Well thats a result

BarryH

Visit site
A Slipper with an outboard......you do and I'll personally give you a slap! Inboard all the way. A nice throaty burble is whats needed.

Mirror Painter

Visit site
If I may, as a relative newby post my opinion:

If you put a 2 stroke outboard on that boat I shall pop along with BarryH.

If you put a four stroke on it I'll at least hold his coat.

An elctric engine, whilst lacking the lovely 'throaty burble' will at least mean she glides gracefully along. All people will hear will be a slight sloosh of water and the tinkle of your passenger's wine glasses as you pass with style.

Plus you can join the EBA and make new friends :)

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
Sorry but four x 27 litre V-12's are the only way to go in wooden boats....

P1060274.JPG

TrueBlue

Visit site
A Stuart Turner would be lovely.
Hated by those who can't be bothered to learn its foibles and the polished brass and copper would be a great complement to your woodwork.

There used to an enthusiast at the TTBR - such a shame it had to be cancelled this year.

Please, please think of some way of powering it with something appropriate, or at least hiding it.

There's a nice launch at Henley powered by a big Honda outboard mounted inboard and it looks all wrong....

sarabande

Visit site
I've got a little Stuart Turner which I am thinking of changing for a genny plus electric motor..

If you go for electric, you could always put in a s*dding great loudspeaker with a repeating track of those four engines at full chat. :)

That will wake up the NBs.

landlockedpirate

Visit site
I was assuming the outboard would be totally hidden inside the hull . I think we need to do some measuring !

Outboard 4 stroke, fully hidden and with sound insulation. Simple, neat, clean, quick to do and cost effective.

Cant see any down sides, people are going to be looking at the stunning woodwork anyway, not listening to the engine :D

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Outboard 4 stroke, fully hidden and with sound insulation. Simple, neat, clean, quick to do and cost effective.

Cant see any down sides, people are going to be looking at the stunning woodwork anyway, not listening to the engine :D

Thats what we where thinking but i'm not sure if one will fit . I guess i will have to go down to the boat yard and check . O look and the sun is out :D

TrueBlue

Visit site
I was assuming the outboard would be totally hidden inside the hull . I think we need to do some measuring !

You'd have a girt big hole in the bottom of the boat - spoil the lines and integrity
O/B would have to be up to the same height as it would if on the transom
The hole would have to be watertight up to the freeboard of the boat.
You'd need some way of stopping any surge / wash caused by the engine

Needs some thought.

Anyone kind enough to take a picture of the aforementiond launch at Henley. It's on the moorings below the bridge on the offside where the road goes past the shops.

I'll shut up now; best of luck!

Captain Coochie

Visit site
All that has been worked out and is on the drawings but it doesnt show the outboard sticking out of the top on the drawings . Ive been and measured and we have 400mm from the waterline to the top of the deck , thats not enough room to hide an outboard :(

Captain Coochie

Visit site
That is a smart idea . I have a small electric outboard , i'm gonna take it apart and see if it can be rejigged .
The biggest one they do is 101lb thrust . Anyone know what that is in HP ?

paul.norton

Visit site
Googled it - somewhere in the region of one horsepower.

Doesn't sound like much but that probably equates to something like a 2 to 3 hp i.c. outboard.

What size engine do they normally put in a slipper launch?

Paul

BarryH

Visit site
I can get hold of a 4.6 ltr V8. Do it you won't dissappointed. These things are from an oppulant era, not a penny pinching green liberal mamby pamby generation. These things are things of excess and luxury. Do it or I'll epoxy your nuts to the strong back.............