Well thats a result

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Some may remember i changed my moorings last year to the old turks boat yard in Sunbury . The guy is running a small boat yard there doing boat repairs and engine stuff . Anyhow hes interested in all things boaty as i am and i mentioned i had the full plans for a slipper launch over a beer . Today i took the plans down and left them with him while i took the boat out . On my return he had spoken to a few people and was shown a spot at the boat yard where we could build it together and also a stack of reclaimed burma teak that we could use for the build .

This is looking like a very fun summer ahead :)

Captain Coochie

Visit site
It is ! I may suggest we use a cheaper material for the first one so we can make our mistakes and get over any complications before we build one out of gold dust :eek:

emjay

Visit site
I sincerely hope you make it! I think slipper launches are just the bees knees.

I've promised myself one at some point in the future when Mrs Emjay gets tired of playing house on the cruiser. By the way, I saw one up for sale at the Beale boat show last year in lovely condition (restored to former glory) for £26K.

I would bet you could certainly do it for less!!

Good luck,

Mike.

Poignard

Visit site
There's one in the front garden of a house near me, under a tarpaulin. It's been there as long as I can remember. One day, when passing by, I got chatting to the woman of the house about it. She told me it was a beautiful old Thames slipper launch and her husband was going to restore it. That was about 25 years ago!

It's a shame because one day it will probably end up on a bonfire.

Captain Coochie

Visit site
The first frame was made this afternoon . Having looked over the plans and spec with the intent to do this rather than thinking about it there seems to be some kind of mistake that is confusing me . I have emailed the draftsman and he is very fast to get back to me but i guess i will have to wait untill tomorrow for the next reply .

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Now i know where i am with the drawings i got the rest of the frames and moulds made today . I'm doing them in 6mm ply that i had in stock so we can lay everything out full size before we start cutting expensive marine ply .

I have a small advantage in sizing the material ........

001-106.jpg

002-90.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Had a diddle down the boat yard today and got the frames and moulds set up to see what we are doing .....

7443190306_84d1296ee0_z.jpg

It probably doesnt look much but to me it lets me get my head around what we are going to do and get it perfect .

Captain Coochie

Visit site
More done today . The bow and stern have been attached and we have been beefing up the frames and moulds with solid timber .
I think one more day on her and we will be ready to make a strong back , flip her over and start cutting templates for the hull .

Captain Coochie

Visit site
I had a few hours down there today and Andy had beefed up some frames after i left yesterday . Just a few more frames to do and then we will be cutting the hull panels and getting her on the strong back .

001-108.jpg

sarabande

Visit site
err, before you plank up, is it worth thinking about limber holes ? Or are you going for sealed compartments and unsinkability ? :)

And if you want some closed cell foam to line it, then OldBilbo has got about 500 cubic metres in various thicknesses.

Last edited:

Captain Coochie

Visit site
No need . The whole hull is just a full size mock up to iron out any problems before we make the real thing . This way we can add material if there are any gaps and if things go wrong its only cost us £10 for a bit of ply rather than the retail price of £200 for Lloyds approved marine ply :eek:
Good point though and something to think about . Once we have it together we can see what bits are going to be hard to get to and adjust the " jig " to allow for that .