Well done Italy

• Thread starter Deleted User YDKXO
  • Start date
D

Deleted User YDKXO

Congratulations to Italy. Not the best final but I'm really pleased for them as I have many friends and business associates in Italy. They also showed our lot how to take penalties and well and truly laid their penalty shoot out ghosts.
I dont think it affected the outcome but what on earth was Zidane thinking? Shocking incedent. I can only think that Matarazzi said something deeply offensive, maybe even racial, but still no possible excuse for such an action

davidhand

Visit site
After some words Zidane turned round and headbutted Matarazzi in the chest sending him to the ground. Don't worry about missing it it's going to be shown on telly hundreds of times in the next weeks.
Beautiful headbut though, haven't seen the like of that since I last went to South Parade Pier on Saturday night.

Lakesailor

Visit site
So, explain to me again why they don't just do the penalty shoot-out bit instead of running around being unpleasant for a couple of hours first.

guernseyman

Visit site
Apparently the Italian guy had been getting on Zidane's tits (quite literally possibly) throughout. On top of that something was said and, bearing in mind that Italy is very racist and Zidane doesn't like insults, it was the last straw.
However, we still haven't heard Zidane's story, and the Italian guy refused to speak.

Aardee

Visit site
Strange that he butted him in the chest.

Either you've got "the red mist" in which case you'll try to take the other guys head off, or you haven't in which case you don't butt him at all (knowing it'll get you sent off).

I wonder whether he lost it temporarily & started to see sense when it was too late to pull out...?

bluesjunior

Visit site
I seem to remember when Zidane was transferred from Juventus to Real Madrid some years back certain sections of the tabloid press printing nudge. nudge, nods as good as a wink type stories about a wife and an extramarital affair being the reason for the transfer. I imagine something like that could tip one over the edge.

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
He's supposed to be a professional and he's paid enough, though.

We've all seen the reaction of the press if a policeman, earning less in a year than a footballer earns in a week, snaps like that under constant insults and violence.

Why's this footballer not being arrested?

Societies double standards, I suspect.

MapisM

Visit site
Italy is very racist

A bold statement like this deserves some attention.
I had a look at wikipedia, but it doesn't mention this characteristic of ours.
May I ask which are the reasons for your assumption?

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: Italy is very racist

I was tempted to add it, but caution prevailed. I did a risk assessment of adding a naughty line or two, then assessed it against life time risk of those comments being attributed to me

MapisM

Visit site

Viewpoint highly appreciated.
But aren't you possibly underestimating the risk of being considered a supporter of those comments anyway?... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MapisM

Visit site

I'd rather live with the doubt.
Guess who/what inspired this post of mine, almost one year ago.
Or see this other post for a hint...

guernseyman

Visit site

I looked at the wikipedia entry for Italy too. It does seem deficient: as well as omitting the racism, it doesn't mention spaghetti-eating.
As you appear to live there, you must be well aware of the racist behavour at football matches, and the inability of black people to climb your social ladder.

MapisM

Visit site

Ahem. Yes, I live here. Actually, I spent the best part of half a century in this Country.
Is your viewpoint based on a comparable personal experience, or any other sources?
And btw, didn't you say somewhere else that European is what you think you are?