Well thats a result

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
We came to a bit of a stop on Sunday as we realised we need to decide what we are going to use to power it . An outboard seems to be the best option as it can be hidden inside the boat and there is the option of electric , 2 stroke and 4 stroke .
The plans give an option of a short "bay" for an outboard or a long tunnel .
Ive emailed the architect about this as i have two sets of drawings giving both options but dont really understand why i have the two options .
Any opinions ?

My mate Alan and I found a slipper launch in a rotting shed near Sunbury in the sixties when we went to buy a Rudge motorbike. It had one of the pre-war Wolesley six cylinder car engines in it-the sort that had threaded valve stems for tappet adjustment. The owner said if we got it going we could use it. Alan and I came back with a box of tools, but he put his foot through the hull as it was very rotten. It was a bit tatty but had lovely lines. I bet it sounded good with that OHC six burbleing away. I think your idea of a hidden outboard is great. If such things had been available, they would have been used.

bendyone

Visit site
Just a thought have you considered making a fibreglass mould from the hull?
You could then churn them out :D

Got to fit an inboard, any signs of an outboard sticking out would be just plane wrong.

chief1

Visit site
Didn't Woottens Boatyard at Cookham Dean do something like this? IIRC they had a mould to produce plastic bottoms, then completed traditionally with mahogany sides and cockpit and wood tops. They might be able to advise what power plant they used.

TrueBlue

Visit site
You don't need a lot of power for a slipper. One's I looked at had quite humble engines. "Marinised" side valve Austin 7's and Ford 8s. They burble along quietly because theye are mostly at tickover.

Nice 6 cylinder engines were for the large launches - especially the rowing umpire variety, but that was for the occasional burst of speed.

Surely there's someone on these fora who has one and could give better quality information.

paul.norton

Visit site
Just been looking at the Selway Fisher website.

That 16' slipper is definitely spoilt by the outboard sticking above the deck. However, Cuchilo says he is building the 18 footer which the website says is a new design :confused:

They claim the 18' slipper will weigh 772 Lbs and will require 4 - 12 hp. The 20' beaver sterned launch weighs in at 1875 Lbs and is powered by a 1.4 kW motor. The 25' Windsor slipper is 2095 Lbs and may be fitted with 2.5 kW motor or 20 - 30 hp inboard.

Cuchilo says he has an electric outboard which produces a thrust of just over 100 Lbs. Imagine towing an 18' tender at, say 5 knots (Her approximate hull speed). Would the strain on the painter be 100 Lbs? I very much doubt it. Time for some experiments with that electric outboard I think.:)

Paul

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Sorry , maybe i wasnt clear . I have an electric outboard that produces 30lbs of thrust . The biggest they do is 100lbs of thrust . I had a look inside and it does seem that you can extend the wiring and put the controls where you like but i dont think even 100lbs is enough .

paul.norton

Visit site
Just found this http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288827

This spec is interesting:Minn Kota Endura 55 specs.

55 Lbs thrust, 36" shaft, 12 Volts
50 Amp Max Draw
Speeds: 5 forward / 3 reverse
Weedless Wedge 2 prop
6-in telescoping handle
Twist Tiller control
Maximum Boat Length: 21 ft

30 pounds of thrust will not be enough - probably used as a trolling motor.

Paul

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Barry H has come up with an idea that may let us use the outboard . It involves nicking mm where we can and some kind of air intake .....

N304W13W.JPG

17-deluxe-40d-004b.jpg

It may well work .

Last edited:

Mirror Painter

Visit site
Opinion of well intending newbie - DON'T barrell it - looks all wrong. Faux air intake is a great idea. If not enough room from that resort to pretend picnic hamper. But don't barrell it please.

Captain Coochie

Visit site
We cant really get on with anything untill we decide whats going to power the boat . The favorate option is to cut down an outboard so it fits . Apparently its simple .

watson1959

Visit site
If someone needs something in wood from me then i do it . I dont see why that cant work for everything else .

It cant work for everything else because that pre-supposes that other people have your open, creative, 'get stuff done' attitude.

Most people are too locked into black-and-white thinking to be able to think laterally.

Far too serious for a Monday morning......:D