !
Cariad & crew travelled instead to Wareham the home of LadyinBed ! What an incredible experience to voyage up the River Frome and excellent Sat pm meal at the Quay Inn. We thought of you all on Sunday afternoon as we battled in a F6 between St Catherine's & Bembridge. Pleasant stop in Bembridge & excellent meal in Baywatch Restaurant.

rickp

Visit site
As a second-time interloper from the other side, I had a great time. Thanks to Roger and Fergus for their respective bits of organising - I know the effort involved and certainly appreciate it!

The YC food was very good - and great company both in the afternoon and evening.

Finally, many thanks to Fireball for inviting me along with him when BoatMike couldn't make it. Had a cracking sail over and great company in both directions (and great catering laid on by his SWMBO). Thanks!

Sailfree

Visit site
14 active Formites, 33 diners in total but if my boat is anything to go by I had 2 Formites and 4 "lurkers" on board. 3 of the "lurkers" have been to Cherbourg at least 4 times.

Its unfortunate that so many of the regulars could not make it probably like yourself through circumstances beyond their control. I assume over the years there is always a turnover of people moving on and new people joining.

While numbers were down this year I personally thought the quality was high and it was very convivial but maybe I am biased.

MonniotC

Visit site
Great weekend

I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, although the slog back to Chichester was very wet indeed! Great food, great company, and to my amazement nothing on the boat broke (apart from the torches (ingress of water).
Thanks again.
Chris Monniot and crew.